Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Gingrich had affair during Clinton probe

Old 03-08-07, 09:01 PM

Gingrich had affair during Clinton probe

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/...ingrich_affair

WASHINGTON - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich acknowledged he was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against
President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with a conservative Christian group.
ADVERTISEMENT

"The honest answer is yes," Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson to be aired Friday, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press. "There are times that I have fallen short of my own standards. There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards."

Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.

"The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in front of a sitting federal judge," the former Georgia congressman said of Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges. "I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest officials."

Widely considered a mastermind of the Republican revolution that swept Congress in the 1994 elections, Gingrich remains wildly popular among many conservatives. He has repeatedly placed near the top of Republican presidential polls recently, even though he has not formed a campaign.

Gingrich has said he is waiting to see how the Republican field shapes up before deciding in the fall whether to run.

Reports of extramarital affairs have dogged him for years as a result of two messy divorces, but he has refused to discuss them publicly.

Gingrich, who frequently campaigned on family values issues, divorced his second wife, Marianne, in 2000 after his attorneys acknowledged Gingrich's relationship with his current wife, Callista Bisek, a former congressional aide more than 20 years younger than he is.

His first marriage, to his former high school geometry teacher, Jackie Battley, ended in divorce in 1981. Although Gingrich has said he doesn't remember it, Battley has said Gingrich discussed divorce terms with her while she was recuperating in the hospital from cancer surgery.

Gingrich married Marianne months after the divorce.

"There were times when I was praying and when I felt I was doing things that were wrong. But I was still doing them," he said in the interview. "I look back on those as periods of weakness and periods that I'm ... not proud of."

Gingrich's congressional career ended in 1998 when he abruptly resigned from Congress after poor showings from Republicans in elections and after being reprimanded by the House ethics panel over charges that he used tax-exempt funding to advance his political goals.

I'm surprised I'm the first one to bring this up... you people are getting slow

Since it was obviously a staged event do you think this "preemptive strike" will help or hurt his chances in '08? By outing himself now do you think most people will have forgotten by then, or are we going to hear about this again and again?
Old 03-08-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it was already brought up in the derby thread before that article.

Edit: No, wait. it probably was the "Is anyone depressed..." thread. Maybe both.
Old 03-08-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nemein
By outing himself now do you think most people will have forgotten by then, or are we going to hear about this again and again?
IF he's really planning on running I think getting this out now is a good move. People will get over it, move on, and forget about it by next week.
Old 03-08-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gingrich and Henry Hyde can both rot in hell for their disgusting hypocrisy, as far as I'm concerned.
There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards.
What a fucking ego! There are "times" when he's fallen short of God's standards? I think we all fall short about 99.999% of the time.

That being said, pulling this mea culpa now isn't going to help him later. The evangelicals are having trouble with an otherwise decent Giuliani over his divorces, for crying out loud. You think they're going to just ignore this adulterous hypocrite's sins? I don't think Newt has quite the power that his massive ego thinks he has.
Old 03-08-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Funny how so often the most moralistic creeps telling to us how we are supposed to live are the worst followers of their own preaching. That goes for both the Gingriches and the Gores among us.
Old 03-08-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
It is a such shame the people most qualified to lead our nation are also the least likely to prevail in an election.
What has Newt done lately that makes him so well-qualified?
Old 03-08-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
To understand beauty and goodness one must have experienced pain.
So preaching "family values" while cheating on your wife is just a learning experience, eh?
Old 03-09-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Before someone points a finger, they should try it out in front of a mirror.
Old 03-09-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk God

A good move if he is planning to run. But even coming from my standpoint, I'm so numb to all of this stuff from all of the politicians that I'm ready to vote for a pedophile if he actually has a good smile.
Old 03-09-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Numanoid
So preaching "family values" while cheating on your wife is just a learning experience, eh?
Shortly after campaigning that he wished Washinton would quit talking about family values, Clinton preached them as well. As has every other politician at some time.
Old 03-09-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by movielib
Funny how so often the most moralistic creeps telling to us how we are supposed to live are the worst followers of their own preaching. That goes for both the Gingriches and the Gores among us.
I don't know that they are the worst followers, but they are the most visible. And while I tend to agree with you, I dislike the general idea that we should not hold morals that we aren't capable of confroming to perfectly (not that you are saying that), Setting high standards certainly won't mean that you are perfect at them, but we should still strive for high standards. But I do get what you are saying.
Old 03-09-07, 02:16 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

