Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Senecas protesting again. tax related

Old 03-14-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Senecas protesting again. tax related

and they called Shitzer hitler, although it makes no sense. I hate shitzer, but he's not committing genocide

I think the hitler thing is funny, because they have this big indian statue on the side of the 90 that's doing a perfect heil hitler pose
it can kind of be seen on the left of this page www.bigindian.com/

this could get ugly, they can close down I90 and I86 like they did last time the state tried to force them to collect taxes on non-Senecas

buffalonews.com/258/story/32272.html
The Seneca Nation of Indians and the state’s aggressive new governor are on a collision course, and the issue is state taxation of cigarette sales.

The Senecas’ growing anger with Gov. Eliot L. Spitzer was evident Tuesday in the harsh words and jarring images at a rally to protest the governor’s plans to collect taxes on cigarette sales to non-Indians.

One speaker at the downtown Buffalo rally accused Spitzer of acting like “an agent of Satan.”

Another — a 15-year-old Seneca boy — carried a sign comparing the Jewish governor to Adolf Hitler and accusing him of “genocide.” Surrounded by adults, the teen held the sign above his head near the speakers’ podium through much of the rally, which lasted about an hour and 20 minutes.
Old 03-14-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

them don't look like injuns
Old 03-14-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Freeloaders.
Old 03-14-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

His name is Shitzer, and they feel the need to give him a derogatory name?
Old 03-15-07, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
His name is Shitzer, and they feel the need to give him a derogatory name?
No, his name is "Spitzer." By calling him "Shitzer," mikehunt was just displaying the same cleverness he used when coming up with his user name.
Old 03-15-07, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
yeah, because you've never referred to bush as a smirking chimp

anyway, this is something that's been brewing for a while. Pataki claimed he was going to enforce it but whimped out and left it for spitzer

I don't really see how the state can force the senecas to collect NY taxes, that'd be like NY asking France to collect NY tax on NY residents that visit Paris
but at the same time, the tax free thing was designed for senecas selling to other senecas

I've tried to find pictures from when they blocked the 90 with burning tires but I'm coming up empty
Old 03-15-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mikehunt
yeah, because you've never referred to bush as a smirking chimp
Why did you assume I was being sarcastic when I said your nickname for Governor Spitzer was clever?

In any event, I try to refer to politicians by their correct names and titles. I don't always remember to use their titles, but I do use their correct names. Years ago, I think I used the nickname "Shrub" (which I don't see as derrogatory, since he's the younger President Bush -- i.e. baby Bush), but I haven't used that nickname in a while and I've never -- as far as I can remember -- referred to Bush as a smirking chimp.
Old 03-15-07, 10:27 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Give them some firewater and send them on their way.

Old 03-15-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
Why did you assume I was being sarcastic when I said your nickname for Governor Spitzer was clever?

In any event, I try to refer to politicians by their correct names and titles. I don't always remember to use their titles, but I do use their correct names. Years ago, I think I used the nickname "Shrub" (which I don't see as derrogatory, since he's the younger President Bush -- i.e. baby Bush), but I haven't used that nickname in a while and I've never -- as far as I can remember -- referred to Bush as a smirking chimp.
I've gotta apologize for sounding harsh, I should have put a smilie in there. I let yesterday's stress from work roll into this morning
although I did find an old chimp remark (2-3 years old) before I had posted that, jsut to cover myself. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=29

I found a page on the Seneca Nation's website

http://www.sni.org/indiantreaties.html
Honor Indian Treaties

The U.S. Constitution calls treaties "the Supreme Law of the Land." And yet New York State is about to violate U.S. treaties that have lasted over 200 years. The state plans to implement regulations that would impose sales tax on petroleum and tobacco products sold on Indian lands. These regulations would violate sacred treaties between the U.S. and Indian tribes.

Since 1794 the U.S. has acknowledged Indian independence, and the Treaty of 1842 clearly says the Seneca Nation will not be taxed by any US government. Including New York State. The state's unconstitutional action will cause over 1000 Indians and non-Indians to lose their jobs, consumer prices to rise, and businesses to close.

We urge you to explore this topic and learn more about this issue. Tell Governor Spitzer how you feel. Urge the Governor to honor the supreme law of the land. Because if you break a treaty, you break the law

* Contact Governor Eliot Spitzer
* For more information, please visit Honorindianstreaties.org

and I found some pics from previous encounters with the police, although I'm not sure if any are from the time they put burning tires across I90

Old 03-15-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk God

So....they have found that raising taxes on tobacco products hasn't resulted in a windfall of revenue, but that people will go elsewhere to buy tobacco. So if they do succeed in taxing the Senecas, people will go somewhere else, and the Senecas will be SOL as well, and the revenue still won't increase because people will find another way.

Sounds a bit like government thinking to me.
Old 03-15-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I've gotta apologize for sounding harsh, I should have put a smilie in there. I let yesterday's stress from work roll into this morning
although I did find an old chimp remark (2-3 years old) before I had posted that, jsut to cover myself. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=29
That doesn't count! I also called him a very wise man in that post.

No worries on sounding harsh. I was too harsh in my initial post in this thread. Hope today was less stressful.
Old 03-16-07, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

bush a wise man
yeah right