Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Aren't there always going to be poor people?

Old 02-23-07, 01:43 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
By the time we have something like replicators (if indeed such a thing is even feasible) I'll go out on a limb and say that we'll have effective treatments for most mental disorders, and anyway, if you can prefab a house with an industrial replicator, why the hell would anyone be living in squalor?
That's interesting. As part of urban renewal programs, the municipality of Mumbai built cement and concrete apartment buildings for sqautters living on public property in huts like these:

What happened next was that those people sold off the apartments and returned to the slums.

Last edited by bhk; 02-23-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-23-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That is an awful lot of white pants.
Old 02-23-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd like to know a lot more about this before I can respond. For instance, what percentage of these people sold the apartment? What sort of support was the government giving them to make this transitition? What sort of expenses were incurred in this program that perhaps the poor couldn't cope with?

In short, I'm not exactly bowled over by this.

Also, do you mean "Bombay"?
Old 02-23-07, 02:42 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I'd like to know a lot more about this before I can respond. For instance, what percentage of these people sold the apartment? What sort of support was the government giving them to make this transitition? What sort of expenses were incurred in this program that perhaps the poor couldn't cope with?

In short, I'm not exactly bowled over by this.

Also, do you mean "Bombay"?
I'm not sure I can give you stats on that but it seems to be common knowledge there amongs the residents of the city formerly known as Bombay, now officially Mumbai.
Old 02-23-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bombay was the western name for the city. Many Indian cities in light of nationalism are going back to original Indian names. Bombay turned into Mumbai (although i think there is debate if that was the original name).
Old 02-23-07, 02:45 PM

Perhaps <i>a propos</i> to nothing, but I'd like to find a website that lists all the places with multiple names, and what groups you are pissing off depending upon which name you use for each. It would really be handy.
Old 02-23-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd guess wikipedia would have a list. they seems to have a list for everything.

A lot of Indian cities changed their names, Bombay, Baroda, Madras, Calcutta, etc.
Old 02-23-07, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Venusian
I'd guess wikipedia would have a list. they seems to have a list for everything.

A lot of Indian cities changed their names, Bombay, Baroda, Madras, Calcutta, etc.
I knew about Bombay and Madras, but not Calcutta. I've never heard of Baroda.

Last edited by wendersfan; 02-23-07 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-23-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Perhaps <i>a propos</i> to nothing, but I'd like to find a website that lists all the places with multiple names, and what groups you are pissing off depending upon which name you use for each. It would really be handy.
My comment was meant as a joke. A list like that would be very handy.

As a person of Irish descent, I am now going to start referring to Dublin as "Baile atha Cliath", and get very offended whenever someone uses the imperalist English name for the city.
Old 02-23-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
I'm not sure I can give you stats on that but it seems to be common knowledge there amongs the residents of the city formerly known as Bombay, now officially Mumbai.
So what? It's common knowledge in New York that molepeople live in abandoned subway tunnels. Doesn't mean it's true.
Old 02-23-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I knew about Bombay and Madras, but not Calcutta. I've never heard of Baroda.
Banglore is thinking about changing their name too.

No one has heard of Baroda, I only know of it because my mom is from there
Old 02-26-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=493564

as long as people do stupid things like this, there will always be poor people