Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2006 Club For Growth ratings are out

Old 03-15-07, 01:23 PM

The 2006 Club For Growth ratings are out

Special interest ratings have long fascinated me. Here's an article about those comiled by the Club For Growth.

<a href = "http://www.cqpolitics.com/2007/03/club_for_growth_takes_moment_o.html"><b>Club for Growth Takes Moment Off ‘RINO’ Hunt to Laud Allies</a></b>
By Rachel Kapochunas | 7:42 PM; Mar. 14, 2007

The highly assertive conservative political action organization Club for Growth is best known for letting the world know which congressional Republicans it least likes — namely moderates who the group labels as Republicans in Name Only, or RINOs.

But the club also takes the time to laud the business-oriented conservatives who score highest on its legislative scorecard. The report from the group on its 2006 congressional ratings, released Wednesday, awarded 22 members of Congress, all of them Republicans, its “Defender of Economic Freedom” award for racking up a 90 percent score or higher.

Among the members praised for espousing “pro-economic growth” policies are at least a couple facing tough campaigns in 2008.

Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback, who scored 98 percent on the Club for Growth’s rating scale, is staging a longshot bid for the Republican presidential nomination. The Club for Growth recently issued a complimentary analysis of his economic policy agenda in its series of reports on the 2008 Republican White House candidates, which have included negative critiques of Arizona Sen. John McCain and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

Republican Sen. John E. Sununu of New Hampshire — who on Wednesday also gained attention as the first Republican senator to call for the removal of Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales because of the flap caused by the recent firings of eight federal prosecutors — received a 100 percent score from the Club for Growth for the second consecutive year.

He faces a potentially threatening challenge in New Hampshire, a state that pivoted sharply against his party in last year’s big Democratic upsurge. The club already made its mark on the race by announcing its backing for Sununu on Feb. 25, the group’s first endorsement of the campaign cycle.

Two other high-rankers on the club’s scorecard, Georgia’s Saxby Chambliss and Oklahoma’s James M. Inhofe, could face serious opposition in next year’s Senate races but currently look relatively secure. Wyoming’s Michael B. Enzi is up next year, and currently is rated safe for re-election by CQPolitics.com.

One of the Club for Growth’s Senate “Defenders” is retiring — Colorado’s Wayne Allard — and Democrats are plotting a serious takeover bid in his state, where they have made significant gains over the past two election cycles.

The nine House Republicans who led the Club for Growth’s 2006 scorecard all represent conservative strongholds and won re-election last year by comfortable margins. But the 10th, Chris Chocola, lost his bid for re-election in Indiana’s politically competitive 2nd District to Democrat Joe Donnelly.

The following are the Club for Growth’s designees as “Defenders of Economic Freedom” for 2006, with their scores.

Senate

Sen. Tom Coburn, Okla. 100
Sen. Jim DeMint, S.C. 100
Sen. John E. Sununu, N.H. 100
Sen. Michael B. Enzi, Wyo. 99
Sen. Sam Brownback, Kan. 98
Sen. Jon Kyl, Ariz. 94
Sen. Jim Bunning, Ky. 94
Sen. John Ensign, Nev. 94
Sen. James M. Inhofe, Okla. 94
Sen. Saxby Chambliss, Ga. 93
Sen. Judd Gregg, N.H. 92
Sen. Wayne Allard, Colo. 90

House (Districts in parentheses)

Rep. Jeff Flake, Ariz. (6) 100
Rep. John Shadegg, Ariz. (3) 100
Rep. Jeb Hensarling, Texas (5) 100
Rep. Trent Franks, Ariz. (2) 98
Rep. Mike Pence, Ind. (6) 97
Rep. Steve King, Iowa (5) 94
Rep. Randy Neugebauer, Texas (19) 92
Rep. Lynn Westmoreland, Ga. (3) 92
Rep. Scott Garrett, N.J. (5) 91
Rep. Chris Chocola, Ind. (2)* 90

*Defeated for re-election in 2006
Incidentally, the National Journal recently released their 2006 congressional ratings. I put all the data in STATA and I've been playing around with it these past couple of weeks. Anyone interested if I write up a little summary (with graphs of course) of their evaluations?

Also, here's a link the the Club For Growth website:

http://www.clubforgrowth.org/

and this takes you to their 2006 Congressional Scorecard page:

http://www.clubforgrowth.org/2007/03...sional_s_1.php
Old 03-15-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the head of that Club for Growth was Sy Sperling?

Old 03-15-07, 01:44 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Special interest ratings have long fascinated me. Here's an article about those comiled by the Club For Growth.

Incidentally, the National Journal recently released their 2006 congressional ratings. I put all the data in STATA and I've been playing around with it these past couple of weeks. Anyone interested if I write up a little summary (with graphs of course) of their evaluations?
Feel free, I'm not claiming I'll understand any of it, but any graph from you wenders, well, you know....

Old 03-15-07, 04:15 PM
Political Exile

At the link it says Ron Paul scored 83%.
Old 03-15-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I eagerly await your Tuftian results.
Old 03-15-07, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I eagerly await your Tuftian results.
Old 03-19-07, 04:28 PM

OK, here are some preliminary graphs for the US Senate from the 2006 National Journal ratings.

Old 03-19-07, 04:55 PM
Admin-MemeCat

We'll have to archive this thread for reference purposes.
Old 03-19-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can't digest these easily. Can we have it in USA Today "statshot" form? Perhaps having degree of liberalness be an ice cream cone or an apple?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-07, 06:35 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I disagree with those graphs. The libs are on the right and the conservatives are on the left.
Old 03-19-07, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
I disagree with those graphs. The libs are on the right and the conservatives are on the left.
Good point. I'll change it tomorrow. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-19-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Bus's suggestion of a nifty graphic to represent how liberal someone is, but an ice cream cone or an apple pie are too American, and therefore too conservative. Perhaps you should use an aborted fetus or a burning American flag instead (for the economic scale, use a hammer and sickle; for the foreign policy scale, use a picture of someone surrendering to an Islamofascoterrorist).
Old 03-19-07, 07:05 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Ted Kennedy and Barbara Boxer should be on the other side of the 100% line.
Old 03-19-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Serious suggestion -- perhaps put the names of Republicans in red and Democrats in blue (so as to better facilitate our ability to deride people as RINOs and DINOs). Also, consider adding vertical lines every 20 percentage points -- toward the top of the chart, it's hard to tell whether someone is 10 percent liberal or 20 percent liberal.
Old 03-19-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk God

I laugh at the concept of John Kyl being a defender of economic freedom. He feels it necessary to butt his head into the economics of my freedom to make bets online. Asshole.
Old 03-19-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by grundle
At the link it says Ron Paul scored 83%.

I'd love to know what this idiotic group's methodology is.
Old 03-19-07, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'd love to know what this idiotic group's methodology is.
They pick a bunch of votes (ten, I think) and weigh them according to importance. I'm referring to the Club For Growth, not the National Journal, BTW.