Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

'Why I Hate Blacks' column

Old 02-28-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

'Why I Hate Blacks' column

From CNN:
Asian-Americans condemn 'Why I Hate Blacks' column

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Asian-American leaders are calling on a weekly newspaper to apologize and cut ties with a writer who penned a column titled "Why I Hate Blacks."

In the piece, which appeared in the February 23 edition of San Francisco-based AsianWeek, contributor Kenneth Eng lists reasons why he supports discrimination against blacks, writing, among other things, "I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years."

An official at the nationally circulated paper apologized and called the column's publication a mistake.

Leaders at the Asian American Justice Center, Chinese for Affirmative Action, Coalition for Asian Pacific Americans and other groups are circulating a petition denouncing the piece as "irresponsible journalism, blatantly racist, replete with stereotypes, and deeply hurtful to African Americans."

The petition calls on AsianWeek to cut ties with Eng, issue an apology, print an editorial refuting the column, and fire or demote the editors who published it.

"Something like this should never have been printed," said Vincent Eng, deputy director of the Asian American Justice Center in Washington, who is not related to the columnist. "Deliberate action needs to be taken to make sure this type of hate speech doesn't continue."

AsianWeek, with a circulation of 48,505, issued a statement apologizing for "any harm or hurt this has caused the African American community."

The newspaper plans to hold a news conference with NAACP leaders in San Francisco on Wednesday to discuss how the Asian and black communities "can be different and yet get along and work together," said Ted Fang, the paper's editor at large.

"The newspaper is sorry that this got published, and I am personally sorry that this got published," Fang told The Associated Press. "The views in that opinion piece do not in any way reflect the views of AsianWeek."

The paper plans to review its policies to "understand how this happened and make sure it doesn't happen again," Fang said, calling the decision to publish Eng's piece a "mistake."

Fang's family publishes AsianWeek, along with a local newspaper called the Independent, and owned the San Francisco Examiner between 2000 and 2004. AsianWeek calls itself "The Voice of Asian America."

The column was among several written by Kenneth Eng, who has described himself as an "Asian Supremacist." Previous columns have been titled "Proof That Whites Inherently Hate Us" and "Why I Hate Asians."

A telephone listing for Eng could not be located.

Sophie Maxwell, one of the city's top black officials and a member of the city's board of supervisors, said she doesn't believe Eng's column will hurt relations between blacks and Asians in San Francisco. She has co-sponsored a city resolution condemning the article and AsianWeek's decision to publish it.

"This man clearly is very ignorant of African-American history and his own history, and he's very angry," said Maxwell, who represents a district with large black and Asian populations.
So okay... maybe the thread title is a little misleading.

Still, I may surprise you by saying I think the paper's apology and retraction was a mistake. I assume this article was published under the OpEd section of the AsianWeek newspaper -- if we called for a boycott every time that a columnist said something inflammatory or derogatory in the morning paper, half the columnists in America would be fired on the spot. The other half would become so bland, so vanilla, that they'd scarcely be worth reading.

And yeah... I'll go ahead and throw out the whole "reverse discrimination" thing for you. "Ooh, why didn't they renounce the writer when he penned a column called 'Why I Hate Asians?' Why didn't they fire him when he wrote articles impugning the motives of white Americans?" I think those are valid points, although there are obviously limits to what you can say or do under the guise of free speech. (The whole "crying fire in a crowded theater" thing comes to mind.)

Of course, then it begs the question... why did this newspaper run a column by a self-described "Asian supremacist" in the first place? No paper would ever run a column by a self-described "white supremacist"... would they? Should they? What do you think?
Old 02-28-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think an apology or retraction is a mistake at all. You can go over the line and this guy certainly did.
Old 02-28-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I don't think an apology or retraction is a mistake at all. You can go over the line and this guy certainly did.
Yes, but if you give a ride across the river to a scorpion, and the scorpion stings you... I mean, it's not like the paper endorses this guy's opinion.
Old 02-28-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the original article, BTW.

And here's his "Why I Hate Asians" article:

It seems like an odd title for an article written by an Asian Supremacist, but there are very good reasons why I hate many of my own kind.

The first thing I hate about Asians in America is how so many of them want to suck up to whites. I have had fistfights and verbal altercations with many who discriminated against me and my people. Sadly, however, the Asians who witness or hear about these battles often hate me for being "hypocritical," and tell me that "two wrongs don’t make a right." Do these sycophants think it’s "cool" to mindlessly side with whites and blacks? Is it not enough that we have to fight against discrimination? Now we have to fight amongst ourselves as well?

