Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Welcome news for conservatives: Fred Thompson mulls WH bid [Update: DEAD]

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-11-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

TV Star, Former Senator Fred Thompson Considers '08 Presidential Bid
Sunday, March 11, 2007

WASHINGTON — "Law and Order" star and former Tennessee Republican Sen. Fred Thompson is weighing a bid for the White House in 2008, he told Chris Wallace on "FOX News Sunday."

"I'm going to wait and see what happens," Thompson said. "I want to see my colleagues on the campaign trial, what they say, what they emphasize, whether they can carry the ball next November."

Thompson, 64, who plays district attorney Arthur Branch on NBC's drama, said he was pondering a run after former Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker and other Tennessee Republicans began drumming up support for his possible Republican candidacy, citing his conservative credentials.

"I think people are somewhat disillusioned. A lot of people are cynical out there. They're looking for something different," he said.

On the issues, Thompson said he:

—Is "pro-life," and believes federal judges should reexamine the Supreme Court's landmark Roe v. Wade decision of 1973 which established a woman's right to an abortion.

—Opposes gay marriage, but would let states decide whether to allow civil unions. "Marriage is between a man and a woman, and judges shouldn't be allowed to change that."

—Supports President George W. Bush's decision to increase troops in Iraq. "Wars are full of mistakes. You rectify them. I think we are doing that now," he said. "We've got to give it a chance to work."

—Would pardon former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice now, rather than waiting until all his appeals are exhausted. Libby was found guilty of perjury and obstruction in the investigation into the 2003 leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity.

Libby is "bearing the political brunt of something that should've never come about," Thompson said, noting that "practically every witness at trial had inconsistent statements."

Thompson said he was not setting a deadline to make a decision and believes he will not be at a disadvantage if he waited until summer. "The lay of the land will be different in a couple of months than it is today, one way or another," he said in an interview on "Fox News Sunday."

Thompson, the minority counsel in the Watergate investigation, was elected to the Senate in 1994 to fill the unexpired term of Vice President Al Gore. He was chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee and left the Senate in 2003 to resume his acting career.

Thompson has acted in films such as "The Hunt for Red October," "Cape Fear," and "In the Line of Fire."

If he decided to run, Thompson would join a crowded Republican field led by former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Sen. John McCain of Arizona. The number could grow on Monday when Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel makes an announcement on his future plans.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

The report failed to mention that he opposes gun control.

While I'm not confident he is the answer, Fred Thompson would be a great candidate compared to the three or so the GOP has stumping right now.
Old 03-11-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk God

How much different is he than John McCain? Seems that McCain supports all the things above and Thompson supported McCain's view on campaign finance and Medicare.

The one thing he really has going for him is his folksy accent, which always makes chuckle in thinking of him as a make-believe Manhatten District Attorney.
Old 03-11-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tens of millions of Americans know him as that TV cop show guy. Will they be able to see his legitimate credentials, or will they think that he's just a Hollywood actor who thinks running for the presidency is just another audition?
Old 03-11-07, 04:07 PM

How many times has McCain ran now? How many has Thompson?

He's fresh, at least compared to McCain. McCain running for president is so old hat.

And I never liked McCain.

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 03-11-07 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-11-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

McCain has ran once before. That makes him an old hat? Was Nixon an old hat when he ran in '68. Reagan in '80? Bush I in '88?

He's old though.
Old 03-11-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
Tens of millions of Americans know him as that TV cop show guy. Will they be able to see his legitimate credentials, or will they think that he's just a Hollywood actor who thinks running for the presidency is just another audition?

He'll always be the guy who said "a Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan" in Hunt For Red October. One my favorite all-time movie lines.
Old 03-11-07, 04:45 PM

Chances of Thompson getting the nom: pretty much nil.
Old 03-11-07, 04:55 PM

Isn't it the republicans always railing against actors sticking their noses into politics?

It think I'd vote for Jack Thompson first.
Now if Fred Willard ran from president...
Old 03-11-07, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
McCain has ran once before. That makes him an old hat? Was Nixon an old hat when he ran in '68. Reagan in '80? Bush I in '88?

He's old though.
I think you are right. Seems like he ran twice. Whatever, seemed like it.
Old 03-11-07, 05:26 PM
Admin-Thanos

He'll always be the guy who said "a Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan" in Hunt For Red October. One my favorite all-time movie lines.

If he can serve his country as well as he did as a make believe carrier Capt., we'll be in good shape.
Old 03-11-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First thing I thought of.
Old 03-11-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First thing I thought of was his role as COS in "In the Line of Fire"

Trying to move up in the world Harry?

Last edited by crazyronin; 03-11-07 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-11-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Isn't it the republicans always railing against actors sticking their noses into politics?
This case is more like politicians sticking their noses into acting. He was in politics, then in acting, then back in politics, then back in acting...

Clearly, a flip-flopper.
Old 03-12-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk God

He's old though.
I was going to say that as well, but then I was blown away that he was only 64. I don't think that is a disadvantage. If he were 70, I would agree, though.
Old 03-12-07, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds good to me. Please not McCain.
Old 03-12-07, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 03-12-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk God

A more viable candidate for the Republican nomination will announce today - Chuck Hagel.
Old 03-12-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Now if Fred Willard ran from president...
That's what I thought too at first.
Old 03-12-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I *shamefully* think of him from an episode of Roseanne he was in. In my defense, I watched that damned show growing up with my Mom.
Old 03-12-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A member of the "Hollywood Elite" seeking the GOP nomination. Priceless.
Old 03-12-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Sounds good to me. Please not McCain.
he's liberal
Old 03-12-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He's old though.
yup, McCain being 70 years old with a history of skin cancer makes him an old hat. Plus, he was in the House of Reps. when Goldwater was in the Senate. He's been around forever. Thompson seems like fresh face since he could in theory run as an outside candidate since he has been out of office. Conservatives may also like the fact that he steered John Roberts’ nomination through the Senate.
Old 03-12-07, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
he's liberal
McCain's liberal?
Old 03-12-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Thompson is liberal?

I don't which one he's talking about.

Neither are liberal, IMO. John McCain is merely crazy.
Old 03-12-07, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by chowderhead
yup, McCain being 70 years old
Wow. Didn't even realize that! I thought he was early to mid-60s. What a fossil.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.