Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

CIVIL WAR: DeLay Dishes Dirt on Fellow Repubs

Old 03-15-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

CIVIL WAR: DeLay Dishes Dirt on Fellow Repubs

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03152007...t_d__novak.htm

By ROBERT D. NOVAK

March 15, 2007 -- NEWT Gingrich's attempted phoenix-like rise from his own political ashes to a presidential candidacy next week will run into a harsh assessment by his former House GOP colleague, Tom DeLay. The ex-majority leader's memoir assails Gingrich as an "ineffective" House speaker with a flawed moral compass.

Gingrich is not the only erstwhile political ally to feel DeLay's wrath. In "No Retreat, No Surrender: One American's Fight," DeLay is even more critical of his predecessor as majority leader, Dick Armey, and assails George W. Bush for being more compassionate than conservative. Even DeLay's handpicked speaker succeeding Gingrich, J. Dennis Hastert, is accused along with Gingrich and Armey of opening the door to the Democratic purge of him.

DeLay is an angry man after being driven from the leadership, from Congress and, so far, from public life by "a concerted effort to destroy me legally, financially and personally" through a 2005 indictment in Texas. DeLay's response to Democratic District Attorney Ronnie Earle is familiar. What is unusual are his claims that "pre-existing tensions I had with Gingrich and Armey" partially explain their role in kicking DeLay out of the leadership.

DeLay admits that the team of Speaker Gingrich, Majority Leader Armey and Majority Whip DeLay, empowered by the 1994 elections, "were not a cohesive team, and this hindered our ability to change the nation." He puts most blame "at Newt Gingrich's door."

In describing Gingrich as an "ineffective speaker," DeLay writes: [b]"He knew nothing about running meetings and nothing about driving an agenda." He adds: "Nearly every other day he had a new agenda, a new direction he wanted us to take. It was impossible to follow him."

DeLay also declares "our leadership was in no moral shape to press" impeachment against President Bill Clinton. Writing well before Gingrich's admission for the first time last week, DeLay asserts: "It is now public knowledge that Newt Gingrich was having an affair with a staffer during the entire impeachment crisis. Clearly, men with such secrets are not likely to sound a high moral tone at a moment of national crisis."

DeLay refers to Armey as "so blinded by ambition as to be useless to the cause," a "poor leader" who had "few fresh ideas." He adds that Armey "resented anyone he thought might get in the way of his becoming speaker of the House. Beware the man drunk with ambition." His version of the failed 1997 coup attempt against Gingrich pleads innocence and accuses Armey, after realizing he would not succeed Gingrich, of telling the speaker that DeLay was plotting against him: "He had lied to cover his ambitions, betraying both his movement and his fellow leaders."

The memoir ends DeLay's reticence in criticizing President Bush. Deriding Bush's self-identification as "a compassionate conservative," DeLay asserts "he has expanded government to suit his purpose, especially in the area of education. He may be compassionate, but he is certainly no conservative in the classic sense." He also charges that Bush has failed to stress the role of the U.S. troops fighting in Iraq, adding, "typically . . . no one at the White House was listening" to his advice.

I generally don't agree with Tom DeLay; but, I believe his assessment of Bush, Gingrich, Armey, & Hastert is correct.

Last edited by classicman2; 03-15-07 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-15-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the situation is more complicated than the term "civil war" indicates. There is infighting against other republicans, fighting against opposition forces (the Democrats) and a struggle for political gain when the new government takes shape in '08.

Old 03-15-07, 03:42 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Civil War? For a second, I thought we had another Iraq thread on our hands.
Old 03-15-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

A man with no moral compass. He may have to run on the other ticket.

We've moved on to Fred Thompson, anyway.
Old 03-15-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oops. I forgot to say "criminal elements" as well.
Old 03-15-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Delay is a bitter dude.
Old 03-15-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
Civil War? For a second, I thought we had another Iraq thread on our hands.
Civil War? For a second, I thought I was in Comic Book Talk.
Old 03-15-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
A man with no moral compass. He may have to run on the other ticket.
You mean the Libertarians? Sorry, I hear they're all infatuated with Michael Bloomberg.

Originally Posted by kvrdave
We've moved on to Fred Thompson, anyway.
We?
Old 03-15-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk God

The fued between Armey & DeLay has been long standing. They actually hate one another. I sometimes felt that we'd witness another Hamilton-Burr thing.

Last edited by classicman2; 03-15-07 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-15-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But on a quasi-serious note: is the impending release of this book the reason for Gingrich's recent admissions?

Let's remember that the Mafia fell apart when the rule of Omerta took a backseat to each person saving their own ass. Might the GOP fall the same way?
Old 03-15-07, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
You mean the Libertarians? Sorry, I hear they're all infatuated with Michael Bloomberg.
Michael Bloomberg? You must be joking.
Old 03-15-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114
Delay is a bitter dude.
Some would argue that he has some right to be bitter after what Gingrich and Armey tried to pull.
Old 03-15-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
Some would argue that he has some right to be bitter after what Gingrich and Armey tried to pull.
I was talking about the recent tribulations. If you see him on the news, he uses all the rhetoric - and its all because of the "leftists" (his term). He sounds like some of the members of this forum.

He doesn't seem awfully sharp either.
Old 03-15-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Michael Bloomberg? You must be joking.
Yeah, actually... I made an inane comment at one point about how the Libertarians should try and recruit Michael Bloomberg to run for President.

That didn't fly with some of our esteemed Libertarian members...
Old 03-15-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Does anyone here remember the event that finally led up to Gingrich totally becoming Bill Clinton's bitch?
Old 03-15-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The fued between Armey & DeLay has been long standing. They actually hate one another. I sometimes felt that we'd witness another Hamilton-Burr thing.
"Felt" or "wished"?
Old 03-15-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NCMojo
:

You're a stand-up guy, Mojo, and don't let anyone tell you differently.

Now when are we having our DL DE lovin'?
Old 03-15-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Does anyone here remember the event that finally led up to Gingrich totally becoming Bill Clinton's bitch?

I had forgotten. I remember him becoming Clinton's bitch, but can't remember why.
Old 03-15-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still wondering wheres the civil war part of this whole thing???
Old 03-15-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe Newt appeared to be moving so fast because at the time, Republicans were stagnating.
Old 03-15-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
Still wondering wheres the civil war part of this whole thing???
Well wonder no more. It's an internal 'fight' among factions within the Republican Party. You know, kind of like it is in Iraq. Or perhaps you don't believe that's a civil war either.
Old 03-15-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well wonder no more. It's an internal 'fight' among factions within the Republican Party. You know, kind of like it is in Iraq. Or perhaps you don't believe that's a civil war either.
Heavens, people in the same party not agreeing!!!

Sound the alarm!!!

I don't know what to believe anymore! People in the same party not being mindless drones and agreeing on everything. This has NEVER happened EVER in politics.

News flash, putting CIVIL WAR in the title thread....just a tad over dramatic
Old 03-15-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
News flash, putting CIVIL WAR in the title thread....just a tad over dramatic
Says the man in love with his CAPS LOCK key.
Old 03-16-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk God

It was a hell of a lot more than people not agreeing.
Old 03-16-07, 12:15 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I don't disagree with what DeLay says. Now, I'm not sure about his comments of the internal workings of those people.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.