Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Ann Coulter refers to John Edwards as a "******"; Dean & Dems Angry.

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Ann Coulter refers to John Edwards as a "******"; Dean & Dems Angry.

Old 03-07-07, 11:32 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
So, Malkin's point seems to be that Coulter should have saved the joke for the 10pm "blue" show.
Old 03-07-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
I think you have it backwards. It was an attack on John Edwards first (as if calling him gay was somehow funny) and just happened to be homophobic.
I agree. I don't want Edwards to win, but I would feel bad for him if he's forever remembered in people's mind as that "faggot" candidate.
Old 03-07-07, 11:33 AM

Received 161 Likes on 117 Posts
I think Malkin got straight to the point. Excellent writing.
Old 03-07-07, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
So, Malkin's point seems to be that Coulter should have saved the joke for the 10pm "blue" show.
I don't think that was Malkin's point at all. I read it as saying that her comment was inappropriate in and of itself, but that it was doubly inappropriate given the audience.
Old 03-07-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wendersfan
I think Malkin got straight to the point. Excellent writing.
Really? The "what about the children" part was some of the silliest arguments I've heard yet.
Old 03-07-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think that was Malkin's point at all. I read it as saying that her comment was inappropriate in and of itself, but that it was doubly inappropriate given the audience.
Uh, did you see who posted that?

Edit: I was referring not to myself but to Groucho whom you were answering.

I didn't think you could be Groucho'd after all these years.

Last edited by movielib; 03-07-07 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by movielib
Uh, did you see who posted that?
I always thought "Think of the children!" was your mantra.

BTW, I'm 43, married, and childfree, so I'm guessing we share a similar viewpoint on these matters.
Old 03-07-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I would love to know Mary Cheney's view on this situation. Coulter isn't stupid. She knew exactly what she was saying: a thinly veiled affront to homosexuals. I'm not surprised pals Hannity, et al. are supporting her.
Not everyone on the Right is supporting her. Well they're supporting her right to free speech, but they're calling her "our equivalent of Howard Dean". Ouch! That's got to hurt more than anything!

It's a bad analogy though, because Howard Dean is the head of the democratic party; Ann is just someone with an opinion.
Old 03-07-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Really? The "what about the children" part was some of the silliest arguments I've heard yet.
Old 03-07-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I always thought "Think of the children!" was your mantra.

BTW, I'm 43, married, and childfree, so I'm guessing we share a similar viewpoint on these matters.
See my edited Post #234.
Old 03-07-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Not everyone on the Right is supporting her. Well they're supporting her right to free speech, but they're calling her "our equivalent of Howard Dean". Ouch! That's got to hurt more than anything!

It's a bad analogy though, because Howard Dean is the head of the democratic party; Ann is just someone with an opinion.
It's a pretty idiotic analogy actually.

Give us one quote from Howard Dean that is comparable to calling someone a faggot or suggesting that we invade a country and convert it's citizens to Christianity.
Old 03-07-07, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Wouldn't suprise me if many of those who "hate faggots", go online and try to seduce 12-yr olds for sex.
I think I understand where you're going with this but...not really a good comparison (homosexuals to pedophiles).
Old 03-07-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts
<i>Mod note: Generalization removed</i>

Last edited by nemein; 03-07-07 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 01:11 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
Give us one quote from Howard Dean that is comparable to calling someone a faggot or suggesting that we invade a country and convert it's citizens to Christianity.
"All black Republicans are Uncle Toms. Let's round them up and put them in internment camps!" -- attributed to Howard Dean
Old 03-07-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why is it that these fantastic statements about one side of an issue always come from people on the other side? How about we wait for someone to actually state something before we attack a side for believing it? And then we can explore how well their view actually represents that side? This is why nothing productive ever comes of these discussions... people are so quick to assume the worst in anyone that disagrees with them that there can never be a middle ground.
Old 03-07-07, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Why is it that these fantastic statements about one side of an issue always come from people on the other side? How about we wait for someone to actually state something before we attack a side for believing it? And then we can explore how well their view actually represents that side? This is why nothing productive ever comes of these discussions... people are so quick to assume the worst in anyone that disagrees with them that there can never be a middle ground.
The word FAGGOT doesn't have a "grey area" with regards to interpretation.
Old 03-07-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
What are you talking about? Believing what? What middle ground is there when calling someone a faggot?
Old 03-07-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<i>Mod note: Quoted generalization and retort removed</i>

