Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Dems cancel debate over Fox chief's Obama joke

Old 03-11-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dems cancel debate over Fox chief's Obama joke

• During speech, Roger Ailes deliberately confuses Obama, bin Laden
• Democrats say network is biased against them
• Debate was to have been held in August in Nevada
• Fox News vice president says MoveOn.org owns Democratic Party

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (CNN) -- A Nevada Democratic presidential debate that was to have been co-hosted by Fox News Network was canceled by organizers, in part because of a joke by Fox Chairman and CEO Roger Ailes about presidential contender Sen. Barack Obama.

Democrats canceled the debate Friday. They said a comment by Ailes during a Thursday night speech to a group of radio and television news directors indicated the network was biased against their party.

"It's true that Barack Obama is on the move," Ailes said, deliberately confusing the Illinois senator's name with that of terrorist leader Osama bin Laden. "I don't know if it's true President Bush called [Pakistan President Pervez] Musharraf and said, 'Why can't we catch this guy?' "

Even before Ailes' remarks, there was intense pressure from the liberal group MoveOn.org to cancel the August event as part of its boycott of Fox.

Ailes has served as a campaign adviser to Republican candidates, including former Presidents Reagan and Bush.

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards dropped out of the debate Thursday, citing, in part, Fox's participation.

Fox News Vice President David Rhodes responded to the debate cancellation with a written statement saying MoveOn.org owns the Democratic Party.
Old 03-11-07, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah Im sure it was the joke

Im sure moveon.org had nothing to do with it
Old 03-11-07, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously Edwards got an advanced copy of Ailes' horribly offensive speech.
Old 03-11-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably, someone said, "A Democratic debate on Fox? Are you completely nuts. All their viewers are religious conservatives who would NEVER vote for a Democrat."

Then someone said, "Aw shit, how do we get out of this idiotic plan?" Then, the joke came along.
Old 03-11-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was kinda funny.
Old 03-11-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll wait for their condemnation of Senator Ted Kennedy too.

When the phone don't ring, I'll know its them.
Old 03-11-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They were looking for an out and sounds like Ailes gave them one.
Old 03-12-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk God

He "deliberately confused" Obama? Either he deliberately made a comparison or deliberately called him something, OR he confused him. You can't deliberately confuse anything.
Old 03-12-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

He's the head writer for the Half Hour News Hour, right?
Old 03-12-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess the republicans didn't learn their lesson from 2006, when the childish smears like this backfired on them. All of those negative campaign ads and they still lost both houses of congress.

The democrats and liberal interest groups should just shut up and let them make assholes out themselves for the next two years.
Old 03-12-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I guess the republicans didn't learn their lesson from 2006, when the childish smears like this backfired on them. All of those negative campaign ads and they still lost both houses of congress.

The democrats and liberal interest groups should just shut up and let them make assholes out themselves for the next two years.
Yes, it seems only the Republicans use childish smears and negative campaign ads.
Old 03-12-07, 12:21 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20...ation/45174222

Kucinich Slams Fox Debate Cancellation
Under pressure from liberal bloggers, the Nevada Democratic Party has scrubbed a presidential candidates debate that was set for this coming August.

The bloggers were outraged that the Nevada Dems were partnering with the Fox News Channel who had been given the rights to broadcast the debate.

Count me among those who think the debate cancellation is a ridiculous ending to what was a ridiculous and counter-productive cause. Excuse me, but I thought liberals hated Fox precisely because it was NOT fair and balanced, because of the dearth of voices other than those from the Right.

So here was a chance to force-feed the conservative Fox audience a prime-time dose of Democratic campaigning; but now that's all been called off by --- Democrats!

You can read a more detailed accounting of my reasoning here.

Dennis Kucinich, now denied one of his few shots at a national audience, was the only Democratic candidate who spoke out against the cancellation.

"If you want to be the President of the United States, you can't be afraid to deal with people with whom you disagree politically," Kucinich said. "No one is further removed from Fox's political philosophy than I am, but fear should not dictate decisions that affect hundreds of millions of Americans and billions of others around the world who are starving for real leadership."

