Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Airport security scanner can see through clothes

Old 02-23-07, 04:13 PM

Airport security scanner can see through clothes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070223/..._ray_screening

By TERRY TANG, Associated Press Writer
28 minutes ago

PHOENIX - The Phoenix airport on Friday became the first in the United States to test new X-ray technology that can see through people's clothes and show the body's contours with blush-inducing clarity.

A TSA officer looks over the image taken from an X-ray security scanner in a demonstration of the device at Sky Harbor International Airport, Friday, Feb. 23, 2007, in Phoenix, Ariz. The scanner that can see through clothing was scheduled to be put into its first operational use later Friday there and could be rolled out to two other major airports by year's end. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Critics have said the high-resolution images created by the "backscatter" technology are too invasive. But the Transportation Security Administration adjusted the equipment so the pictures can be blurred in certain areas while still detecting concealed weapons.

During the testing, the machine will be used only as a back-up screening measure. Passengers who fail the standard screening with a metal detector will be able to choose between the new device or a pat-down search.

"It's 100 percent voluntary, so if the passenger doesn't feel comfortable with it, the passenger doesn't have to go through it," TSA spokesman Nico Melendez said.

Passengers selected for screening by the device are asked to stand in front of the closet-size X-ray unit with the palms of their hands facing out. Then they must turn around for a second screening from behind. The procedure takes about a minute.

Passenger Kristen Rodgers, 22, of Little Rock, Ark., who did not go through the screening, likened it to going to the doctor.

"If you tell yourself they have to look at that all day long, it makes yourself feel better," Rodgers said. "If it's just for security, just for 45 seconds, I think it would be worth catching somebody with something harmful."

The machine will be tested for up to 90 days at a single checkpoint at Sky Harbor's largest terminal, which hosts US Airways and Southwest Airlines, the two busiest airlines in Phoenix.

The technology could be left in place after the trial period, and the TSA hopes to roll out similar machines at the Los Angeles airport and New York's Kennedy Airport by the end of the year.

The security officer who works with the passenger going through the screening will never see the images the machine produces. The pictures will be viewed by another officer about 50 feet away who will not see the passenger, the TSA said.

The machine cannot store the images or transmit them.

"Once we're done screening the passenger, the image is gone forever," Melendez said.

The device at Sky Harbor costs about $100,000 but is on loan from the manufacturer, AS&E of Boston, Melendez said.

I think this is very reasonable. It's only for people who fail the metal detector and is completely voluntary.

Oh and does anyone have $100k I could borrow? I know a certain college that could use one of these!

Oh wait a minute, after looking at that photo, forget it.

Chris
Old 02-23-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Won't store the images or transmit them?

WTFever.

I guarantee that this will be mandatory in less than 5 years time. Thank you for flying, citizen.
Old 02-23-07, 05:36 PM

Just one step closer to the machine in Total Recall

BTW if the machine doesn't transmit the image how does it get to the monitoring person who is 50ft away
Old 02-23-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Somebody doesn't look endowed at all in that picture. Then again, I have to cut some slack - shrinkage is likely to happen when the MAN wants to scan you.
Old 02-23-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think a lot of people will be embarrased to go through this thing
Old 02-23-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Since most women in Oregon and Washington don't shave, the scans would be like viewing a Sasquatch. In California, it would be like viewing a peach.
Old 02-23-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, if they're blurring out my penis -- they're blocking out the most devastating weapon of all.

Old 02-23-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Hey, if they're blurring out my penis -- they're blocking out the most devastating weapon of all.

Do you have to carry a concealed weapons permit for that?
Old 02-23-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bwvanh114

Do you have to carry a concealed weapons permit for that?
Let's put it this way -- the airlines make me buy two seats.
Old 02-23-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All superheroes are cursed with a downside.
Old 02-23-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

NCMojo, you got me excited. Most men can't affect me this way. Congratulations.
Old 02-23-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

His ass may be in economy but his weapon is first class.
Old 02-24-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Wow. Homeland Security is only 4 years behind the military now. Funny how we never heard these complaints from people coming onto our base in Baghdad. -- though actually those images and the ones I've seen on CNN are pretty low-res compared to what we used.
Old 02-24-07, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That pic doesn't look real. Aren't these images supposed to be in enhanced negative colors?
Old 02-24-07, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Since most women in Oregon and Washington don't shave, the scans would be like viewing a Sasquatch. In California, it would be like viewing a peach.
I knew there was a reason I was living in California!

Chris
Old 02-24-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Wow. Homeland Security is only 4 years behind the military now. Funny how we never heard these complaints from people coming onto our base in Baghdad. -- though actually those images and the ones I've seen on CNN are pretty low-res compared to what we used.
I don't "get" your post at all. Of course there will be a different standard of acceptability for something like this in military situations, in a war zone.
Old 02-25-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

There's been alot about this on the local news, as this is the first in the pilot program. To be fair, the pictures before where far more revealing.

Old 02-25-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is news becuase?

This has been the case ever since Airplane II
Old 02-25-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone who would be bothered by the "invasion of privacy" of this device is way too self-absorbed. Given the physical condition of the general public, I imagine the operator spends way more time trying not to throw up than they do getting aroused.
Old 02-25-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can see a lot of requests for a transfer to LAX from DET, for example.
Old 02-25-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Anyone who would be bothered by the "invasion of privacy" of this device is way too self-absorbed. Given the physical condition of the general public, I imagine the operator spends way more time trying not to throw up than they do getting aroused.
Evidently you don't hang out with NCMojo.
Old 02-25-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

100k?!? Shit, I've been able to do this since the 60's for only a dollar.