Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Ann Coulter refers to John Edwards as a "******"; Dean & Dems Angry.

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Ann Coulter refers to John Edwards as a "******"; Dean & Dems Angry.

Old 03-06-07, 01:15 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
a '***' is a cigarette in England

... and btw Ann Coulter is a **** (c--t)
Hey, cute is spelled c-u-t-e.

Old 03-06-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
a '***' is a cigarette in England

... and btw Ann Coulter is a stupid **** (c--t)
She's a cult? That makes no sense.

Actually, judging by the way people are straining to justify what she said, maybe you're on to something.
Old 03-06-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Somehow I doubt that anybody who refers to them as "homos" spends a lot of time in a gay bar.

Old 03-06-07, 01:32 PM
Banned

Somehow I doubt that anybody who refers to them as "homos" spends a lot of time in a gay bar.
Old 03-06-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're right. I don't spend "a lot" of time in gay bars. I've spent SOME time in a couple gay bars. A friend of a friend got into a fight at one over the word.

Should I fix my post to read "homosexuals" rather than "homos"?
Old 03-06-07, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
You're right. I don't spend "a lot" of time in gay bars. I've spent SOME time in a couple gay bars. A friend of a friend got into a fight at one over the word.

If you gave a shit in the first place...which you clearly didn't, you wouldn't have used it.

Doesn't matter now. And I don't buy any bullshit about rehab.
Old 03-06-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
If you gave a shit in the first place...which you clearly didn't, you wouldn't have used it.

Doesn't matter now. And I don't buy any bullshit about rehab.
No. The word "homo" doesn't have as much of a negative connotation to me as it does to others. It's just a word I use to describe people who like members of the same sex. I call (some of) my homosexual friends "homo" all the time. Sorry if it offends you. You don't know me. It has absolutely no negative meaning to me. Sorry if it read that way. It's just a word.

I live in CA. Gay (as in homosexual, not "festive" or "cheerful") people are all over the place here. That's a good thing. More chicks for me.

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 03-06-07 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added smiley face
Old 03-06-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 821 Likes on 553 Posts
Al Rantel on KABC Los Angeles has Ann on regularly and he's trying to get her on tonight(Tuesday 3/6). If you don't live in LA I'm sure you can listen online and I bet it'll be interesting since Al's openly gay. Monday night I heard him defending her a bit as he touched on the controversy.

http://www.alrantel.com/
http://www.kabc.com/sectional.asp?id=12389
Old 03-06-07, 01:54 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
No, but as long as your offering to fix things perhaps you can remove the misquote of Churchill from your sig.
Old 03-06-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that's good stuff
Old 03-06-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, but as long as your offering to fix things perhaps you can remove the misquote of Churchill from your sig.
Well it's been attributed to him, so I'm keeping it that way. Maybe I will... I'll take the credit for that truth.
Old 03-06-07, 02:04 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
"Please don't link to adult talk from the main forums." -- attributed to Groucho
Old 03-06-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No. The word "homo" doesn't have as much of a negative connotation to me as it does to others. It's just a word I use to describe people who like members of the same sex. I call (some of) my homosexual friends "homo" all the time. Sorry if it offends you. You don't know me. It has absolutely no negative meaning to me. Sorry if it read that way. It's just a word.
You do understand, though, that it doesn't matter if the word personally offends you, right? That's sort of the whole point.

I mean, if you want to argue that you should be able to use an offensive word, that's fine, but don't be disingenious and pretend that it's "just a word".
Old 03-06-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
You do understand, though, that it doesn't matter if the word personally offends you, right? That's sort of the whole point.
Yes. Which is why I didn't use the word "faggot". I used "homo".
Old 03-06-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still want to know what Coulter's point was. What political point was she trying to make about Edwards? My liberal brain doesn't get it!
Old 03-06-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes. Which is why I didn't use the word "faggot". I used "homo".
Do you write jokes for Ann Coulter?
Old 03-06-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114
I still want to know what Coulter's point was. What political point was she trying to make about Edwards? My liberal brain doesn't get it!

I assumed it was because he has a soft, southern voice and is, fairly, good-looking. Had she used Barney Frank, instead, then it might have gotten more laughs.
Old 03-06-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't stay to watch the talking heads, but flipping around I saw a ticker headline on MSNBC that said something like "Coulter says she meant Edwards was 'a wussy'".
Old 03-06-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 821 Likes on 553 Posts
She shoulda just called him a "Weak ass bitch".
Old 03-06-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I highly doubt a personal injury attorney as successful as Edwards got there being a pussy.
Old 03-06-07, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Do you write jokes for Ann Coulter?
The only similarity is that they're both unfunny and offensive.
Old 03-06-07, 04:00 PM

I dislike Edwards, but my hatred runs deep for Mann Coulter. Will THIS latest incident FINALLY cost her a career and a following built on horny dittoheads and crazy jingoists?
Old 03-06-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 290 Likes on 206 Posts
"Please don't link to adult talk from the main forums." -- attributed to Groucho
I wasn't aware of the rule. I deleted my post, but taken from that, the gyst of what I was trying to say is that, unlike Coulter, most sane people are not so threatened by others who disagree with them that they need to reduce them to cartoons to vilify, or hateful misrepresentations like this thing with Edwards. There are people I disagree with that I respect quite a lot. Her shtick is calling anyone who disagrees with you to be shot for treason.

Bcause, really, she's just an entertainer. Itís a complicated world. If you can ease peopleís confusion by presenting a preposterously oversimplified worldview where one side is all good and the other all evil, great for you. People donít make the New York Times bestseller list writing considered, balanced analysis. People want an uncomplicated reality. Thereís a nice living to be made in providing it to them. And getting upset at it just draws undue attention to it, because she's really not unlike some stand-up comedian whose sole purpose is to offend one group and affirm another.
Old 03-06-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh no. The joke went completely over your head.

The joke was that IF she used the word, that she would have to check into rehab (like someone else who used that word), because that's how politically correct the world is these days. The joke had nothing to do with "faggots".
Its about time someone else sees the joke as what it was. Funny how quickly Isiah Washington escapes peoples memory when they have a chance to nail Ann Coulter to a cross.

I can't understand how so many people riding on their high horses still had a joke fly right over their head. The I'd (fill in the blank) but (fill in the consequence) joke is probably hundreds of years old.

A statement containing the f-word doesn't automatically make it some horrible bigoted statement. If so I guess everyone that has been repeating it in the forum is a bigot. If someone tells a joke about Ann Coulter that talks about her mannish face, or calls her a whore, etc does that mean they are sexist? Say I tell a joke about the n-word only being acceptable in rap videos, it contains the term, but its not about the word its about how its used, how its accepted and condemned at the same time. It doesnt mean Im going to be at the next KKK meeting.
Old 03-06-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
A statement containing the f-word doesn't automatically make it some horrible bigoted statement.
A person's choice of words says something about their character, don't you think?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.