Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Senate Democrats' budget leaves (Iraq) war funding (and Bush tax cuts) intact

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-16-07, 11:29 AM
Political Exile

OK. I have to admit that I'm just a wee bit confused over this. Democrats have repeatedly spoken out against the Iraq War and the Bush tax cuts.

http://usatoday.printthis.clickabili...partnerID=1660

Senate Democrats' budget leaves war funding intact

By Richard Wolf, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — Senate Democrats will unveil a 2008 budget today that would boost spending for uninsured children, students and veterans without cutting funds for defense or the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The budget also would not roll back any of President Bush's tax cuts after 2010, when they are set to expire.
It says the tax cuts can be extended if they are paid for.

The spending plan, to be voted on Thursday by the Senate Budget Committee, is more specific about its additions than its subtractions. Most decisions on how to pay for new spending or tax cuts are left to the committees that will turn the budget blueprint into legislation.

"We do not tell them how to raise the money," said Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., who chairs the budget panel. "We do not tell (them) how to spend the money."

In fact, the budget is most notable for what it would not do, despite Democrats' attacks: reduce Bush's war spending or tax cuts. Senate Democrats do not want to be seen as hurting troops or taxpayers. House Democrats will unveil their proposal next week.

It will be the first budget written solely by Democrats in 13 years.

The omissions and lack of specifics on how the new initiatives would be paid for prompted questions from Republicans.

"We'll need to take a look at the details to see if the math adds up to a tax increase on American families and job creators, a move which would put our strong economy in jeopardy," White House budget director Rob Portman said.

The budget resolution sets the parameters for the tax and spending bills that comprise the federal budget. It does not have to get passed, and it does not require the president's signature. But without it, the budget process in Congress usually breaks down, as it did last year when Republicans failed to pass most appropriations bills.

Highlights of the plan:

•This year's $248 billion budget deficit would rise to $249 billion next year. By 2012, it would be replaced by a $132 billion surplus.

•The Children's Health Insurance Program would get up to $50 billion more over five years, about $45 billion more than Bush proposed and enough to insure all eligible children. Education programs would get about $6 billion more than Bush proposed next year, and veterans programs would rise by about $3.5 billion.

•The Defense and State departments would get the full $142 billion Bush seeks in 2008 for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Democrats also kept Bush's proposed $481 billion defense budget, a $49 billion boost over this year.

•Tax rates would not be increased, but the budget would seek to clamp down on tax cheats and offshore tax shelters to raise new revenue. The alternative minimum tax, which targets the rich, would not raise taxes on the middle class for two years — one year more than Bush proposes.
Old 03-16-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk God

So all the talk to rally their own supporters ends up doing nothing. They may think they are better off politically to have the war continue despite what they actually think is the best course.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Just like we said when they all got elected.
Old 03-16-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

•Tax rates would not be increased, but the budget would seek to clamp down on tax cheats and offshore tax shelters to raise new revenue. The alternative minimum tax, which targets the rich, would not raise taxes on the middle class for two years — one year more than Bush proposes.
And this is crap. By next year, any couple making $100,000 combined and taking the standard deduction will get hit with the ATM.
Old 03-16-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Never was there a serious effort to rollback the tax cuts.

They simply won't be extended.

Do you'll remember the grand surplus projections made by the Bush administration for 2012?
Old 03-16-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by grundle
OK. I have to admit that I'm just a wee bit confused over this. Democrats have repeatedly spoken out against the Iraq War and the Bush tax cuts.
??

Old 03-16-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

BTW: This is the Senate budget.

Maybe before you make statements about not doing nothing about Iraq funding, you ought to wait and see what comes out of the House.

Then you might to wait to see what comes out of budget reconciliation.
Old 03-16-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
And this is crap. By next year, any couple making $100,000 combined and taking the standard deduction will get hit with the ATM.
Yeah, I'm worried we'll get screwed soon enough.
Old 03-16-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't recall a single Democratic Senator publically stateing that he wanted to cut funding for the Iraq War.

I believe the author of this thread is a little confused.
Old 03-16-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

have more kids, reduce your AGI

i keep hearing that democrats are trying to reform the AMT because it affects their voters in most cases and they are afraid of the AMT staying the way it is.

liberals are only liberal as long as they don't pay the taxes
Old 03-16-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk God

On the other side, you've got politicians like Sen. Charles Grassley (R/IA) who doesn't want to reform the AMT - he wants to do away it.

I wonder why?
Old 03-16-07, 12:06 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Because it was designed to catch a few super rich in the past and he's figured out that the super rich will always be smarter and a step ahead of the government.
Old 03-16-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

I always thought the reason was that he, along with a bunch of other Repubs, didn't want the super rich to pay any taxes.
Old 03-16-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2
On the other side, you've got politicians like Sen. Charles Grassley (R/IA) who doesn't want to reform the AMT - he wants to do away it.

I wonder why?
Perhaps he thinks there should only be one tax code instead of two. Not popular in government to only have one complex system when you can have two, but still a decent idea.

Or maybe he doesn't have enough faith in the government to actually fix it and elimination seems the proper course.

Perhaps if it had been properly crafted to include an inflation index when it was originally passed, none of this would be an issue.
Old 03-16-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd love to get hit with the ATM, especially if it's not sturdy enough to hold all the money inside.

Now, AMT, that's another matter.
Old 03-16-07, 12:27 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought the reason was that he, along with a bunch of other Repubs, didn't want the super rich to pay any taxes.
People like John Kerry, Herb Kohl, Warren Buffet don't pay taxes anyways.
Old 03-16-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

I invite folks who doubt Grassley's view on taxes to watch CSPAN-2 when he speaks, as if in morning business, on the Senate floor.

There are 2 things that Grassley loves - the drug companies and the rich not having to pay taxes.
Old 03-16-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'd love to get hit with the ATM
So is it your mouth, or Short Bus'?
Old 03-16-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fast, but I saw it, you know who.
Old 03-16-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In truth, they will pass another one year revision of the AMT exemption so this doesn't happen. They do it every year, but it is well into the year before they do it, so you can't really do tax planning. Last year, the relief wasn't passed until APril, and this year's still isn't (to my knowledge).
Old 03-16-07, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
liberals are only liberal as long as they don't pay the taxes
I know a bunch of liberals who don't mind paying taxes, and actually think they should be higher. Unfortunately for me, my wife is one of these people.
Old 03-16-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

My accountant doesn't know any liberals who don't try to lower their taxes.
Old 03-16-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I know a bunch of liberals who don't mind paying taxes, and actually think they should be higher. Unfortunately for me, my wife is one of these people.

that's probably because they don't pay the AMT and like a lot of people only pay around 15% even if they make $100,000 a year. once they get hit with the real 28% plus FICA and Medicare they will complain
Old 03-16-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I'm not a liberal, and I certainly think some people should pay considerably more taxes.
Old 03-16-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Actually, I think you just think rich people should pay considerably more taxes.
Old 03-16-07, 03:29 PM
Political Exile

the author of this thread is a little confused.

Yes.

That's what I said in my first post.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.