Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Bush Makes a Better Comedian Than He Does Prsident!

Old 03-29-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Bush Makes a Better Comedian Than He Does Prsident!

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss...h_broadcasters

ANN SANNER, Associated Press Writer

Tell us, Mr. President, how have things changed since the last broadcasters' dinner?

"A year ago my approval rating was in the 30s, my nominee for the Supreme Court had just withdrawn, and my vice president had shot someone." "Ah," "those were the good ol' days."

In keeping with the lighthearted traditions of the Radio and Television Correspondents' Association dinner, Bush poked fun at himself and a few others in remarks that drew laughter and applause at the Washington Hilton Hotel.

Bush thanked the organization for providing dinner, "and I'd like to thank Senator Webb for providing security."

Virginia's Democratic senator, Jim Webb, had to explain this week why an aide was carrying a loaded handgun as he tried to enter a Capitol complex building.

Noting that Vice President Dick Cheney was not in attendance, Bush said: "He's had a rough few weeks. To be honest, his feelings were kind of hurt. He said he was going on vacation to Afghanistan where people like him.

Cheney's recent trip to Afghanistan was marked by a bombing near where he was meeting with officials.

On the controversy over the Justice Department's firing of eight federal prosecutors, Bush said: "I have to admit we really blew the way we let those attorneys go. You know you've botched it when people sympathize with lawyers."

Acknowledging House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., at the head table, Bush said some had wondered how he'd get along with her. "Some say she's bossy, she's opinionated, she's not to be crossed," he said. "Hey, I get along with my mother."

Looking ahead to life after leaving the White House, Bush said he might follow President Clinton's lead and produce a memoir.

"I'm thinking of something really fun and creative for mine," he said. "You know, maybe a pop-up book."

Possible titles: "How W. Got His Groove Back," "Who Moved My Presidency?" and "Tuesday with Cheney."

But seriously, folks, Bush noted that another person missing from the audience of broadcast journalists was Sen. Barack Obama, the Illinois Democrat running for president.

"Not enough press," the president cracked.

Comics from the TV show "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" provided the professional humor. Among other things, they persuaded Bush political adviser Karl Rove to participate in an improvised rap song.

The black-tie dinner, the group's 63rd annual gathering of journalists, politicians and their guests, features political and topical humor.

If Bush is impeached, convicted, and removed from office, he can also go to the comedy circuit - that is if he can retain the same joke writers.

Last edited by classicman2; 03-29-07 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-29-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bush would make a better anything than he does President.
Old 03-29-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it's so damn funny laughing at the most destructive and reckless administration in history. Real knee slappers.
Old 03-29-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cungar
Yeah it's so damn funny laughing at the most destructive and reckless administration in history. Real knee slappers.
A lot of presidents thank you for believing that.
Old 03-29-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure he was just relieved that Stephen Colbert wasn't there this year.
Old 03-29-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A few years ago, I read a memoir by Mark Katz, who wrote jokes for President Clinton. It was pretty good. I hope whoever writes President Bush's jokes comes out with a memoir someday.

Great Mark Katz anecdote about working for Gore during the 2000 campaign:

"During the 2000 election, they found Goreís grades from his junior year of HarvardóCís and Dís. The joke was 'that was also the year that I invented the bong.' He laughed for about five minutes, then said, 'I just canít tell this joke.'Ē
Old 03-29-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
A few years ago, I read a memoir by Mark Katz, who wrote jokes for President Clinton. It was pretty good. I hope whoever writes President Bush's jokes comes out with a memoir someday.

Great Mark Katz anecdote about working for Gore during the 2000 campaign:

"During the 2000 election, they found Goreís grades from his junior year of HarvardóCís and Dís. The joke was 'that was also the year that I invented the bong.' He laughed for about five minutes, then said, 'I just canít tell this joke.'Ē

I may have to read that book.
Old 03-29-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I may have to read that book.
http://www.amazon.com/Clinton-Me-Rea...5185230&sr=8-1

You can read the first half dozen pages on Amazon, as well as the index (which is hilarious -- yes, the index is hilarious).
Old 03-29-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What frightens me most is that he may not even know they were supposed to be jokes.
Old 03-29-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
http://www.amazon.com/Clinton-Me-Rea...5185230&sr=8-1

You can read the first half dozen pages on Amazon, as well as the index (which is hilarious -- yes, the index is hilarious).
Ok, you just made me buy a copy from Amazon (used, though so less than $5).
Old 03-29-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those are some pretty good 1 liners.
Old 03-29-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He's a better President than some people are at spelling!
Old 03-29-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bushdog
Those are some pretty good 1 liners.
I thought so too - especially the first one.
Old 03-29-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's was better CEO than President (wait???) or better owner of a baseball team (really?) What has he succeeded at (other than connecting with the common man?) He does win, I suppose. He's been wrong about just about everything, though.
Old 03-29-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The more I think about this, the more I'm annoyed. It's like my company's president getting up at the Xmas party to make jokes about what a terrible boss he is. He should be worried about that, not glib.
Old 03-29-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hope I never have to see or hear Karl Rove rapping, ever.
Old 03-29-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
The more I think about this, the more I'm annoyed. It's like my company's president getting up at the Xmas party to make jokes about what a terrible boss he is. He should be worried about that, not glib.
Look, I hate the guy, but I thought this was funny. It's normal for a President to make self-deprecating jokes at these types of events.
Old 03-29-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the jokes themselves are funny, I just don't think it's funny for Bush himself to be making them.
Old 03-29-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lord Rick
Look, I hate the guy, but I thought this was funny. It's normal for a President to make self-deprecating jokes at these types of events.
I don't think it's appropriate to make such specific jokes. If he wants to make jokes about being clumsy, his family, pretzels, or even his "bushisms", that's one thing, but to make light of the colossal fuckups he's been responsible for is just disturbing.
Old 03-29-07, 07:07 PM

The fact that he's president is what makes what he does so funny.

And sad.
Old 03-29-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Draven, Jason,

Please!!

You can't be serious.

Presidents for years and years have been making jokes about themselves & others at this particular function.

Lighten up a little.
Old 03-29-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I watched performance last night I couldn't help but think how comfortable and at-ease he seemed. His timing was also pretty good. He doesn't seem nearly as comfprtable whe he is making serious speeches.
Old 03-29-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
While I watched performance last night I couldn't help but think how comfortable and at-ease he seemed. His timing was also pretty good. He doesn't seem nearly as comfprtable whe he is making serious speeches.
That's because he either doesn't believe or doesn't understand his serious speeches. And it makes him nervous.

Old 03-29-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
I hope I never have to see or hear Karl Rove rapping, ever.

Watch it again!
Old 03-29-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by crazyronin

Watch it again!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.