Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

(R) Vicki Berger (OR): Add Deposit Fees To Bottled Water

Old 02-22-07, 09:19 PM
Suspended

(R) Vicki Berger (OR): Add Deposit Fees To Bottled Water

http://www.leg.state.or.us/berger/

Yeah, what a WONDERFUL idea. Vicki wants to expand the current deposit bill of Oregon to cover bottled water and juice bottles.

She's nuts. I'd buy my all my juice and water in another state to avoid the stupid deposit. Not to mention, it's already a pain in the ass to get some money back for a few cans anyway because guess what...we have street life using the machines about 99% of the time...who amazingly manage to fill the entire machine so when someone like me with 30 or 50 cans comes along...I have to wait for the damn machine to be emptied!

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-22-07 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did she escape from California? That sounds more like the kind of crap the Dems here would do.
Old 02-23-07, 12:55 AM
Suspended

Oh she's homegrown. Oregon has so many stupid laws like this, in addition to politicians here in general being anti-vehicle ownership. You have to be so green, your anus residue could substitute for a Key Lime Pie filling. These politicians waste taxpayer dollars so much on non-vehicle alternatives and insane recycling, it's ridiculous. But it's nothing new. I just had to rant for a few minutes. We are constantly hearing about lack of school funding and yet all I see around me, are insane laws being enacted which cost the taxpayer tens of millions of dollars with very little outcome. The only reason laws like this are created is so Oregon can be on the list of "most green city" or "longest bicycle roads" in national spotlight magazines. Meanwhile, most bicyclers know the way the city paves the lanes is outright dangerous and very little planning which pits drivers and bicyclists fighting for road space because the roads in Portland were not built wide in the first place.

Portland goes to great lengths to advertise they have such a great city, but once you live here for a while, you'll come to realize you were scammed.
Old 02-23-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Hell, they charge sales tax on bottled water in WA even though it is a non-carbonated food item, so I think it makes sense.
Old 02-23-07, 08:07 PM
Suspended

Well, for purposes of making this thread longer than four posts, why would you want something like this. It's retarded. Doesn't make sense. It's more expensive to have the program. The major problem is the grocery chains who don't care how inconvenient it is to redeem your deposit, and they more than likely want it this way because it means more employees will be needed. I can't disagree with them on this. It's just inconvenient at every angle I look at it.
Old 02-23-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I agree, but if you already have the system and law of charging a deposit, I don't think adding bottled water is a big deal.
Old 02-23-07, 08:16 PM
Suspended

But think for a moment how many trips to the store you will need to take. How much more time will be necessary to redeem the extra bottles. How many more transients will be lining up at these grocery stores. How quickly will the machines be full and an employee will need to be paged to clean it out. The list goes on. It's just inconvenient for the average consumer. Sure, it's easy to just "amend" an already present law, but that's just legal convenience. Which has nothing to do with reality.

I guarantee each grocery store who sells their own bottled water, will now mandate you have to take their own bottles to their own stores--like they do with soda cans. So that will be nice. Not.
Old 02-23-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What is the purpose of bottle deposits?
Old 02-23-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
But think for a moment how many trips to the store you will need to take. How much more time will be necessary to redeem the extra bottles.
Do you actually redeem the bottles? I just throw them out. I mean, I can take the dollar hit per week.
Old 02-23-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
What is the purpose of bottle deposits?
Avoiding litter.

I remember a time when everything was glass and had a deposit. Milk, beer, pop. I actually remember taking empty glass milk bottles back. As a kid we would walk around collecting pop bottles and cash them in for the deposits. Nobody threw them away. Stacks of cases of pop and beer bottles were a commom sight in everyone's basement and garage. A case of Coke or Pepsi was actually made of wood. You couldn't survive without a bottle opener. The pop machines out on the street had bottles stacked vertically. You insert the 10 cents, open a door, grab the bottle by the neck and yank it out. Feel bad about it now, but we would go up to pop machines with an opener and pop the tops off all the bottles in the front of the queue.
Also remember that Mountain Dew bottles had a hillbilly on them and each bottle would say "Bottled by Jed and Clem" or "Bottled by Jethro and Bubba", etc. There were dozens of variations and knew a guy who collected them.
Old 02-23-07, 08:45 PM
Suspended

Well, I redeem my soda cans about once every 3 months. I end up with about $10. $15 during summer months. True, it's not much, but I don't like the fact a Green Government is charging me money to enable a program to recycle cans, but as time goes on, the places to recycle those cans are getting filthier due to people who are filthy, as well as taking longer to recycle those cans. It's becoming a nuisance to recycle, and I want my fucking money without having it end up taking much longer than it should, thanks.

