Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Ohio & Wisconsin lawmakers want "Predator Plates"

Old 03-13-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ohio & Wisconsin lawmakers want "Predator Plates"

Ohio Lawmakers Want Sex Predator Plates

Mar 1 11:43 AM US/Eastern

The cars of sexual predators would be marked by fluorescent green license plates under a unique proposal before Ohio lawmakers.
A bill introduced Wednesday by two legislators, Democratic Rep. Michael DeBose and Republican Sen. Kevin Coughlin, would require all habitual and child-oriented sex offenders to display the easy-to-spot plates.

It is something no other state has tried, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, though some require a designation to appear on sex offenders' driver's licenses. An earlier Ohio proposal to require pink plates for sex offenders was unsuccessful.

Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland, who took office in January, would sign the bill, press secretary Keith Dailey said.

Christine Link, executive director American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio, criticized the proposed requirement as political grandstanding. She said it could leave children with the idea that anyone without one of the special plates was safe to approach.

But Coughlin said the plates would send parents and children an instant message to beware. Ohio already requires repeat drunken drivers to display bright yellow license tags.

The bill is the latest in a series of new laws Ohio has passed to crack down on sex crimes against children.

Among them: tougher mandatory minimum sentences for rapists whose victims are under age 13; increased penalties for public indecency involving victims under 13; and mandatory tracking devices after those classified as sexually violent predators serve their prison sentences.

Interesting. I don't particularly have a problem with this, but the argument about kids thinking people in cars without these plates were safe is somewhat compelling.

An interview with one of the lawmakers revealed that there would be a strict penalty for sex offenders caught driving a borrowed car.

The end result for the offender would be constant harassment wherever they went...vandalized cars...and probably, a higher suicide rate among sex offenders who received harassment after seeing how they are treated after being branded by the plate.

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 03-13-07 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-13-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

I can't even begin to describe how asinine this is.
Old 03-13-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think our whole Hester Prynne approach to sex offenders creates more problem than it solves. In the first place, we're using a single approach for everyone from the 17-year-old who got busted with his 15-year-old girlfriend to the serial pedophile. In the second place, we're releasing people from prison and then doing everything we can to prevent them from reintegrating into society -- what's the point? We might as well keep them in jail. In the third place, as the article points out, we create a false sense of security -- people don't think about the fact that every single registered sex offender was not a registered sex offender until after they got caught.

In my opinion, we need better treatment and post-release monitoring for those who can be treated, and we need long-term custody (be it prison or a mental health facility) for those who cannot. But simply turning people loose and telling people "Hey, your new neighbor is a sex offender. Have fun!" doesn't really solve anything.
Old 03-13-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice Hawthorne reference.
Old 03-13-07, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
I think our whole Hester Prynne approach to sex offenders creates more problem than it solves. In the first place, we're using a single approach for everyone from the 17-year-old who got busted with his 15-year-old girlfriend to the serial pedophile.
I see this example trotted out all the time, but has it ever happened in real life? Most sex offender laws I've seen, including the one in the OP, single out only the most egregious offenses.
Old 03-13-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

In my opinion, we need better treatment and post-release monitoring for those who can be treated, and we need long-term custody (be it prison or a mental health facility) for those who cannot. But simply turning people loose and telling people "Hey, your new neighbor is a sex offender. Have fun!" doesn't really solve anything.
Better treatment in considered cruel and unusual and the ACLU has fought it.

The only think that has shown any real results is castration. Chemical castration is also effective, but people don't tend to stay on it.
Old 03-13-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I see this example trotted out all the time, but has it ever happened in real life? Most sex offender laws I've seen, including the one in the OP, single out only the most egregious offenses.
Google Genarlow Wilson (10 year prison sentence + lifetime sex offender registry for getting a blowjob from a 15-year old girl when he was 17)
Old 03-13-07, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
Google Genarlow Wilson (10 year prison sentence + lifetime sex offender registry for getting a blowjob from a 15-year old girl when he was 17)
I looked it up. I lose!

I guess my mistake was underestimating the zeal of lawmakers when it comes to sexual indiscretions. Sheesh.
Old 03-13-07, 02:36 PM

I think our whole Hester Prynne approach to sex offenders creates more problem than it solves. In the first place, we're using a single approach for everyone from the 17-year-old who got busted with his 15-year-old girlfriend to the serial pedophile. In the second place, we're releasing people from prison and then doing everything we can to prevent them from reintegrating into society -- what's the point? We might as well keep them in jail. In the third place, as the article points out, we create a false sense of security -- people don't think about the fact that every single registered sex offender was not a registered sex offender until after they got caught.

I agree. What the freaking point to have served your time and be released if the public can easily ID you by your plate? Is the State gonna cover the cost of repairing the busted windows, slashed tires, etc on these cars? If the law says you are free to go, I agree with keeping in touch and where they live, but to this is stupid.
Old 03-13-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This isnt any worse than the special plates we already have for drunk drivers.
Old 03-13-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Huh? There's a huge difference between the crimes themselves as well as how most people view them. I doubt a drunk driver liscence plate evokes the same response as a sexual predator one.
Old 03-13-07, 02:51 PM

License plates go on automobiles.

