Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Barak Obama---Scofflaw

Old 03-07-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Barak Obama---Scofflaw

Originally Posted by The Somerville News
March 07, 2007
Obama finally pays local parking tickets

By George P. Hassett

Before Barack Obama was a United States senator and a presidential hopeful, he was a Harvard University law student living in Somerville who parked in bus stops and accumulated hundreds of dollars in parking tickets. And for nearly two decades those parking tickets went unpaid, until a representative of Obama’s settled all his outstanding debts with Cambridge’s Traffic, Parking and Transportation Department Jan. 26.

Obama attended Harvard Law School from 1988 to 1991. During his time at Harvard, Obama lived at 365 Broadway in Somerville, according to his parking tickets. Records from the Cambridge Traffic, Parking and Transportation office show that between Oct. 5, 1988 and Jan. 12, 1990 Obama was cited for 17 traffic violations, sometimes committing two in the same day. The abuses included parking in a resident permit area, parking in a bus stop and failing to pay the meter. Twelve of Obama’s 17 tickets were given to him on Massachusetts Avenue.

In one eight day stretch in 1988, Obama was cited seven times for parking violations and was fined $45. Thirteen of the 17 violations occurred within one month in 1988.

Obama’s disobedience of the rules of the road earned him $140 in fines from the City of Cambridge. The tickets went unpaid for over 17 years and $260 in late fees were added to the tab. On Jan. 26, the fines and late fees were paid in full. The final tally for Obama’s parking breaches was $400, according to Cambridge Traffic, Parking and Transportation.

Obama spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said the presidential candidate’s parking violations were not relevant.

“He didn’t owe that much and what he did owe, he paid,” Psaki said. “Many people have parking tickets and late fees. All the parking tickets and late fees were paid in full.”

Psaki declined to comment further. She refused to say how the fines went unpaid so long and what prompted Obama to finally pay them.

At Harvard, Obama became the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review. After school, he spent eight years in the Illinois state senate before becoming a United States Senator in 2005. He is currently campaigning for the Democratic nomination for president.
I guess someone decided to nip Clinton Opponent Research in the bud.

Although on the radio they were talking to the reporter and it turns out he was using two different license plates and he didn't pay his excise taxes either.
Old 03-07-07, 06:00 PM
X
Administrator

Although bits of this have previously surfaced, the opposition research was a little more damaging here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/07/us...gewanted=print

Looks like the Clintons still have some friends.
Old 03-07-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2 Interesting points.

1. Illinois and Mass. are part of the reciprocity compact. How did he manage to register a car.

2. IIRC the application to take the bar has a Character and Fitness Questionnaire on which you are to list any unpaid tickets/outstanding warrants. I wonder if he listed them.
Old 03-07-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We need Congressional Hearings.
Old 03-07-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is going to be a long year. On the positive side, maybe by next year all the crap will be out of the way and we might have real debate on issues.
Old 03-07-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
Although bits of this have previously surfaced, the opposition research was a little more damaging here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/07/us...gewanted=print

Looks like the Clintons still have some friends.
The spokesman, Bill Burton, said Mr. Obama’s broker bought the stocks without consulting the senator, under the terms of a blind trust that was being set up for the senator at that time but was not finalized until several months after the investments were made.

sounds like a non-story to me. especially since he lost money on the deal
Old 03-07-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's next, an expose on how he wasn't kind and didn't rewind?
Old 03-07-07, 11:05 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Venusian
The spokesman, Bill Burton, said Mr. Obama’s broker bought the stocks without consulting the senator, under the terms of a blind trust that was being set up for the senator at that time but was not finalized until several months after the investments were made.

sounds like a non-story to me. especially since he lost money on the deal
I suppose you can quote any part of this you want.

... and they bought a $1.6 million house in June. The house sat on a large property that was subdivided to make it more affordable, and one of Mr. Obama’s political donors bought the adjacent lot.
This is the one that I heard about a while ago that seems to have some substance.

It's all sounding like innoculation for cattle futures.
Old 03-08-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, for the next year you have people of the same party digging the dirt. After that we get the new dirt that the opposing party found. Finally, we get the real dirt that they hold off on until just before the election.

My guess is that it all just gets worse for each election in the future.
Old 03-08-07, 09:06 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Speaks of kind of a noblesse oblige that these people think of themselves as while of course, acting and pretending like they are for the little guy.
Old 03-08-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jason
What's next, an expose on how he wasn't kind and didn't rewind?

Old 03-08-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If parking tickets are the worst that can happen, then Obama is a real boy scout. I'm surprised I haven't heard more on the investment side of things (which again, wasn't a big deal and was handled correctly).

Then again I also think that 90% of "dirt" that's caught is largely irrelevant.
Old 03-08-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
If parking tickets are the worst that can happen, then Obama is a real boy scout. I'm surprised I haven't heard more on the investment side of things (which again, wasn't a big deal and was handled correctly).

