Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Pentagon Transcripts Show Khalid Sheikh Mohammed Confesses to Sept. 11 Attacks

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-14-07, 10:48 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258817,00.html

WASHINGTON Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the suspected mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks, confessed to that attack and a string of others during a military hearing at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, according to a transcript released by the Pentagon.

"I was responsible for the 9/11 operation from A to Z," Mohammed said in a statement read during the session, which was held last Saturday.

The transcripts released Wednesday by the Pentagon also refer to a claim by Mohammed that he was tortured by the CIA, although he said he was not under duress when he confessed to his role in the attacks.

In a chilling list of attacks some of which were carried out, some not Mohammed claimed responsibility for planning, financing and training others for plots ranging from the 1993 truck bombing of the World Trade Center to the attempt by would-be shoe bomber Richard Reid to blow up a trans-Atlantic flight with explosives hidden in his shoes.

He said he was involved in planning the 2002 bombing of a Kenya beach resort frequented by Israelis and the failed missile attack on an Israeli passenger jet after it took off from Mombasa, Kenya. He also said he was responsible for the bombing of a nightclub in Bali, Indonesia. In 2002, 202 were killed when two Bali nightclubs were bombed.

He also said he was involved in planning assassination attempts against former Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton, attacks on U.S. nuclear power plants and suspension bridges in New York, the destruction of American and Israeli embassies in Asia and Australia, attacks on American naval vessels and oil tankers around the world, and an attempt to destroy an oil company he said was owned by former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger on Sumatra, Indonesia.

In all, Mohammed, who is believed to have been the No. 3 Al Qaeda leader, said he was responsible for planning 28 individual attacks. The comments were included in a 26-page transcript released by the Pentagon, which blacked out some of his remarks.

Mohammed also claimed he was tortured by the CIA after his capture in 2003 in Pakistan, according to an exchange he had with the military colonel who heads the three-member panel that heard his case.

"Is any statement that you made, was it because of this treatment, to use your word, you claim torture," the colonel asked. "Do you make any statements because of that?"

Portions of Mohammed's response were deleted from the transcript, and his immediate answer was unclear. He later said his confession read at the hearing to the long list of attacks was given without any pressure, threats or duress.

The colonel said that Mohammed's torture allegations would be "reported for any investigation that may be appropriate" and also would be taken into account in consideration of his enemy combatant status.

The Pentagon also released transcripts of the hearings of Abu Faraj al-Libi and Ramzi Binalshibh, though Binalshibh refused to attend his session.

Binalshibh, a Yemeni, is suspected of helping Mohammed with the Sept. 11, 2001, attack plan and is also linked to a foiled plot to crash aircraft into London's Heathrow Airport. Al-Libi is a Libyan who reportedly masterminded two bombings 11 days apart in Pakistan in December 2003 that targeted President Pervez Musharraf for his support of the U.S.-led war on terror.

The hearings, which began last Friday, are being conducted in secret by the military as it tries to determine whether 14 alleged terrorist leaders should be declared "enemy combatants" who can be held indefinitely and prosecuted by military tribunals.

Hearings for six of the 14 have already been held. The military is not allowing reporters to attend the sessions and is limiting the information it provides about them, arguing that it wants to prevent sensitive information from being disclosed.

The 14 were moved in September from a secret CIA prison network to the prison at the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay, where about 385 men are being held on suspicion of links to al-Qaida or the Taliban.

Mohammed's confession was read by a member of the U.S. military who is serving as his personal representative. It also claimed he shared responsibility for three other attacks, including assassination attempts against Pope John Paul II and Musharraf.

The transcripts also lay out evidence against Mohammed, saying that a computer seized during his capture included detailed information about the Sept. 11 plot ranging from names and photos of the hijackers to photos of hijacker Mohammad Atta's pilot's license and even letters from Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Al-Libi also made a statement through his personal representative largely claiming that the hearing process is unfair and that he will not attend unless it is corrected.

"The detainee is in a lose-lose situation," his statement said.

Binalshibh declined to participate in the process and the hearing was conducted in his absence. Military officials expected some of the 14 suspects not to participate.

