Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Video: "The differences between Democrats and Republicans"

Old 03-29-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Video: "The differences between Democrats and Republicans"

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2016729702">Black & White On the Grey Matters</a><br><br><embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=2016729702&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="386"></embed><br><br><a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.addToProfileConfirm&videoid=2016729702&title=Black & White On the Grey Matters">Add to My Profile</a> | <a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.home"> More Videos</a>

I think the guy's spot on. Thoughts?

Last edited by MartinBlank; 03-29-07 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-29-07, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it quite a bit and agree with most of it, but then again I'm a conservative and it's mostly preaching to the choir. I'm sure a liberal will hate every last minute.
It did fall apart a bit at the end though.

Who is he?
Old 03-29-07, 06:58 AM

I think if you walked into any random bar and asked any random drunk what he thinks about politics, you'd probably get a more intelligent and coherent response than this idiot's drivel.
Old 03-29-07, 08:47 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I especially like how he sets it up as conservative Republicans vs. liberal Democrats and says how he doesn't want to get into the "nuances" of "moderates or Libertarians" or others because it's too distracting. Or simply doesn't fit in with his black and white view. Real-life nuances tend to mess that shit up.
Old 03-29-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't need to watch a blank video.
Old 03-29-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Only the carbon blobs can't see a difference between the two parties.
Old 03-29-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What? Spot on with a crying smiley face?
Old 03-29-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I think if you walked into any random bar and asked any random drunk what he thinks about politics, you'd probably get a more intelligent and coherent response than this idiot's drivel.
I think wendersfan is spot on. Thoughts?
Old 03-29-07, 10:21 AM

As a random drunk, I resent getting compared to the guy in the video in any capacity.
Old 03-29-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF
I think wendersfan is spot on. Thoughts?
I agree. We should attack the messenger at all costs. Not the message. Everyone who thinks differently from me is stupid!
Old 03-29-07, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I agree. We should attack the messenger at all costs. Not the message. Everyone who thinks differently from me is stupid!
Your criticisms are invalid because,

1. The person who performed in the video is the person who wrote it, therefore, he's not a "messenger". He and the message are one and the same (in a sense), so attacking him is attacking the message, and vice versa.

2. There are differences in opinion, and there is just stupid. Saying Michael Jordan was a better basketball player than Kobe Bryant is because MJ is a better defender is a difference of opinion. Saying Jordan is better than Bryant because Kobe is a three-toed marsupial is stupid.
Old 03-30-07, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, liberals calling someone with the opposite opinion drunk or stupid? Who'd a thunk it?
I personally think he was very intelligent and articulate (but I'm a conservative like I said) speaking in a way that is directed towards a younger audience. I think its important that young people hear the other side for a change instead of a constant stream of mindless liberal blather (see I can call people I disagree with stupid too).

I let my 14 year old watch it and he really liked it as well.

Like I said earlier, he did kind of fall apart towards the end, but the first half was worth watching.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 03-30-07 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-30-07, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Wow, liberals calling someone with the opposite opinion drunk or stupid? Who'd a thunk it?
I'm not a liberal, but thanks for playing.
Old 03-30-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Not to worry. Someone else will probably call you a conservative sometime today so it all evens out. I've been there.
Old 03-30-07, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Not to worry. Someone else will probably call you a conservative sometime today so it all evens out. I've been there.
It happens all the time. Somedays, you just can't win.
Old 03-30-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I personally think he was very intelligent and articulate (but I'm a conservative like I said) speaking in a way that is directed towards a younger audience. I think its important that young people hear the other side for a change instead of a constant stream of mindless liberal blather (see I can call people I disagree with stupid too).

I let my 14 year old watch it and he really liked it as well.

Like I said earlier, he did kind of fall apart towards the end, but the first half was worth watching.
Why must conservatives point out when a black man is "intelligent and articulate"?

What is so "intelligent" about reciting the same canned conservative talking points?
Old 03-30-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love you guys. I don't have to click on the video since I know what it's about now. And the same partisan bullshit carries on.
Old 03-30-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go into the CC thread in other. There's a good chance you'll be called a right wing extremist.
Old 03-30-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer
Why must conservatives point out when a black man is "intelligent and articulate"?

"I'm not a conservative, but thanks for playing."
Old 03-30-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is so "intelligent" about reciting the same canned conservative talking points?
What exactly are these "canned conservative talking points"?
Old 03-30-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
What exactly are these "canned conservative talking points"?
Conservatives believe in personal responsibility, Liberals believe in the government hand-outs because people can't help themselves.

Conservatives have a positive "can do" attitude, Liberals are whiners.

Conservatives believe that citizens know how best to spend their own money, Liberals want to redistribute wealth.

Conservatives are truthful, Liberals are liars.

Conservatives espouse family values, Liberals are immoral.

Conservatives believe in upholding the law, Liberals believe the laws are discriminatory.

Conservatives are patriotic, Liberals are traitors.

...and on and on.

Do these ring any bells? Have you heard of any of these before? I've heard all of these for the last 30 years. I've also heard similarly canned Liberal talking points. All of them are a bunch of hooey.
Old 03-30-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by crazyronin

"I'm not a conservative, but thanks for playing."
Did I say ONLY conservatives? No. But an overwhelming majority of those who point out that a black man is "intelligent and articulate" are Republicans/Conservatives. Even when these men are of their own party... like Alan Keyes and Colin Powell.
Old 03-30-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did I say ONLY conservatives? No.
Let's see...

Certainly implied. A more even-handed sentence would have said "anyone" and not "conservatives".

But an overwhelming majority of those who point out that a black man is "intelligent and articulate" are Republicans/Conservatives. Even when these men are of their own party... like Alan Keyes and Colin Powell.
Really? find me a couple of examples since they are the "overwhelming majority", and while you're at it see if they find the fact so astounding that they finish the statement with the line, "Its a storybook, man".

Lastly it was a play on wendersfan's response to DeputyDave, so lighten up Francis
Old 03-30-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bushdog
I don't have to click on the video since I know what it's about now. And the same partisan bullshit carries on.
Good move. I watched it for a couple of minutes and it's nothing but oversimplified, trite cliches about liberals. It does make me want to throw a sub party, though.

Old 03-30-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only watched the first minute or so and in that time he made very few points, but I did enjoy this line: "You can't clean up a mess by shitting on it." First I envisioned it literally and found it to be true, then I prayed Dan Rather would adopt it as one of his folksy Texas sayings.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.