The second thing I hate about Asians is how little pride most of them have. This may be the result of societal brainwashing, but whatever the cause, it must stop. I am repulsed when I see Asian guys speak with British accents in an attempt to sound sophisticated. British people can’t be all that sophisticated if they don’t yet understand the concept of dental hygiene. I am also sickened when I hear Asian people imitate Negro slang in an endeavor to sound "ghetto." Am I supposed to be impressed that such a person emulates the attitude of a supposed slum resident? More importantly, whatever happened to being yourself?

The third thing I hate about Asians is how apathetic many of them are in terms of honor these days. If I saw an Asian being stereotyped in a movie theater, I would immediately stand up and shout incessantly at the screen so that none of the white audience members could enjoy the film. When I saw a white man yelling at an old Asian woman a few months ago, I walked up to him and hollered slurs right back in his Aryan face. But most other Asians, I am disappointed to say, would rather just chuckle at their own stereotypes on screen and ignore the problems of their brethren. At the risk of sounding corny, whatever happened to the days of the samurai? When honor meant more than life? Whatever happened to the age of Sun Tzu when we used to kick ass?

Don’t get me wrong. I love the Asian race, but every race has its inferiors.
This guy seems to be more than a little off his rocker...
Old 02-28-07, 08:30 AM

It's so weird to see naked, unvarnished bigotry like that these days.
Old 02-28-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"God of the Universe"?

Nothing like a little egomania to go with your racism.
Old 02-28-07, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jason
"God of the Universe"?

Nothing like a little egomania to go with your racism.
Is that a G... looks more like "Cod of the Universe" to me
Old 02-28-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think it's supposed to be a "humor" article. Why else would he call himself "God of the Universe"?
Old 02-28-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
I think it's supposed to be a "humor" article. Why else would he call himself "God of the Universe"?
No, I don't think so. Check out some of his other "articles":

http://news.asianweek.com/news/view_...ategory_id=172

Old 02-28-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

no tickee, no homie.
Old 02-28-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just disgusting.
Old 02-28-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Just disgusting.
Sure. Yes. Absolutely. The guy is a nutcase, and his views are patently offensive. But does that mean that he should be prevented from airing them?

Obviously, every media outlet is a private enterprise, and they all have to make their own judgement calls when it comes to content... but if a newspaper or a TV show clearly states that the opinions and views expressed are those of the columnists, and not the paper or the network... could there be a place where we tolerate... well, intolerance? If only to gain an understanding?

This forum is a good case in point. Say we have a member here who is an out-and-out racist. (I know, I know, it's fanciful, but bear with me.) As long as this member otherwise follows forum rules (doesn't troll, doesn't flame or bait other posters)... should we hit them with the ban stick just because we consider their opinions reprehensible?
Old 02-28-07, 10:32 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

It's sort of sad, really. If he hadn't went overboard into sheer racist teritory, his first bulleted point might actually be a source for a decent debate. I do think he's correct in the point that there is a level of mockery that is hurled at Asians in the media, particularly by blacks, that would never be accepted if it were directed at African-Americans.

Seriously, look at Norbit... Eddie Murphy is in makeup as a completely stereotypical Asian man in that film. But if a nonblack actor appeared in black makeup and did an impersonation of a black man that relied on racial caricature and stereotypes, there would be hell to pay. In the very least that may have been an interesting topic for debate... Too bad that point gets lost by the author's overall bigotry.
Old 02-28-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Sure. Yes. Absolutely. The guy is a nutcase, and his views are patently offensive. But does that mean that he should be prevented from airing them?

Obviously, every media outlet is a private enterprise, and they all have to make their own judgement calls when it comes to content... but if a newspaper or a TV show clearly states that the opinions and views expressed are those of the columnists, and not the paper or the network... could there be a place where we tolerate... well, intolerance? If only to gain an understanding?

This forum is a good case in point. Say we have a member here who is an out-and-out racist. (I know, I know, it's fanciful, but bear with me.) As long as this member otherwise follows forum rules (doesn't troll, doesn't flame or bait other posters)... should we hit them with the ban stick just because we consider their opinions reprehensible?
I'm not the person to answer your extremely reasonable and valid questions. I live barely an hour from Topeka, home of "The Reverend" Fred Phelps.
Old 02-28-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I tend to think I want to know who the bigots are, but I'm not sure.
Old 02-28-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

What the hell kind of liberal are you, anyway?

Non-Blacks cannot say negative things about Blacks. Even Blacks should be careful about it. That's the world that has been created with over the top PC crap. Now it is here, get use to it.

And I don't have a problem with a retraction, etc. It would be quite possible for a SF based newspaper to have an opinion piece written by NAMBLA. I don't mind shutting some people out of the public forum. They can stand on a corner and hand out their pamphlets, but there is nothing wrong with no one else giving them a forum. They can find their own, by themselves.
Old 02-28-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you would find any user expressing opinions like this would be banned shortly. It's not about infringing the individuals right of expression, but the publisher's desire to advance such a view point. Even if the publisher decides to publish material the don't agree with, they still have to make the judgment of whether the material merits dissemination.

PS. Thanks for finding the actual articles. Here's the one on whitey, which goes beyond his usual racism and supports the use of violence:

Proof That Whites Inherently Hate Us
Kenneth Eng, Nov 24, 2006

White people hate us and will always hate us. Here is a simple list of evidence, going from the most obvious down to the least obvious:

1. How many American films feature Asian heroes who are not stereotyped?
2. If someone makes a negative comment about a black person, all of the whites get hopping mad. Make a negative comment about the Asian race and nobody cares.
3. Most Asians know that everywhere we go, white/black/Hispanic people hurl racist remarks at us. I have already received about 10 racist remarks in the past three months and I have only been out of my home a handful of times.
4. In 1982, Vincent Chin was killed by two white people, Michael Nitz and Ronald Ebens. Both murderers went free, as the judge claimed that they were not the type of people who deserved to be in prison.
5. Chai Vang righteously killed six white people after they approached him with guns first. Unlike the “men” who murdered Vincent Chin, brave Mr. Vang was sentenced to life.
6. Asian civil rights activities receive virtually no media attention. Yet Rosa Parks was pretty much honored as a hero just because she refused to give up her seat. This is curious because Vincent Chin died to defend his race. Why hasn’t he been given an award?It is quite naïve to think that all of this can be explained by claiming that whites are not “enlightened” or that whites lack awareness of our issues. It is even more immature to think that things will get better if only we continue to protest peacefully through lame marches and letters to the producers of (insert any American TV show here). Animals, through evolution, are intrinsically developed to detest organisms that are different; the obvious reason being that conformity to a certain level increases the chances of a species’ survival. Since humans are part of the animal kingdom, it should be no surprise that whites have evolved to hate Asians, who have a strikingly different appearance than them.

Furthermore, we do live in an age where “political correctness” and anti-racism are in vogue. Why then, are there virtually no Asian heroes in the media? This is solid proof that we are enemies in the eyes of the Aryans. If even in an epoch where equality is an important matter they still do not treat us as equals, then what hope is there that they will ever treat us equally?

More importantly, why should we care? We vastly outnumber them. When you have a disobedient child, you do not give him gifts to make him abide to your will. You show him the cane.
EDIT: For those who don't recall the "brave Mr. Vang" shot most of his victims multiple times in the back as they ran away.

Last edited by wmansir; 02-28-07 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-28-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was scratching my head about who this Chai Vang person was... and then I hit Wikipedia.

Also -- Wikipedia article on Vincent Chin.
Old 02-28-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup. (Not in response to your last question, but to the overall sentiment of your post.)
Old 02-28-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

hah, and mojo. Do you support hate crime legislation?

It seems inconsistent to me to think that one can feel free to have ignorant thoughts, but need extra punishment if crimes are commited based on them.
Old 02-28-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I tend to think I want to know who the bigots are, but I'm not sure.
We are all racist in some form and another, some are just more vocal and likely to act on it than others.
Old 02-28-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should at least let the writer finish his "Why I Hate Hispanics" article to round out the series

Really, how could the editors be so stupid to not see trouble coming? You'd have to be completely ignorant not to know how people would react to that (did they miss the recent Michael Richards story). Free speech or not ... be involved with a "Why I Hate Blacks" article will get you reprimanded (at best) or fired.
Old 02-28-07, 01:33 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Come take a visit to the Asian Casino I work at, oh this article hits dead on with the majority of the people coming through that place.
Old 02-28-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Why are you laughing at me? That seems cruel and unnecessary.

Or are you laughing at hate crime legisation, you insensitive bastard???
Old 02-28-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave

It seems inconsistent to me to think that one can feel free to have ignorant thoughts, but need extra punishment if crimes are commited based on them.
We punish people based on their motive all the time. Hitmen, for example, generally get punished more harshly than other murderers. Does that mean that we think it's generally wrong to accept money for services? Of course not. It means we think that the particular motive for that crime made it more deserving of punishment than it would otherwise be.

Likewise, if I break into my local pharmacy to steal some cancer medicine for my ailing and poverty-stricken grandmother, I will almost certainly get a significantly lighter sentence than if I break into my local pharmacy to steal some codeine to support my drug habit. Again -- same crime, different motive, different sentence.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.