DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   Corzine acknowledges more gifts to ex-girlfriend/union boss (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/494328-corzine-acknowledges-more-gifts-ex-girlfriend-union-boss.html)

bhk 03-04-07 11:13 PM

Corzine acknowledges more gifts to ex-girlfriend/union boss

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...on-apnewjersey

March 4, 2007, 4:32 PM EST

TRENTON, N.J. -- New Jersey's multimillionaire governor is now acknowledging additional large gifts to a state worker union boss he dated _ gifts that weren't mentioned while he was running for office in 2005.

Gov. Jon S. Corzine told The Sunday Star-Ledger of Newark that he gave the money to union leader Carla Katz to avoid "ongoing financial connections" after their two-year relationship ended in 2004.

Another large gift, involving the forgiveness of a $470,000 mortgage on Katz's home in Hunterdon County, became an issue in Corzine's successful run for governor.

In acknowledging to The Star-Ledger that there were other gifts, Corzine on Friday wouldn't disclose exact details or amounts, but did indicate that they were more than tokens.

"If you were _ I'm hypothesizing; I'm not stating anything _ if you were going to pay a tuition bill or something over a period of time ... you pre-funded it. I could have done that," Corzine told The Star-Ledger.

But Corzine backpedalled when asked if that meant he paid for Katz's children to go to a private school. "I'm not saying that at all," he said.

Katz is president of Communications Workers of America Local 1034, the biggest state workers union chapter. Corzine met Katz when he was running for the U.S. Senate in late 1999, and they began dating in 2002, the same year Corzine separated from his wife. Corzine's divorce became final in late 2003.

Katz has recently been critical of a tentative four-year contract struck with the state, a stance that runs against higher-ups in the CWA.

When contacted by The Star-Ledger, she declined to comment on past financial ties with Corzine.

Last year, Katz filed a financial disclosure form with the Public Employment Relations Commission that stated that Corzine gave more than $1,000 to her and to each of her children during the 2005 calendar year. An exact dollar amount was not required on the form.
Question: Is Corzine a Dem? It's not mentioned in the article.

Business in NJ as usual.

X 03-04-07 11:27 PM

If you didn't pay gift taxes on those "gifts" wouldn't it be considered tax evasion? At least outside of New Jersey?

Bushdog 03-04-07 11:29 PM

That's a lot of money.

DVD Polizei 03-05-07 01:48 AM

http://www.bridalgarden.org/ParadiseBall02-b.html

There they are at the Paradise Ball 2002.

tcoursen 03-05-07 09:05 AM

Corzine is a democrat. He has been a HORRIBLE governor so far. I would love to see some NJ democrats from this forum post some of the things that they think he has done right.

He bought the election to be a Senator and then he bought the governorship of NJ. Cost him > 100 Million dollars.

classicman2 03-05-07 09:09 AM

What was Corzine's percentage (margin) of victory when he ran for governor?

tcoursen 03-05-07 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by classicman2
What was Corzine's percentage of victory when he ran for governor?

Pretty sure he got somewhere between 55-60% of the vote, so like a 10-15% win.

I will add that his opponent was not a very good choice either.

al_bundy 03-05-07 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by tcoursen
Corzine is a democrat. He has been a HORRIBLE governor so far. I would love to see some NJ democrats from this forum post some of the things that they think he has done right.

He bought the election to be a Senator and then he bought the governorship of NJ. Cost him > 100 Million dollars.

personally i think the whole NJ state government is a joke, but a lot of the problems of high property taxes outside NYC in LI, Westchester and NJ is local problems because every little village wants independence from the county and state and they need to replicate the same functions 1000 times over

tcoursen 03-05-07 09:22 AM

And don't forget that at least in NJ the school funding is a fiasco. The city of Newark which has tons and tons of money has the state and/or feds pay for 91% of it schools. So the city of Newark which has tons and tons of businesses, makes hundreds of millions every year off of its airport, has one of the busiest ports in the country, but can't pay for it's schools? Meanwhile my middle class run of the mill town has to pay 89% of its school budget and gets almost nothing from the state and fed.

This makes the property taxes the joke that they are in the suberbs.

al_bundy 03-05-07 09:37 AM

and i bet newark also gave up some control of it's schools to the state. almost everywhere in the NYC suburbs all the little towns don't want the state or the county to have any control at all

tcoursen 03-05-07 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
and i bet newark also gave up some control of it's schools to the state. almost everywhere in the NYC suburbs all the little towns don't want the state or the county to have any control at all

I believe that Newark does control their own schools. I think there are only two places where the state controls the schools and that is Jersey City and Camden.

The problem is that there was a court ruling in the 80's that said that it wasn't fair that the rich suburbs in NJ spent more per kid than places like Newark. That it put the kids in newark at a disadvantage, etc. etc. That court ruling created 30 special needs districts called "Abbott" districts. These 30 districts suck up I believe it is 80% of all the money that the state spends on education. That is 30 out of more than 600 school districts. These towns have been getting tons and tons of money from the state of NJ for over 20 years now and guess what, they STILL SUCK!!!!!!!

