Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Ann Coulter refers to John Edwards as a "******"; Dean & Dems Angry.

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Ann Coulter refers to John Edwards as a "******"; Dean & Dems Angry.

Old 03-07-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I'd love to know exactly how many of them understood it the way she meant it or were just laughing and applauding because they heard Faggot.
Its not the word, it was her calling Edwards a faggot that had them rolling in the aisles.

I can't believe anyone is defending her on this....
Old 03-07-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
I can't believe anyone is defending her on this....
I can. Who cares about faggots? Not most of this country, that's for sure. Gotta keep those disgusting perverts in their place, after all.
Old 03-07-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Wouldn't suprise me if many of those who "hate faggots", go online and try to seduce 12-yr olds for sex.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-07-07 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Ann Coulter needs to be sent to Bellevue. She's obviously unhinged.
That sir, is an insult to crazy people everywhere.
Old 03-07-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
What about this don't you understand. No one person speaks for an entire group.

Ann Coulter speaking at an event isn't the Republicans speaking. Its Ann Coulter speaking. She is a conservative voice, but she isn't THE voice of conservatives. To be a little Lebowskiesque thats like her opinon dude.

I don't understand how you can think her statement was so horrible and bring up that people on the left and right are condemning her. So apparently she isn't speaking for Republicans is she? Which one is it?

I just don't get people like you. This is holier than thou 2007, but apparently its still ok for one person to represent an entire group...or is it just groups you already didnt like? So using your crazy logic seeing that a black man committed a murder on the news tonight all black men are violent criminals bent on killing. The other day when I saw a hispanic woman slap her kid in the face at Wal Mart...guess all hispanics are psychotic child abusers. Cops have beat suspects before...guess all cops are bloodthirsty and uncontrollable. My cousin is gay so for all I know all people in Georgia are gay. Don't you understand that your logic of lumping Ann Coulter and all Republicans together is just a little flawed?
I think you're going to extremes so you can excuse a stupid woman's behavior. You're using examples which don't fit this situation, and actually, sound like a few Right-wing blog responses.

The facts are, she was invited to a Republican event. She wouldn't have been asked to participate if she wasn't considered a representative of the Republican Party. If you can't see that, then well, I'm sorry, I guess most of us here just can't comprehend your logic.

Ann Coulter is an extremist, but you fail to realize the Republican Party has been using her mouthpiece for quite some time. Now, she fucked up.
Old 03-07-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CPAC is not a republican event, and she was not speaking for the party. It is a conservative event put on by the American Conservative Union, as well as other conservative co-sponsors. The republican party actually is not well represented at these events, nobody from the national committee was there, and for the second year in a row Saul Anuzis was the only state GOP chairman to show up.
Old 03-07-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
CPAC is not a republican event, and she was not speaking for the party. It is a conservative event put on by the American Conservative Union, as well as other conservative co-sponsors. The republican party actually is not well represented at these events, nobody from the national committee was there, and for the second year in a row Saul Anuzis was the only state GOP chairman to show up.
Please. Democrats could say the same about moveon.org.
Old 03-07-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would love to know Mary Cheney's view on this situation. Coulter isn't stupid. She knew exactly what she was saying: a thinly veiled affront to homosexuals. I'm not surprised pals Hannity, et al. are supporting her.
Old 03-07-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 682 Likes on 437 Posts
IMRICKJAMES, grow up.

When you were a little kid and didn't know any better, maybe you called a friend a "***". I assume you are an adult now, and if you and your friends are still calling each other ****, you just need to grow up. It's derogatory, it's demeaning, it's bigoted and homophobic and it makes you sound like an uneducated and uncivilized boob.

I'll admit that in my youth, I said it a time or two. I know better now, and so should you.

Ann Coulter got up in front of a group of conservatives and called Edwards a faggot. That's a fact and not in dispute. Any attempt to rationalize her behavior makes you sound like you think it's okay to do something like that. Here's news for you: it isn't. Not now, not ever.

Grow up.
Old 03-07-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts
In strict terms of the "Republican Party" as the entity that runs the party, you are technically correct, but the people at these events represent the republican agenda, and these events are seen (correctly) as republican events.
Old 03-07-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I think you're going to extremes so you can excuse a stupid woman's behavior. You're using examples which don't fit this situation, and actually, sound like a few Right-wing blog responses.

The facts are, she was invited to a Republican event. She wouldn't have been asked to participate if she wasn't considered a representative of the Republican Party. If you can't see that, then well, I'm sorry, I guess most of us here just can't comprehend your logic.

Ann Coulter is an extremist, but you fail to realize the Republican Party has been using her mouthpiece for quite some time. Now, she fucked up.
She's been fucking up for a while now. Why the Republican party uses a disingenuous attention whore like herself as a representative is beyond me. It seems like every party, even the Democratic party, is intent on sullying their own name by using such extremists with offensive, inflammatory, and downright BIZARRE behavior.
Old 03-07-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Exactly. I don't think moveon.org "speaks for the democratic party" by any means whatsoever, even though that is the party they support. They've said some really stupid things and I don't hold them against the candidate.
OK, but let's say Moveon.org held an event and Barrack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and John Edwards all showed up. And let's say that a bunch of prominent liberal leaders were there. And let's say that Obama introduced Michael Moore as a speaker, and then during his speech, Moore said something like "I would point out the fact that George W. Bush is putting Israel's interests ahead of our own, but if you call a **** a ****, AIPAC gets mad at you." And let's say that the crowd applauded this statement.

Don't you think Obama, Clinton, Edwards, and any other prominent Democrat who was there would rightly be asked whether they agreed with Moore?

(Footnote -- I can't imagine Michael Moore saying anything even close to the quotation I've put in his mouth, which is a large part of the reason I roll my eyes when people try to portray Coulter and Moore as equivalents)

Edit: The asterisks represent a word that's similar to "kite," but has a second k in place of the t.
Old 03-07-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
I roll my eyes when people try to portray Coulter and Moore as equivalents.
Same here. Moore is far more damaging to the country than Coulter.
Old 03-07-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ann Coulter also made some idiotic comments in her speech about the size of Al Gore, saying he looks like he ate Michael Moore. I know she is speaking to her audience (which this week was mostly college students, I'd say at least 70%), but she does nothing to further intelligent debate whatsoever.
Old 03-07-07, 10:54 AM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts
she does nothing to further intelligent debate whatsoever.
Intelligent debate is vastly overrated. It's much better to call those with whom you disagree names, and then subsequently argue that you never in fact called them names. This requires little or no knowledge of facts, and practically no prior experience in formulating coherent arguments (or sentences, for that matter.)

It's the 21st Century. Get with the program.
Old 03-07-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I would love to know Mary Cheney's view on this situation. Coulter isn't stupid. She knew exactly what she was saying: a thinly veiled affront to homosexuals. I'm not surprised pals Hannity, et al. are supporting her.
I think you have it backwards. It was an attack on John Edwards first (as if calling him gay was somehow funny) and just happened to be homophobic.
Old 03-07-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
OK, but let's say Moveon.org held an event and Barrack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and John Edwards all showed up. And let's say that a bunch of prominent liberal leaders were there. And let's say that Obama introduced Michael Moore as a speaker, and then during his speech, Moore said something like "I would point out the fact that George W. Bush is putting Israel's interests ahead of our own, but if you call a **** a ****, AIPAC gets mad at you." And let's say that the crowd applauded this statement.
I know many of you equate Michael Moore and Ann Coulter but truthfully, I don't think its a fair comparison. I don't believe Moore said anything as offensive as this or the 9.11 widows bit. My 2 cents.

EDIT: I see you acknowledged this further in your post.

Last edited by CRM114; 03-07-07 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ann Coulter also made some idiotic comments in her speech about the size of Al Gore, saying he looks like he ate Michael Moore.
Yeah but if that's all she'd said no one would be talking about it.

I know she is speaking to her audience (which this week was mostly college students, I'd say at least 70%), but she does nothing to further intelligent debate whatsoever.
I do think Al Gore is stealing Michael Moore's carbon credits though.
Old 03-07-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Intelligent debate is vastly overrated. It's much better to call those with whom you disagree names, and then subsequently argue that you never in fact called them names. This requires little or no knowledge of facts, and practically no prior experience in formulating coherent arguments (or sentences, for that matter.)

It's the 21st Century. Get with the program.
I would LOVE to see Coulter try to debate with someone who actually knows what they're talking about like Dinesh D'Souza or Michelle Malkin.
Old 03-07-07, 11:15 AM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts
I would LOVE to see Coulter try to debate with someone who actually knows what they're talking about like Dinesh D'Souza or Michelle Malkin.
I believe there would be a lot of yelling down of the opponent, mostly on Coulter's side.
Old 03-07-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Michelle Malkin? She's nearly as bad as Coulter.
Old 03-07-07, 11:26 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
It seems to me that Ann Coulter and Maureen ("Hillzilla" / "Barack Obambi") Dowd emulate eachother in their counterproductiveness.
Old 03-07-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Malkin on Coulter:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/006981.htm

Enter Ann Coulter.

Her "faggot" joke was not just a distraction from all the good that was highlighted and represented at the conference. It was the equivalent of a rhetorical fragging--an intentionally-tossed verbal grenade that exploded in her own fellow ideological soldiers' tent.

There are countless conservatives who bring their children to CPAC. It's a family-friendly event. I brought mine last year and the year before. I met several parents with their kids there this year. We expect CPAC to be a place where conservative role models speak with clarity, passion, and integrity. There are enough spewers of mindless filth, vulgarity, and hatred on TV, at the movies, and in the public schools. We don't expect our children to be exposed to that garbage at the nation's preeminent conservative gathering.

I was in the back of the ballroom and did not see any children in the audience during Coulter's speech. But what if there had been?

Would you want your children hearing the word "faggot" spoken in such a casual and senseless manner? Would you like your first-grader or three-year-old running around the halls of CPAC singing "faggot, faggot, faggot?" Not me. Not anymore than I'd like my toddler singing "gook, gook, gook" or "sambo, sambo, sambo"--favored epithets hurled at conservative minorities by leftist haters groping around in their empty intellectual quivers. There were hundreds of young conservative college students in the ballroom. Would you be proud of your college-age daughter spewing such epithets in her campus debates with leftists?

With a single word, Coulter sullied the hard work of hundreds of CPAC participants and exhibitors and tarred the collective reputation of thousands of CPAC attendees. At a reception for college students held by the Young America's Foundation, I lambasted the substitution of stupid slurs for persuasion-- be it "faggot" from a conservative or "gook" from a liberal--and urged the young people there to conduct themselves at all times with dignity in their ideological battles on and off campus.

I made something else explicitly clear: Not all of us treat the communication of conservative ideals and ideas as 24/7 performance art. You can and should use humor to convey your message. You can enlighten and entertain--without becoming a tired old schtick. You can joke without becoming the joke.
Old 03-07-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Michelle Malkin? She's nearly as bad as Coulter.
I wouldn't go that far.
Old 03-07-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is as long as a Moore or Sheehan thread!

I seem to remember some criticism from the left on that matter...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.