This really irritates me too. It is easy not to cheat on your wife. It speaks a certain lack of respect for yourself and your wife if someone does. I think the powerful(and this cuts across party lines) have a sense of feeling royal and that they can do things and get away with them because of who they are.
Old 03-09-07, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

when I saw the article. So I guess no one's going to ever mention Clinton's BJ ever again eh? Well, you can...but you know what the response will be. Thanks Newt!
Old 03-09-07, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bhk
This really irritates me too. It is easy not to cheat on your wife.
Sure, if your wife's not annoying, a pain in the ass, and/or ugly.

One's judgment of others only indicates one's own lack of perspective and experience. Don't get me wrong. I think Newt's an asshole. But not just because he cheated.

And btw, cheating's hardly the sole realm of politicians.

Last edited by hahn; 03-09-07 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-09-07, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Whatever, both Gingrich AND Clinton are arrogant douchebags for arrogant douchebag "Do as I say, not as I do" elitist political parties.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-09-07 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-09-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought Gingrich had admitted this quite some time ago - on Meet the Press, if I recall correctly.
Old 03-09-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I don't know that they are the worst followers, but they are the most visible. And while I tend to agree with you, I dislike the general idea that we should not hold morals that we aren't capable of confroming to perfectly (not that you are saying that), Setting high standards certainly won't mean that you are perfect at them, but we should still strive for high standards. But I do get what you are saying.
It's a matter of ego and pride. Gingrich wasn't "holding high morals" because he honestly believed it was in the best interest of the country, or simply the right way to live, but because it made him appear to be a better person than his fellow politicians (specifically his opponents) who DIDN'T hold similar views.

And THAT is a major reason why people trot out "morals" and "values" to point to the behavior of others. To make themselves appear superior. Bring up these when talking about one's self (including the shortcomings), and it flips everything upside down.... and it requires something that all politicians lack... humility.
Old 03-09-07, 08:57 AM
Admin-MemeCat

I think this just shows that we don't need politicians of high family morality, but of governmental morality. That's the job we hired them to do. If a CEO cheats on his wife, the shareholders don't give a rat's ass as long as he does a good job and makes them money.

Newt cheating on his wife while preaching family values...priceless.
Old 03-09-07, 09:12 AM

I saw this story in the paper this morning, buried in a couple paragraphs in the back.

Damn liberal media.
Old 03-09-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
A good move if he is planning to run. But even coming from my standpoint, I'm so numb to all of this stuff from all of the politicians that I'm ready to vote for a pedophile if he actually has a good smile.
That explains why America voted a President into office twice with an arrest record. I actually take these things into consideration.
Old 03-09-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
Newt cheating on his wife while preaching family values...priceless.
Yup. I'm a fiscal Republican, not a social one. I'd vote for Newt if I really thought he would lower my taxes, make government smaller and less obtrusive.

But I am amazed the family values crowd who opposes birth control and abortion is so willing to forgive a liar who has a long term track record of not keeping his dick in his pants.

The man is a scumbag. The question is whether he is my scumbag. (He isn't, and if he is the party candidate, I'll have to vote Democratic or Libertarian. Libertarian to feel good, Democratic if there was a snowball's chance in hell Newt could win.)
Old 03-09-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
This really irritates me too. It is easy not to cheat on your wife. It speaks a certain lack of respect for yourself and your wife if someone does. I think the powerful(and this cuts across party lines) have a sense of feeling royal and that they can do things and get away with them because of who they are.
Old 03-09-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't Giuliani cheat on his wife too?
Old 03-09-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Which one of the five?
Old 03-09-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk God

BTW: I wonder if John McCain cheated on his first wife??

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.