And they have never gone back and rechecked to see if some of these towns should still even qualify. One of the towns on the list is Hoboken. Hoboken was a dump when this stuff was created, but in the late 80's it turned itself around and is now an expensive town. Our current Governor lives there as does one of our Senators. So that tells you how nice it is. It is right across the river from NYC and a lot of highly paid wall street people live in the nice fancy pricey condos in Hoboken. So why does the state and the suberbs still pay for their schools?

bhk 03-05-07 11:26 AM

Corzine is a democrat.

Yeah, I know. ;)

kvrdave 03-05-07 12:21 PM

Tell me (honestly) what is good about New Jersey. I live on the other coast, and all I ever hear about it is terrible things, yet people still live there.

X 03-05-07 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Tell me (honestly) what is good about New Jersey. I live on the other coast, and all I ever hear about it is terrible things, yet people still live there.

That's like asking what's good about Virginia. In that case the answer is, it's not Washington D.C.

tcoursen 03-05-07 12:44 PM

I live hear because I grew up here. Most people are probably to lazy to move away. The last few censuses have shown that more people are moving out of NJ than being born in NJ. People ARE leaving, specifically the ones born here. The only thing keeping the population from falling is foreign immigration.

Only other things I can think of are :

1.) There are jobs here.
2.) The beaches, if you like that sort of stuff.

But really there isn't much going on here that couldn't be found elsewhere.

And really why should people have to move away from where they grew up? Why should people have to leave the state? All they would really have to do is stick it to a couple of the corrupt politicians, get rid of just a few of the loopholes in the laws that they exploit, and a lot of things would get better. It's not so much BAD as it is EXPENSIVE.

al_bundy 03-05-07 12:52 PM

NJ is a lost cause, just like california. I shake my head at the property taxes i see people pay. Few hundred miles south you can get a nice home for like 1/5 the taxes of NJ. But in NJ people tell themselves they are living there for the schools

The Bus 03-05-07 01:11 PM

The state does subsidize hair product purchases.

kvrdave 03-05-07 01:15 PM

And really why should people have to move away from where they grew up? Why should people have to leave the state? All they would really have to do is stick it to a couple of the corrupt politicians, get rid of just a few of the loopholes in the laws that they exploit, and a lot of things would get better. It's not so much BAD as it is EXPENSIVE.

I agree, but if the people don't have the will to get rid of them, I would think about leaving.

tcoursen 03-05-07 01:25 PM

I agree, but if the people don't have the will to get rid of them, I would think about leaving.

I think more and more people are beginning to think about leaving. That is why the property tax issue has been so big lately. It isn't like all of sudden NJ has high property taxes. We've had high taxes for a long time.

Incomes haven't kept up with the property taxes. Taxes in many towns are going up 7% or more each year. Well, raises and stuff just aren't keeping up with that.

People are beginning to wake up, but it is hard to get people out of office in NJ.

CRM114 03-05-07 01:29 PM

So Corzine (a multimillionaire) gave huge cash gifts to a former girlfriend of two years. And he paid her kids tuition.

I could see a problem if it was the other way around. What am I missing?

I admit I'm not good at picking out illegalities in this sort of thing.

Red Dog 03-05-07 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by bhk

Question: Is Corzine a Dem? It's not mentioned in the article.

Of course he is. Would you post this news/article if a Republican did this? :lol:

al_bundy 03-05-07 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
So Corzine (a multimillionaire) gave huge cash gifts to a former girlfriend of two years. And he paid her kids tuition.

watch the Sopranos again, sometime life imitates art

tcoursen 03-05-07 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114

Did you miss the part where this girlfriend is the head of the union that represents the largest number of state employees?

The same union that gave him a big endorsement when he ran for office?

The same union that he negotiates contracts with.

And of course the one obvious rumor is that all this money was hush money to keep her quiet. His ex-wife has really trashed him any time that the press has asked her about him.

I wouldn't be suprised if this type of "gift" by a candidate to a union head were illegal in other states.

And I will just throw this out into the mix as well. He just finished negotiating a new contract with the state workers. Apparently there are 5 unions and these union heads voted and they agreed 3-2 on this new contract. Next step is to have the union members vote on it. This new contract was a BIG part of Corzine being able to had his big budget address a few weeks ago. In that address he mentioned this and it was key part of him being able to brag about not having to raise taxes for the first time in 6 years. Meanwhile, this ex-girlfriend Katz, is telling her members NOT to vote for this deal because it is a bad deal for state workers. She was one of the 2 no votes. And her union since it is the largest can hold up the final vote. I would not be suprised in a few weeks/months when this is REALLY finalized that don't get signifigant changes in the contract. And these changes will fly under the radar and people won't know about them. All they will remember was his speech a few weeks ago. He should not be negotiating contracts with this women.

She did him a favor by keeping quiet while he was out there proclaiming his non-existant victory over the union. Then she goes on the attack and in the end he will give in and some of the concessions that the union was going to have to give will probably not be in the final contract.

CRM114 03-05-07 02:12 PM

Like I said, I can see the problem with the union head paying the governor but the other way around doesn't seem to be intentional. Except to have her shut up about his personal proclivities - which is acceptable to me, I guess.

wendersfan 03-05-07 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Of course he is. Would you post this news/article if a Republican did this? :lol:

But I didn't think the "lamestream enemedia" published articles that are negative towards elected Democrats. :hscratch:

:lol: