Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

British Troops Withdrawing

Old 02-21-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

British Troops Withdrawing

Now I'm sure this issue will be taken by liberals and the anti war movement and twisted into a negative. Those supporting the war will try to downplay it as a response, but look at it objectively if you can.

Isn't this what we all want?

First of all, this isnt really news. They have been withdrawing troops for awhile. As Basra, the area they patrol, got safer and safer they needed less troops.

Second of all, isn't this this goal? When the Iraqis can police themselves foreigners don't have to anymore. Basra is pretty much contained and the Iraqi troops and police are strong enough to take over there.

Isn't this what is supposed to happen. Isn't this the goal for Baghdad and the rest of the country?

So why is the news of this being portrayed so badly?
Old 02-21-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
Now I'm sure this issue will be taken by liberals and the anti war movement and twisted into a negative. Those supporting the war will try to downplay it as a response, but look at it objectively if you can.

First of all, this isnt really news. They have been withdrawing troops for awhile. As Basra, the area they patrol, got safer and safer they needed less troops.

Second of all, isn't this this goal? When the Iraqis can police themselves foreigners don't have to anymore. Basra is pretty much contained and the Iraqi troops and police are strong enough to take over there.

Isn't this what is supposed to happen. Isn't this the goal for Baghdad and the rest of the country?

Huh? Where?

So now you're trying to turn a withdrawal into a sign of victory.
Old 02-21-07, 08:17 PM
Banned

Guess the terrorists won.
Old 02-21-07, 08:33 PM

Wait you mean both sides are going to spin this news to their advantage... I'm shocked I tell you
Old 02-21-07, 08:41 PM
Suspended

"Salam al-Maliki, a senior official in the bloc loyal to radical young cleric Moqtada al-Sadr which has long opposed a foreign presence in Iraq, said any violence in the city would cease once the foreign troops have left.

"The militias and militant groups in these areas only fired their weapons at the occupier and when they go, all of the violence here will end," he said."

Taken from:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/KHA142013.htm

(who apparently took the story from Reuters)

Soooo, maybe we should follow Tony's lead.

Also, if the war is going so well, why are more than 2 million Iraqis fleeing the shitzone into other countries. Now other countries are getting overburdened and this will start even more civil unrests and violence.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-21-07 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maliki is such a pig, I really don't think things would get any worse if some other insurgents overhrew him. Hell, things would be BETTER if that happened.

As for Tony, I'd be curious what the reception was this week for his questionings - it's tonight, I think.

But all it shows is the reality that there never was a real coalition.
Old 02-21-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Everything is going so smoothly in Iraq that the British felt there was no longer any need for those troops.

I believe that you'll see, any day now, the Bush administration announcing a large troop withdrawal, because it's apparent that victory is very near in Iraq.

The Maliki government has stepped up to the plate and are now providing for the vast majority of their security.

Hmm! Hmm!
Old 02-21-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hahn
Huh? Where?

So now you're trying to turn a withdrawal into a sign of victory.
It is a sign of success when you withdraw for the reasons the British are. It's not a sign of success when you withdraw because you are retreating in defeat...or because some poll says you should.

All I'm saying is the reasons for this...Basra being safer, Iraqis being able to patrol that area themselves, etc, etc. Aren't those the benchmarks that both the left and the right say are necessary for the troops to come home? It's just media spin that this is some horrible thing, that the coalition is falling apart, that everything is going to hell.
Old 02-21-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I'm saying is the reasons for this...Basra being safer, Iraqis being able to patrol that area themselves, etc, etc. Aren't those the benchmarks that both the left and the right say are necessary for the troops to come home? It's just media spin that this is some horrible thing, that the coalition is falling apart, that everything is going to hell.
So I take it you are also in favor of the US setting a timetable for troop withdrawal?

By the way, if Iraqis are now standing up so we that can stand down... are you also against the President's proposed troop surge?
Old 02-21-07, 09:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ranger
But all it shows is the reality that there never was a real coalition.
There never was a coalition because the Bush Administration forced everyone to participate in it. Now most countries are thinking on their own, and realize supporting the US in Iraq, isn't such a great idea.

Take a look what we're doing with Japan. The Secretary of Defense criticized the Bush Administration, and what do we do? We go to Japan and don't even meet the SOD (he was expected but the US changed their "plans" at the last moment). The US is being known as the tyrant nation where if you don't completely capitulate to what we want, you are not a friend and we will ignore you. That's childish. That's just retarded. That's not how a "global community" works.
Old 02-21-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Isn't that what Maliki did to Bush?