Oregon's government is simply looking for a way to get more tax money while not reciprocating the collected money towards what they promised. Hell, Oregonians could give their entire paychecks to the state and still we'd have schools begging for money, and roads unpaved, etc. It may be only $10 or so, but at what point would it matter for you? $100? $200? The amount shouldn't matter, really. It's just the principle of what the state is promising, but yet has a history of delivering sub-standard results.

It's the small dollar amounts that you as a consumer and taxpayer don't pay attention to, which eventually add up.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-23-07 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-23-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it is a deposit you should only have to pay it once. Ex: buy six pack at store and next time you buy six pack give them six empties and you shouldn't be charged a deposit. The law should specify that all business that sell the product have to redeem empties. It should be a law imposed on the manufacturers and retailers requiring them to charge a deposit to consumers, crediting consumers for returns, and having the distributors credit the retailers. The store would turn their empties over to the water/pop/beer delivery person who picks them up when he makes deliveries and then the manufacturer is responsible for recycling them. If I'm driving through Oregon and find an empty bottle in a gas station parking lot I should be able to go in a buy a new bottle and not be charged a deposit with exchange of the empty.
If it works any other way it's not a deposit program.
Old 02-23-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
considering I think buying bottled water is ridiculous to begin with, I don't really care if they add a deposit, and in light of pop bottles having a deposit it makes sense
Old 02-24-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
considering I think buying bottled water is ridiculous to begin with...
I dare you to come here and drink the tap water.
Old 02-24-07, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mikehunt
considering I think buying bottled water is ridiculous to begin with

Amen. I can think of a lot more egregious actions of big government than this.
Old 02-24-07, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Well, I redeem my soda cans about once every 3 months. I end up with about $10. $15 during summer months. True, it's not much, but I don't like the fact a Green Government is charging me money to enable a program to recycle cans, but as time goes on, the places to recycle those cans are getting filthier due to people who are filthy, as well as taking longer to recycle those cans. It's becoming a nuisance to recycle, and I want my fucking money without having it end up taking much longer than it should, thanks.

Oregon's government is simply looking for a way to get more tax money while not reciprocating the collected money towards what they promised. Hell, Oregonians could give their entire paychecks to the state and still we'd have schools begging for money, and roads unpaved, etc. It may be only $10 or so, but at what point would it matter for you? $100? $200? The amount shouldn't matter, really. It's just the principle of what the state is promising, but yet has a history of delivering sub-standard results.

It's the small dollar amounts that you as a consumer and taxpayer don't pay attention to, which eventually add up.
I feel like just sending you $45 a year to make your life easier.

I actually buy most of my stuff in WA, and then a guy collects them and takes the to OR. Take that, you bastards. We're stealing your money.
Old 02-24-07, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kvrdave

It's good to see a policeman bitching about the MAN for once, even something as trivial as this.
Old 02-24-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bottle deposits make people internalize the cost of litering. I think they are a good thing.
Old 02-24-07, 09:09 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kvrdave

I actually buy most of my stuff in WA, and then a guy collects them and takes the to OR. Take that, you bastards. We're stealing your money.

Well thanks for the offer, but I should be ok. I've just become more watchful of where my money goes over the years. I'm saving up for a Canon 1D Mark III, so NOW can you understand?
Old 02-24-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Do you actually redeem the bottles? I just throw them out. I mean, I can take the dollar hit per week.
We can't throw them out. There is a $500 fine for putting in your trash. We either have to litter or recycle. (We have to save our landfills for CANADIAN trash.)
Old 02-24-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldDude
We can't throw them out. There is a $500 fine for putting in your trash. We either have to litter or recycle. (We have to save our landfills for CANADIAN trash.)
We have mandatory recycling in NYC as well. I still think of it as throwing them out.