Last edited by nemein; 03-07-07 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 02:11 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

The best thing to cap it off would be Ann Coulter sending someone out to announce she's going into rehab.
Old 03-07-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bhk
The best thing to cap it off would be Ann Coulter sending someone out to announce she's going into rehab.
That would be so awesomely hilarious.
Old 03-07-07, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
That would indeed be wonderful.
Old 03-07-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I think you're going to extremes so you can excuse a stupid woman's behavior. You're using examples which don't fit this situation, and actually, sound like a few Right-wing blog responses.

The facts are, she was invited to a Republican event. She wouldn't have been asked to participate if she wasn't considered a representative of the Republican Party. If you can't see that, then well, I'm sorry, I guess most of us here just can't comprehend your logic.

Ann Coulter is an extremist, but you fail to realize the Republican Party has been using her mouthpiece for quite some time. Now, she fucked up.
you are still missing my point. I'm not even trying to defend Ann Coulter anymore. I'm defending my position that she doesnt represent all conservatives or Republicans. Again, NO ONE PERSON DEFINES A GROUP. Is that really hard to understand? Lets use this example...Howard Dean is the head of the DNC...do you want me to start posting news articles where Democrats flat out said 'Howard Dean doesn't speak for me?' NO ONE PERSON DEFINES A GROUP!!! She is obviously representative of a group within the conservative/republicans thats why she was invited to speak, but that doesnt mean she speaks for all the millions and millions of people out there that support the GOP. Thats clearly evident by the amount of right wing people that have condemned her. Even if she is a bigot and this whole fiasco was her letting her true feelings come out, its wrong for you or others in here to try to make the leap that everyone conservative/republican is a bigot. Ever heard of stereotyping? I thought liberals were supposed to be against that?

Theres millions and millions of conservatives out there and they have more mouthpieces than just Ann Coulter. I'm not a bigot and a lot of other regular conservative people arent bigots either. Theres a lot of people with R-and a states initials after it that arent bigots either. Lets see, if I was such a bigot as clearly all conservatives are since you believe Ann is why would I last year try to stop and fight off 3 guys that were harassing and then attacking my gay neighbor. I've got visual proof I'm not a bigot Why would I even have a gay neighbor if Im a bigot? Shouldn't I have just moved out of the neighborhood? Screw you, if you can't understand the point I'm trying to make.
Old 03-07-07, 03:39 PM
Admin

Received 348 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkster
No, no. All conservatives know that homosexuals, pedophiles, cross dressers and transgenders are the same thing: faggots.

Obviously I'm generalizing, but am I really far off?
mod warning - Yeah, you're far off and you're breaking forum rules. Keep the generalizations out of this forum.

Last edited by VinVega; 03-09-07 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
that's the bedrock of conservative moralism.
Old 03-07-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
The word FAGGOT doesn't have a "grey area" with regards to interpretation.
I was speaking with regard to his analysis of conservatives. I do not think it was a fair generalization by any means. As has been noted by the mods. If you revisit my previous posts in this thread, you will see that I am in no way defending the use of that word or calling it a grey area.

I find it equally as repulsive as the n-word and would never make use of it in any context whatsoever in my personal life.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people (not referring to you) so offended by terms describing appearance, behavior, or genetic make-up are quick to throw out judgments criticising character. I find the latter far more degrading. Say I have a funny nose, that's fine. Call me a bigot and you have gone way over the line. You best have good evidence to back that up on a personal level before assigning that label to a person. It's infuriating to me when it happens here when I take such care to post responsibly in threads of this nature and try to avoid the confusion that can often arise from message board communication.

Again, this post is not directed at you, digitalfreaknyc, I'm just responding to your post since you referenced my comment about generalizations.

To make a statement such as was made about conservatives, when I happen to be a fairly conservative poster on this board, was personally insulting. I'm not saying it doesn't happen on both sides. But in this case it was particularly ignorant and offensive, even though I believe it was somewhat off the cuff. And no, I didn't even report it to a mod so don't think it was me.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 03-07-07 at 05:18 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.