Legal experts have criticized the U.S. decision to bar independent observers from the hearings from the high-value targets. The Associated Press filed a letter of protest, arguing that it would be "an unconstitutional mistake to close the proceedings in their entirety."

Mark Denbeaux, a Seton Hall University law professor who represents two Tunisians held at Guantanamo, said that based on the transcripts, Mohammed might be the only detainee who would qualify as an enemy combatant.

"The government has finally brought someone into Gitmo who apparently admits to being someone who could be called an enemy combatant," Denbeaux, a critic of most of the detentions, said in a telephone interview from London. "None of the others rise to this level. The government has now got one."

The military held 558 combatant status review tribunals between July 2004 and March 2005 and the panels concluded that all but 38 detainees were enemy combatants who should be held. Those 38 were eventually released from Guantanamo.
Looks like those women panties over the head worked.

Next step: Torture him, beat him half-to-death, rip his ears off, tear his legs off, poke his eyes out, pour acid all over him, stab him, pull his arms off, mutilate his genitals...THEN execute him! IN PUBLIC! So we can cheer his demise , burn his body, hang it on a bridge, drag it around New York from the back bumper of Arnold's Humvee.
Old 03-14-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good news! It turns out, Osama bin Laden was just misunderstood! We've got the real guy. Call of the hunt, boys! It's time to head home (or to Iraq -- whichever is closer).
Old 03-14-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they publish all the torture pictures so you can masturbate over them.
Old 03-15-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess OBL really was innocent. He was just at the wrong cave at the wrong time.

bhk,

If you were tortured, you think you could, after days of torture, still deny you had anything to do with 9/11? It's amazing how many people on this forum know absolutely nothing about torture and how problematic it can be.

This article simply proves a point. You'll confess to anything put in front of you.

Hey, why don't we have him confess to the JFK killing too.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-15-07 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-15-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
Good news! It turns out, Osama bin Laden was just misunderstood! We've got the real guy. Call of the hunt, boys! It's time to head home (or to Iraq -- whichever is closer).
Don't you get it? If we focus all of our efforts on Bin Laden, this whole terrorism thing is over, right? *High Five*
Old 03-15-07, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If its a Pentagon transcript that means it really comes from the Bush administration, so this is all a lie.

Our own government attacked us on 9/11...or the Swedish...maybe aliens I forgot what the truth was. Guess I have to watch Loose Change again
Old 03-15-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhk
Looks like those women panties over the head worked.
Well, sure, they worked. See, he hung tough during the beatings, the electric shock, the sleep deprivation, the water boardings... but the panties on his head was the one thing that really pushed him over the edge. Good work, USA!

Now that we have discovered this ultimate weapon against the Islamofascist hordes, the following will now be issued as standard operating equipment to all US military personnel:

(Except for the Navy, who I believe already lists this as standard issue.)
Old 03-15-07, 09:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
If you were tortured, you think you could, after days of torture, still deny you had anything to do with 9/11? It's amazing how many people on this forum know absolutely nothing about torture and how problematic it can be.

No, only guilty people are tortured and only guilty people will confess to crimes. I know If i was tortured for weeks on end I would maintain my innocence rather that confess for a quick easy way out from the pain.

It's sad that people think that torture works and only the guilty confess. I know after a day of torture I'd be admiting anything they said I did. Killed off the dinosaurs, yep that was me, black plague, yep me too.

Second do you happen to have a link to the actual report, rather that a report about the report on fox news?

I guess it's ok that Bin Laden is free and planning the next attacks, since he didn't have anythign to do with 9/11. Atleast that what some people will claim, giving Bush yet another excuse for not catching him.
Old 03-15-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk God

I heard two terrorism 'experts' today who said that you have to take what this guy says with a large grain of salt. He envisions himself as a 'rock star.'

He apparently has changed his story concerning the beheading of Richard Pearl more than once.

Also some of his 'planning attempts' can't be verified.
Old 03-15-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NCMojo
(Except for the Navy, who I believe already lists this as standard issue.)
Homophobe
Old 03-15-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cinten
Second do you happen to have a link to the actual report, rather that a report about the report on fox news?