Drunk drivers committed their offenses while operating automobiles.

See the relationship?
Old 03-13-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

But I would bet that drunk drivers don't get beat up as often or severely.
Old 03-13-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
License plates go on automobiles.

Drunk drivers committed their offenses while operating automobiles.

See the relationship?
I love it when you get catty. I think I'm going to start calling you "General Pace".
Old 03-13-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's worse. The pertentage of eager-to-kill-you-for-existing folks will be much higher on the "pedophile plates." Good luck in any parking lot, or just getting groceries. As Jason has said, you're virtually guaranteeing harassment and an inability to reintegrate.
Old 03-13-07, 02:58 PM

And another thing - since when is, "it isn't any worse than laws we already have" adequate justification for new legislation? Until less than a decade ago there were still anti-miscegenation laws on the books in the US. What if someone used as justification for some stupid new law "it's no worse than the anti-mixed marriage laws we already have"?
Old 03-13-07, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat

The end result for the offender would be constant harassment wherever they went...vandalized cars...and probably, a higher suicide rate among sex offenders who received harassment after seeing how they are treated after being branded by the plate.
Sounds good to me.

In all seriousness though, the plates should be on a case by case basis. Teens caughts screwing around should be exempt, but the serial offender should be forced into registering for these new plates. I guess I may be in the minority here, but I don't believe a true pedophile can be rehabbed. These people are predisposed to like kids from day one. It's parallel to the argument that some religious groups believe that they can turn a gay person straight through rehabilitation. This is just how people are wired. For example -it would be quite a feat for someone to be able to turn a 30 year old straight man gay and convince him that for his entire 30 years on Earth, he was wrong in being attracted to women and that being gay was the only true sexual orientation. In that sense I believe in the strictest of punishments for pedophiles. Who cares if they're harassed? You diddle a child, you pay the price. My heart doesn't bleed for these people. Embarassment and humiliation is a small price to pay for taking a child's innocence.

Sidenote: A good film for reference on this particular topic (since we're on a DVD forum) would be "The Woodsman".
Old 03-13-07, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I love it when you get catty. I think I'm going to start calling you "General Pace".

Hey, wait a minute...

Old 03-13-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
Ohio Lawmakers Want Sex Predator Plates

Mar 1 11:43 AM US/Eastern

The cars of sexual predators would be marked by fluorescent green license plates under a unique proposal before Ohio lawmakers.
Weird - in October, Ohio wanted pink plates.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=481939
Old 03-13-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adamblast
It's worse. The pertentage of eager-to-kill-you-for-existing folks will be much higher on the "pedophile plates." Good luck in any parking lot, or just getting groceries. As Jason has said, you're virtually guaranteeing harassment and an inability to reintegrate.
On the good side, their friends won't be asking to borrow the car much.
Old 03-13-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the special plates for SOs and DUIs are both wrong.

As someone already pointed out if you have gone through the court system and have been punished you should have to have these “scarlet” letters dogging you forever.

Besides these things are so subjective, why not have every criminal go around with special identifiers? How about special plates for someone who has had five speeding tickets? God knows plenty of people are killed by speeding drivers so why not have the habitual speeders identified? How about having the person who is convicted of stealing register with a database and then have to tell all of their neighbors that they were convicted of stealing?

The list can go on and on if we want it to.
Old 03-13-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpoppe
Sounds good to me.

In all seriousness though, the plates should be on a case by case basis. Teens caughts screwing around should be exempt, but the serial offender should be forced into registering for these new plates. I guess I may be in the minority here, but I don't believe a true pedophile can be rehabbed. These people are predisposed to like kids from day one. It's parallel to the argument that some religious groups believe that they can turn a gay person straight through rehabilitation. This is just how people are wired. For example -it would be quite a feat for someone to be able to turn a 30 year old straight man gay and convince him that for his entire 30 years on Earth, he was wrong in being attracted to women and that being gay was the only true sexual orientation. In that sense I believe in the strictest of punishments for pedophiles. Who cares if they're harassed? You diddle a child, you pay the price. My heart doesn't bleed for these people. Embarassment and humiliation is a small price to pay for taking a child's innocence.

Sidenote: A good film for reference on this particular topic (since we're on a DVD forum) would be "The Woodsman".
If they're that dangerous, then why not make sentences longer?

Explain to me how this will keep anyone safer.
Old 03-13-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Explain to me how this will keep anyone safer.
There are efforts in many states to make the sentences longer, but they face opposition from many groups, including district attorneys. They cite that having harsher sentences (particularly 25 to life sentencing) will make plea bargains more difficult, forcing them to take even weak cases to trial and in these cases, having the young victims testify when they wouldn't have to in previous cases. It is also believed that this will make family members less likely to turn someone in with harsher sentences.
Old 03-13-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree however that when things like this come up, they need to make classifications on the types of offenses. Recent studies have shown that offenders who have molested young boys reoffend at the rate of 52%, those who rape women reoffend 39%, and other types of offenders reoffend hardly at all.
Old 03-13-07, 03:45 PM

Only in a perfect world. Afterall, this is the American Justice System we're talking about here.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.