We have a President who was elected by the people who has an arrest record, for crying out loud. Even I have no arrest record!
Old 03-08-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Venusian
This is going to be a long year. On the positive side, maybe by next year all the crap will be out of the way and we might have real debate on issues.
Try holding your breath for that one.
Old 03-08-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I can't imagine this going anywhere at all.
Old 03-08-07, 03:45 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus

More on the investment deal.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/189506

Stock deals rattle Obama

MANUEL BALCE CENETA/AP
Would-be Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is under fire for investing $50,000 in a drug company and satellite firm.
Claims he was not aware of shares in firms backed by political donors

Mar 08, 2007 04:30 AM
Tim Harper
WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON–Barack Obama, who is seeking the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination, has been forced to defend some curious stock purchases in companies that were backed by some of his top political donors.

The Illinois senator was knocked briefly off stride yesterday after The New York Times and the financial website TheStreet.com raised questions about his investment of more than $50,000 (U.S.) in a speculative drug company and satellite stocks.

The smaller of the two investments, $5,000, was in the biotech company AVI Biopharma, a company developing a drug to combat avian flu, a cause Obama quickly took up in Congress just after investing in the stock.

But Obama told reporters yesterday that both purchases were made for him by a broker as part of a quasi-blind trust and he knew of neither investment until he received a stockholder letter in 2005.

"At no point did I know what stocks were held, and at no point did I direct how those stocks were invested," he said.

When he saw the stock mailing, Obama said, he decided his trust was not sufficiently blind and put his money in generic money market accounts.

He lost $13,000 on the sale and there is no evidence that either AVI, or the other company, SkyTerra Communications, benefited in any way from Obama.

The senator's explanation appeared to take much of the steam from would-be critics.

According to Obama's 2005 financial disclosure report, he purchased the shares of SkyTerra Feb. 10, 2005 and sold them Nov. 1, 2005. He bought the AVI stock Feb. 22, 2005 and sold them Oct. 28, 2005.

The Center for Responsive Politics, a non-partisan organization which tracks political spending, puts Obama's net worth between $1.1 million and $2.5 million.

His personal finances soared following his 2004 Senate election when he received a $1.9 million advance on his book The Audacity of Hope and his wife, Michelle, received a promotion and salary boost at the Chicago hospital where she works.

Since Obama has made ethics a cornerstone of his campaign, he will be under intense scrutiny.

He has already apologized for the "boneheaded" decision to involve a political contributor in a deal to purchase his Chicago home.

The contributor is now embroiled in an unrelated political scandal in Chicago.

Some political analysts said they believed the stock questions were all smoke, no fire.

"The only conclusion you can reach,'' said Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia's Center for Politics "is that every presidential candidate is going to have to undergo an intense proctoscopic exam in which every single financial, political and cultural move will be scrutinized, perhaps beyond reason."

"Look at how much time the media is going to have to look at things like this,'' he said.

The Democrats will select their presidential candidate at an August 2008 convention for the Nov. 4, 2008 election.

Obama said he went to a wealthy campaign backer, George Haywood, to recommend a broker and assumed the broker was recommending stocks to him that he was recommending to others.

He said until he received the book deal, he and his wife had little to invest but he determined he could risk some money on the market.

"I thought about going to Warren Buffet,'' he said of the billionaire investor and supporter, "but I decided it would be embarrassing with only $100,000 to invest, to ask his advice.''

Critics on the right largely held their fire yesterday.

"If Obama really didn't know about his investments in companies that would benefit from his legislation,'' said National Review Online, a conservative voice, "it's a remarkable coincidence, as these weren't really two widely known or widely held companies.''
Expect the US media to give this the same intense scrutiny that they gave Hillary's cattle future dealings---that is, none.
Old 03-08-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

we need that roosevelt/hitler good boy/bad boy comparisson again
Old 03-08-07, 04:33 PM

Having unpaid parking tickets is as American as apple pie.
Old 03-08-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
I suppose you can quote any part of this you want.

This is the one that I heard about a while ago that seems to have some substance.

It's all sounding like innoculation for cattle futures.

i admit it, i didn't read the whole article. I had read an article earlier about the stock purchases so assumed this one was the same, saw that part and quoted it
Old 03-09-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, he often fails to signal when changing lanes, which is really irritating.
Old 03-09-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Check the tags on his matress....HA!!!! what tags....bastard.
Old 03-09-07, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Whats funny is that Obama will sling dirt on Hillary, Hillary will sling dirt on Obama, and the MSM wont have a clue what the fuck to do
Old 03-09-07, 02:06 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Whats funny is that Obama will sling dirt on Hillary, Hillary will sling dirt on Obama, and the MSM wont have a clue what the fuck to do
No, they'll do what they always do, run cover for both of them until the end of the convention. Then they'll run cover for the one that's remaining.
Old 03-09-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Also, he often fails to signal when changing lanes, which is really irritating.
And the worst of all offenses according to DVDTalk - throwing his cigarette butts on the ground.
Old 03-09-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
No, they'll do what they always do, run cover for both of them until the end of the convention. Then they'll run cover for the one that's remaining.
The lamestream media didn't cover Kerry when his highly decorated service to the country was smeared by a group who never even served on the same boat with him. The MSM did exactly the opposite.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.