If Southern Iraq is so safe that the foreign troops aren't needed there anymore, why don't they redeploy to Baghdad and other places that do need them? Why don't the British shoulder more of the burden and help ease the U.S. if they believe in the war?
Old 02-21-07, 11:35 PM

Why don't the British shoulder more of the burden and help ease the U.S. if they believe in the war?
The answer to your question is answered in your question.
Old 02-22-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NCMojo
So I take it you are also in favor of the US setting a timetable for troop withdrawal?

By the way, if Iraqis are now standing up so we that can stand down... are you also against the President's proposed troop surge?
No, there shouldn't be a timetable. Baghdad isn't Basra. Its not safe enough and there arent enough ready Iraqi police and soldiers for Baghdad.

I'm not against the troop surge. Again, Baghdad isn't Basra. It needs to be pacified like the south has. Just because the Iraqis are standing up down there so the British can stand down, doesn't mean they are ready for the rest of the country
Old 02-22-07, 03:15 AM
Suspended

Some of you forget the possibility that rebel forces may have simply shifted their attention to Baghdad due to politics--not just combat strategy. Basra could easily become chaotic once again. The Brits know this, but they are using it in their favor and saying, "Yeah ok, everything's fine now. We're outta here." If I was them, I'd do the same.
Old 02-22-07, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Some of you forget the possibility that rebel forces may have simply shifted their attention to Baghdad due to politics--not just combat strategy. Basra could easily become chaotic once again. The Brits know this, but they are using it in their favor and saying, "Yeah ok, everything's fine now. We're outta here." If I was them, I'd do the same.
Thats why only some of the troops are leaving for good. The remaining soldiers are staying probably for the scenario you mentioned. But I think Basra is good to go. The violence that had the British there in the first place was mainly against foreign troops, and for the most part that has been squashed. Basra hasn't been plagued by the sectarian violence that has been going on in Baghdad. I don't know, maybe anyone in Basra that was interested in civil war just drove up to Baghdad
Old 02-22-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Prince Harry is to be deployed to Iraq.
Old 03-07-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is a sign of success when you withdraw for the reasons the British are. It's not a sign of success when you withdraw because you are retreating in defeat...or because some poll says you should.

Well, if these areas are safe, it's obvious the British know what they're doing. Why not help the US out in other areas instead of going home now? I'm sure they could take care of that pesky "one bombing a day" with no problem.
Old 03-07-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Well, if these areas are safe, it's obvious the British know what they're doing. Why not help the US out in other areas instead of going home now? I'm sure they could take care of that pesky "one bombing a day" with no problem.
this doesnt mean that the Brits no something we dont know or are better than our troops somehow. Basra is just a tad bit different than Baghdad you know
Old 03-07-07, 06:21 PM
Banned

this doesnt mean that the Brits no something we dont know or are better than our troops somehow. Basra is just a tad bit different than Baghdad you know
British forces in Basra and surrounding areas were employing tactics that were somewhat different from those of U.S. troops elsewhere.

Yesterday, British officers described the very different approach between UK and American soldiers by pointing to Uum Qasr, the Iraqi port south of Basra and the first urban area captured by US and UK marines. "Unlike the Americans, we took our helmets and sunglasses off and looked at the Iraqis eye to eye," said a British officer.

While British soldiers "get out on their feet", Americans, he said, were reluctant to leave their armoured vehicles. When they did do so - and this was the experience even in Uum Qasr - US marines were ordered to wear their full combat kit.

One difference emphasised yesterday by senior British military sources was the attitude towards "force protection". A defence source added: "The Americans put on more and more armour and firepower. The British go light and go on the ground." He made it plain what approach should be adopted towards what he called "frightened Iraqis".
That was 2003. Maybe Baghdad is just a different place, but then again, maybe the Brits were right. (They do have just a little more experience fighting insurgenies than the U.S. does...) British tactics certainly make sense. Aside from the whole "winning hearts and minds" thing, it just seems like a practical way to avoid ambush. If the locals like you they might just tell you about that IED they saw insurgents planting up the road. Also, if you're on foot and talking to people instead of just blowing by in a humvee they'll actually be *able* to tell you.

Last edited by Nutter; 03-07-07 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes they do use some different tactics, but it also helps that Basra is a lot smaller, and not as fragmented with different sects. that has to help things out
Old 03-07-07, 07:24 PM
Banned

yes they do use some different tactics, but it also helps that Basra is a lot smaller, and not as fragmented with different sects. that has to help things out
Of course. There's nothing wrong with american tactics. Stay the course.