Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

US Missile Defense to cover some of Europe -- (Posts from Carter thread are here)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

US Missile Defense to cover some of Europe -- (Posts from Carter thread are here)

Old 03-08-07, 03:23 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,187
US Missile Defense to cover some of Europe -- (Posts from Carter thread are here)

Thanks America

As you know I am largely positive towards America, unlike many of my social-democratic countrymen.

You probably know about the missile defense.
http://www.mda.mil/mdalink/html/mdalink.html

There have been several articles here confirming that Denmark, Poland and Czech Republic are to enjoy the protection of the missile defense, provided those countries' politicans support it. I assume it has to do with the allied ties, the support in Iraq, and Greenland and other areas that America will gain access to to install the necessary stuff.

Good news is our politicans here in Denmark are positive of the idea.

Thanks America
Parcher is offline  
Old 03-08-07, 07:59 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
You are welcome
kvrdave is offline  
Old 03-08-07, 08:01 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Eh, I don't know why we bother. But hey it's just money.
Mopower is offline  
Old 03-08-07, 10:39 PM
  #4  
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749
Yes, but think, instead of being used to intimidate the enemy and protect friends, the money could have been wasted on buying prescription medications for the one group of people in this country that control the most wealth.
bhk is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 12:32 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by bhk
Yes, but think, instead of being used to intimidate the enemy and protect friends, the money could have been wasted on buying prescription medications for the one group of people in this country that control the most wealth.

Or the government could just stop fucking us over every time we get paid. But hey, I love giving them 2 or 3 days wages per paycheck so they can spend it on protecting Denmark.
Mopower is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 12:33 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
I doubt that much of your paycheck goes for this.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 07:34 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Really? How are the people responding to the initiative? Do they agree with the program, or are they skeptical, perhaps believing it will only serve to provoke Russia or Iran into becoming more hostile? What do the regular folks feel?

Also, are you familiar with the sentiment in other European countries?

I'd really appreciate any first-hand info and insight you may have.
It's not getting a lot of attention here. It's been in talk for years now -I remember hearing about it back in 2002 I think.
Honestly I think most here do support it, despite the anti-americanism.
Parcher is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 01:01 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,862
Are you still required by law to keep your headlights on?
The Bus is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 01:41 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,920
Of course here, "are to enjoy the protection of the missile defense" means that the US, for it's own protection, has determined that Poland was the best place for the interceptors and that the radar should be in the Czech Republic.

Poland seems a bit more open to the idea than the Czech Republic, and of course Russia is totally opposed and has already warned the two nations of "consequences". The Czech Republic has rejected holding a referendum on the issue but a poll released last Friday shows that 61% of Czechs are opposed to the idea (24% support it, 14% undecided). So, how big a bribe is it going to take?

Last edited by eXcentris; 03-09-07 at 01:46 PM.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:05 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
I remember Denmark was unique among west European nations, as a majority of its people actually supported the Iraq invasion before it was launched. Would you say your country still is more pro-American than the rest of Europe, or has the Bush administraiton been so thoroughly discredited even there people no longer hold positive views of the U.S., or at least not to a greater degree than the rest of Europe?
Most of Denmark is anti-Bush and a lot are anti-American. I remember on the news, the ambassador from the US Embassy held a speech about Iraq and America in general to some high school somewhere, and after the speech the news interviewed some students who remarked: "I am surprised there ARE decent Americans" "It's nice to know SOME OF THEM have brains" "It's nice to know they aren't all crazy and stupid" etc etc. I was yelling fuck you from the top of my lungs.

Honestly, even pre- Iraq war "everyone" here "hated" Bush and the news were constantly bashing and criticizing.
- But I also believe there ARE Danes who are very pro-America, they just don't shout out about it.

I remember I once walked out of a history lesson because my socialist teacher argued that America did in fact play almost no role in WW2, completely ignorant of the fact that had America not been there the Soviet Union would have advanced further (which honestly isn't better than Nazism), and ignorant of the fact that America DID play a big part in WW2!!! that blundering idiot. Of course everyone in the classroom who probably couldn't name who the Allieds or Axis nations were agreed with her and also "blamed Bush" for something while they were at it.
Parcher is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:07 PM
  #11  
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749
I remember I once walked out of a history lesson because my socialist teacher argued that America did in fact play almost no role in WW2, completely ignorant of the fact that had America not been there the Soviet Union would have advanced further (which honestly isn't better than Nazism), and ignorant of the fact that America DID play a big part in WW2!!! that blundering idiot. Of course everyone in the classroom who probably couldn't name who the Allieds or Axis nations were agreed with her and also "blamed Bush" for something while they were at it.
I'm sad about that but happy as well knowing that public schools elsewhere are just as bad as they are in the US.
bhk is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:16 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,920
Originally Posted by Parcher
I remember I once walked out of a history lesson because my socialist teacher argued that America did in fact play almost no role in WW2, completely ignorant of the fact that had America not been there the Soviet Union would have advanced further (which honestly isn't better than Nazism), and ignorant of the fact that America DID play a big part in WW2!!! that blundering idiot.
Was he arguing about actually winning WWII? If so, I don't see how your point about the Soviet Union advancing further is relevant. It makes you sound just as biased as you claim he was.

Oh, and your "he's a socialist, I walked out, he's an idiot" comments don't help your credibility here either.