What report?
Old 03-15-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
If its a Pentagon transcript that means it really comes from the Bush administration, so this is all a lie.

Our own government attacked us on 9/11...or the Swedish...maybe aliens I forgot what the truth was. Guess I have to watch Loose Change again
And I'm sure everything coming from the Bush Administration is true and righteous, and we are all safer with them. They can do no wrong.

God Bless.
Old 03-15-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nazgul
Don't you get it? If we focus all of our efforts on Bin Laden, this whole terrorism thing is over, right? *High Five*
It has nothing to do with ending terrorism. It has everything to do with avenging the deaths of 3000 Americans. Don't you get it?
Old 03-15-07, 10:26 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
I hope they publish all the torture pictures so you can masturbate over them.
Now that's not a nice thing to say to JasonF. Besides, I don't think he's a member of the press(the ones masturbating over the Abu Ghraib pics) anyways.

If you click the link, it has links to the transcript.

I agree with cman2 that a lot of what he says should be taken with a grain of salt.
The people whining about torture etc... must have missed the part where they found pictures and data on Kentucky Sizzlin Mohammed's computer.

Last edited by bhk; 03-15-07 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-15-07, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

What report?

Sorry, that was not meant for you, it was meant about the orignial article from BHK.
Old 03-15-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
It has nothing to do with ending terrorism. It has everything to do with avenging the deaths of 3000 Americans. Don't you get it?
Then we can quit?
Old 03-15-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The sad thing is that, by all accounts, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is a bad, bad man who almost certainly did all the things he "confessed" to. But because the Bush Administration decided that the Geneva Convention was just a "quaint" and easily-discarded document, we've completely lost our legitimacy and any hope of claiming the moral high ground. If Mohammed ever was subject to a fair trial, based on either American criminal or international law, this "confession" would be ruled inadmissable, and we'd lose a good chunk of our case.

That -- among other reasons -- is why we don't torture people.
Old 03-15-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny that this review came up with this thread. Coincidence??
Old 03-15-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Strange how so many people here are actually ANGRY that we caught the guy responsible for 9/11 and many terror attacks! They're actually mad!

You wonder why us sane folk think that some people want us to lose the War On Terror? You wonder why we think those on the far left are traitors? This thread is proof!
Old 03-15-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114
Yes. It has to do with both. And that's a good thing.

Nice to see you coming to your senses.
Old 03-15-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Strange how so many people here are actually ANGRY that we caught the guy responsible for 9/11 and many terror attacks! They're actually mad!

You wonder why us sane folk think that some people want us to lose the War On Terror? You wonder why we think those on the far left are traitors? This thread is proof!
What poster said they were angry?
Old 03-15-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
What poster said they were angry?
Oh come on, you don't see the angry, sarcastic comments on here?
Old 03-15-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

You said 'they' were angry about him being caught.

Tell me which post indicates that a member is angry that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was caught.
Old 03-15-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I confess that my post had a trace of anger in it. Just a small bit though.
Old 03-15-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth

I appreciate the irony of you saying "us sane folks".

As has been stated... we're happy that we caught Mohammed. This is a bad guy, who almost certainly responsible for planning the attacks on 9/11 along with many more atrocities. Glad to see him out of commission.

But we're pissed as hell that your Administration sanctioned the use of torture, especially in this case, which illegitimizes everything that we do, and that shames everything that we stand for. Opposing the Bush regime does not make you a traitor. Supporting the people who have dragged the American name in the mud, and who have perverted the attacks of 9/11 and the "war on terrorism" in order to justify their own personal and political ends... supporting the continued use of torture, rendition, illegal detention and the abandonment of human rights and civility in the name of "freedom and liberty"... supporting the people who have ignored Homeland Security and the health and welfare of our troops while throwing hundreds of billions of dollars at their corporate cronies, while simultaneously sticking a "Support Our Troops" magnet on the back of their SUVs... those people are the real traitors. Not the liberal left -- but the radical right, the neocons, the GOP party hacks and their proponents.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.