Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Judge Tells Battered Muslim Wife: Koran Says 'Men Are in Charge of Women'

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-23-07, 02:16 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260580,00.html

Friday , March 23, 2007

BERLIN —

Politicians and Muslim leaders denounced a German judge for citing the Koran in her rejection of a Muslim woman's request for a quick divorce on grounds she was abused by her husband.

JudgeChrista Datz-Winter said in a recommendation earlier this year that both partners came from a "Moroccan cultural environment in which it is not uncommon for a man to exert a right of corporal punishment over his wife," according to the court. The woman is a German of Moroccan descent married to a Moroccan citizen.

The judge argued that her case was not one of exceptional hardship in which fast-track divorce proceedings would be justified. When the woman protested, Datz-Winter cited a passage from the Koran that reads in part, "men are in charge of women."

The judge was removed from the case on Wednesday and the Frankfurt administrative court said it was considering disciplinary action.

Court vice president Bernhard Olp said Thursday the judge "regrets that the impression arose that she approves of violence in marriage."

While the Koranic verse cited does say that husbands are allowed to beat their wives if they are disobedient, Germany's Institute for Islamic Questions noted that such an interpretation was no longer standard.

"Of course not all Muslims use violence against their wives," the group said in a statement.

Olp said the judge thought she was protecting the woman, who had been granted a restraining order against her husband. She had seen no reason to grant help in paying court costs for a fast-track divorce.

Olp said her reasoning was unacceptable, but insisted it was a "one-time event" that would not have an effect on other cases, or on the final ruling in the divorce proceedings.

The latest uproar comes amid an ongoing debate in Germany about integrating its more than 3 million Muslims, most of them from Turkey. A decision last year to cancel an opera featuring the severed heads of the Prophet Muhammad and other religious figures out of security concerns caused a furor and was later retracted.

Justice Minister Brigitte Zypries condemned the judge's decision.

"Every so often, there are individual rulings that seem completely incomprehensible," she said.

Lawmakers from Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats said traditional Islamic law, or Sharia, had no place in Germany.

"The legal and moral concepts of Sharia have nothing to do with German jurisprudence," Wolfgang Bosbach, a lawmaker with the Christian Democrats, told N24 television.

"One thing must be clear: In Germany, only German law applies. Period."

Ronald Pofalla, the party's general secretary, told Bild: "When the Koran is put above the German constitution, I can only say: Good night, Germany."

Representatives of Germany's Muslim population were also critical of the ruling.

"Violence and abuse of people — whether against men or women — are, of course, naturally reasons to warrant a divorce in Islam as well," the country's Central Council of Muslims said in a statement.

The mass-circulation Bild daily asked in a front-page article: "Where are we living?" The left-leaning Tageszeitung headlined its Thursday edition: "In the name of the people: Beating allowed."
The judge should have added the famous words: "Put some ice on it."

Strange that this sort of thing would happen in Germany.
Old 03-23-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what do you call a woman with a black eye?

a wife that doesn't listen
Old 03-23-07, 02:23 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

What do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes:

Nothing, you've already told her twice.
Old 03-23-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is a pretty bizarre ruling. Imagine if a judge in the US used a Bible to influence his ruling? Oh wait that probably happens already.
Old 03-23-07, 02:35 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
That is a pretty bizarre ruling. Imagine if a judge in the US used a Bible to influence his ruling? Oh wait that probably happens already.
Why not our SC Justices use laws from whacko-land in their rulings sometimes.
Old 03-23-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Even more bizarre considering the judge is a woman. My guess is she's a submissive in a BDSM relationship.
Old 03-23-07, 02:51 PM

Bizarre ruling, but at least it's getting denounced from all sides.
Old 03-23-07, 04:35 PM

Curious to know on what grounds multiculturalists are denouncing this.
Old 03-23-07, 04:37 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Bizarre ruling, but at least it's getting denounced from all sides.
Old 03-23-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bhk
The judge should have added the famous words: "Put some ice on it."
I would have to kick her ass.
Old 03-23-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Koran Says 'Men Are in Charge of Women'
Don't the Southern Baptists say pretty much the same thing?
Old 03-23-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, but they kill so few less.
Old 03-23-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Even more bizarre considering the judge is a woman. My guess is she's a submissive in a BDSM relationship.
You want her number, don't you?
Old 03-23-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jason
You mean Southernbaptofascists?
Old 03-23-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With all seriousness obviously something is wrong with her head. Some kind of insanity and/or stupidity.
Old 03-23-07, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Old 03-23-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk God

But I think he has an interesting point.
Old 03-23-07, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave

But I think he has an interesting point.
Maybe, but I just had to post that cartoon...
Old 03-23-07, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhk
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260580,00.html

Strange that this sort of thing would happen in Germany.
Not really. Germany is rather odd these days.
Old 03-24-07, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait til muslim women in Germany and the rest of Europe get part of their voting rights taken away

Shari'a law says they are worth 1/2 a man, so its only a matter of time before a judge makes their vote a 1/2 a vote.

It's going to happen. In this PC world everyone is afraid of offending Muslims.

Its happening here in the US too, in Minnesota. Muslim cashiers at Target stores in Minnesota are refusing to handle customers buying pork products. Muslim taxi drivers at the Minneapolis airport are refusing to pick up not just drunk passengers, but passengers that are holding on to alcohol (ex. liquor from a duty free store at the airpot) or passengers with animals...even guide dogs for the blind. While this goes against US rules and company rules it doesnt go against Shari'a law, and they get away with it because everyone is afraid to stand up to them
Old 03-24-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Maybe on the grounds that other cultures should be respected, but not when it comes to ignoring the laws of the country you live in? Like, it's okay if you want to buy some land, throw up a mosque, and hold services, but it's not okay to take women there to beat them, even if it says it's okay in your little book.

Dunno, just throwing something out there.
Old 03-24-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
Shari'a law says they are worth 1/2 a man, so its only a matter of time before a judge makes their vote a 1/2 a vote.
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons
What crazy country was that from again? I believe it was one that counted women as 0/2 a man.

My point being... well, I have no point. You ask too much.
Old 03-24-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
Its happening here in the US too, in Minnesota. Muslim cashiers at Target stores in Minnesota are refusing to handle customers buying pork products.
when I heard that on the news the other day my first thought was "get another job" followed by "work in a different department of Target" followed by "Target should fire them all and hire non muslims"
Old 03-24-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
What crazy country was that from again? I believe it was one that counted women as 0/2 a man.

My point being... well, I have no point. You ask too much.
our law was changed, has Shari'a law been changed to remove such a stupid thing?
Old 03-24-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
Some southern baptists believe the man is the head of the household like Christ is the head of the church...but that means men should sacrifice for their familes like christ sacrificed for the church....not beat them

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.