"I'm prepared to discuss the war, health care, trade, or any other issue anytime, anywhere, with any audience, answering any question from any media. And any candidate who won't shouldn't be President of the United States."

I couldn't agree more.
Never thought I'd do this, but Kucinich

This further politicizing of networks is not a good thing, IMO. Additionally, when debating I'd relish the opportunity to do so at a venue that may have opposing viewpoints. I wish Edwards had the same mentality.
Old 03-12-07, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Yes, it seems only the Republicans use childish smears and negative campaign ads.
Yes, because that's exactly what he said...
Old 03-12-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Yes, because that's exactly what he said...
It is certainly what he implied.
Old 03-12-07, 12:43 PM

It is certainly what he implied.
Funny, I took that comment about the Democrats and liberal bloggers needing to shut up as an implication of just the opposite.
Old 03-12-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Honestly, I can't help you if you don't first want help.
Old 03-12-07, 01:04 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Geofferson
http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20...ation/45174222

Kucinich Slams Fox Debate Cancellation

Never thought I'd do this, but Kucinich

This further politicizing of networks is not a good thing, IMO.
I agree.
Old 03-12-07, 01:06 PM
Admin-Thanos

Honestly, I can't help you if you don't first want help.
Help me help YOU kvrdave.
Old 03-13-07, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Dems are making a big mistake. Even if you were to say that the Fox News channel viewers were 75% hardcore insane Republicans and 25% people in the middle and no Democratic viewer whatsoever (I'm sure thats not the real breakdown, but just imagine it is) they are still making a mistake by not opening up their ideas to that 25%. They're letting the far left dictate the agenda. Moveon.org is not going to help you win the election. The thing that really turns me off to groups like that on the left and the right side of the spectrum is they aren't about expanding their ideas or promoting agendas to anyone except people that already agree with them. They just shifted anyone that wasn't a diehard Republican to the right by aligning with moveon.org because that group doesn't like Fox News.

Just ask John Kerry. Earlier last year being interviewed by O'Reilly he said he should have appeared on his show and on the Fox News Channel more during the 04 election, and that the channel gave him a fair shake. Now is John Kerry some conservative tool whose job it is to promote Fox? Don't think so.
Old 03-13-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A large group of citizens should simply go to Fox studios and dismantle it piece by piece.
Old 03-13-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Air America's Invitation...

Dear Republican Chairman Ray Hoffmann of Iowa, Republican Chairman Paul Willis of Nevada, Republican Chairman Katon Dawson of South Carolina and Republican Chairman Fergus Cullen of New Hampshire,

As the new president of Air America, I'd like to offer to host or co-host one of your upcoming presidential debates.

Why us? First, this would allow your debate to reach many voters. Combining our 2 million radio audience, along with our satellite, internet and web audiences, means that some 2.5 million Americans would hear or read about the debate..

Second, it would allow Republicans to differentiate themselves from Democrats – embracing a debate hosted by a progressive media outlet after Nevada Democrats canceled a debate scheduled to be hosted by the conservative Fox Cable News Channel. The MoveOn organization spurred 265,000 people to complain about the original plan, calling Fox a “mouthpiece for the Republican Party.” In reply, Fox’s Mort Kondrake called the Nevada Democratic Party's rejection of Fox a “Stalinist” violation of “free speech and free debate.” So should you accept Air America's offer, Republicans would both embrace free debate and stick it to Stalin at the same time.

Third, our offer permits you to include any other national media company as a co-host -- like Fox. For example, a panel with Fox representing the conservative viewpoint and Air America the progressive viewpoint would make for a very "fair and balanced" debate -- not to mention that Fox's viewers per evening are coincidentally comparable to our 2.5 million listeners, meaning that several million unique people would hear your debate (assuming next to no overlap between our two disparate audiences).

We would be honored not only to co-host such an event; but also to broadcast it live without commercial interruption on the day that you choose.

I look forward to your response and to working with you on this important event.

Yours,

Mark Green
President, Air America Radio
http://www.airamerica.com/aainvite
Old 03-13-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
That would insure that it would be heard by dozens.
Old 03-13-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good. No democrat in their right mind should go on fox news.
Old 03-13-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Good. No democrat in their right mind should go on fox news.
And there we have it.