Last edited by eXcentris; 03-09-07 at 02:18 PM.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:20 PM
  #13  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,582
It sounds like Verizon or something:

"Hey...It's the Missile Network!"
VinVega is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:23 PM
  #14  
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Was he arguing about actually winning WWII? If so, I don't see how your point about the Soviet Union advancing further is relevant. It makes you sound just as biased as you claim he was.

Oh, and your "he's a socialist, I walked out, he's an idiot" comments don't help your credibility here either.
You're partially correct, there's no need to say "he's an idiot" after saying "he's a socialist."
bhk is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:26 PM
  #15  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,854
Originally Posted by bhk
You're partially correct, there's no need to say "he's an idiot" after saying "he's a socialist."
Yes, because John Stuart Mill was a moron.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:29 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,920
Originally Posted by bhk
You're partially correct, there's no need to say "he's an idiot" after saying "he's a socialist."

I would reply in kind, but I heard that these types of idiotic generalizations were frowned upon on this forum...
eXcentris is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:29 PM
  #17  
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749
You know, many of my mentors have told me that if you keep doing something that doesn't work, that's the definition of stupidity.
bhk is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:30 PM
  #18  
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749
Originally Posted by eXcentris
I would reply in kind, but I heard that these types of idiotic generalizations were frowned upon on this forum...
I thought we were talking about the teacher who thought that America had no role in WWII?
bhk is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:33 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,920
I have nothing to add, you're doing perfectly fine digging that hole by yourself.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:37 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Was he arguing about actually winning WWII? If so, I don't see how your point about the Soviet Union advancing further is relevant. It makes you sound just as biased as you claim he was.

Oh, and your "he's a socialist, I walked out, he's an idiot" comments don't help your credibility here either.
Her argument was that America played almost no role in WWII, and she also remarked that there were almost no Americans involved in D-Day either - those were her words translated into English.
I got into a discussion with her about it, citing numbers (this was years ago, and coincidentally like 2 days after I had just read a long article about Amercan involvement in WW II). Remember, I did NOT get personal - she did, all the teachers did immediately whenever there was a discussion about something. The teachers were seriously out of line, and VERY biased and colored preaching "fraternity" and "social values" (and high taxes!!) from dawn till dusk.

I was also almost thrown out of high school because I contradicted by social studies teacher who to the bone was a communist. Yes, I raised my hand, got permission to talk, and was almost thrown out because she didn't agree. Coincidentally I found out about that time that one of my brother's friends (who had gone to the school 2 years earlier) had walked out of her class because she was being so irrational, biased and personal.

By the way, it's well know - and I really mean that, well known that many teachers here are socialists. It's called the "Jante law" which has been favored by the educational system for decades and it still exists here, and teachers live by it. You aren't particularly rewarded for excelling. When I lived in America I got tons of "rewards" and honors and stickers in my school, the elite was nurtured. Back here I just got a "don't think you're anything".

Also, I think socialism *is* retarded. I understand why it was popular back in the day of minimal state conversative industrial age where workers DID suffer, big time. But not in modern times.
Parcher is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:40 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Originally Posted by Parcher
I remember I once walked out of a history lesson because my socialist teacher argued that America did in fact play almost no role in WW2
Surprisingly she didn't say that they played the role of war criminal...or did she?
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:44 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Surprisingly she didn't say that they played the role of war criminal...or did she?
No but our history book that she was using in her classes did. And I am very serious about that. It had a little paragraph about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the war in the Pacific, but lots of space devoted to how America "slaughtered thousands of Japanese" and ONLY arguing that it was wrong to drop nukes in 45, NOT presenting any counter arguments. I showed the book to my family once at a celebration, and they were all a little stunned by the content of that chapter.
Parcher is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:46 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,920
Originally Posted by Parcher
Her argument was that America played almost no role in WWII, and she also remarked that there were almost no Americans involved in D-Day either - those were her words translated into English.
Again, "almost no role in WWII" or "almost no role in WINNING WWII"? I'm afraid I'm going to have to see the transcript of what she said exactly before I believe you, especially considering you brought up an irrelevant point in your defense the 1st time around.

But yeah, if she said that about D-Day, that's just stupid.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:49 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
It's wrong to assume our teachers here are men - we ARE a generation raised by women a la the quote from Fight Club. Women in kindergarden, women in elementary school, women in junior high, women in high school. Nothing but women preaching "soft values" and "tolerance" and "solidarity", and whenever a political issue was raised they got personal with those who argued conservatively or with libertarian ways. Very out of line and unacceptable.

Last edited by Parcher; 03-09-07 at 02:53 PM.
Parcher is offline  
Old 03-09-07, 02:52 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Again, "almost no role in WWII" or "almost no role in WINNING WWII"? I'm afraid I'm going to have to see the transcript of what she said exactly before I believe you, especially considering you brought up an irrelevant point in your defense the 1st time around.

But yeah, if she said that about D-Day, that's just stupid.
This was 4 years ago, I don't remember the conversation to transcript it. But translated into English she said that America played: "Almost no role in WW II".
It's not surprising, many teachers here always argued that we should "thank" only the Soviet Union and not America, because the Soviet Union lost a lot more men fighting Germany, and because America only did it out of selfishness.

I couldn't deal with that blatant lack of respect for the soldiers who gave everything, so after more personal attacks I left class.

And yes she did say that about D-Day, and then I quoted a bunch of figures which initially shut her up because she was probably surprised about the numbers AND the fact that I knew them, but then she just got personal and said "you always support America".
Parcher is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.