Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

So when did CNN get this bad?

Old 02-15-07, 08:17 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
So when did CNN get this bad?

I very rarely watch evening news, and today I was feeling especially spicy, so I watched CNN's Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer (I rarely watch CNN, but watch Headline News all the time).

So there's this guy named Cafferty who comes on and asks for emails about a topic, then reads them on the air. His question today had to do with why the government's pre-war plan in Iraq was so far off (breaking news, I know).

Anyway, I sent a nice reply talking about state sponsor, yada yada yada, that was well informed, to the point, and very snappy. It wasn't very politically driven, though.

Anyway, instead of reading a variety of view points, Cafferty read 6 emails.

1) "Well this is what you get when you put a C student in the White House."
2) "Haliburton and KBR have made millions, so it looks like things did go according to plan" -- nevermind that KBR is a division of Haliburton
3) "President Bush only listened to what he wanted to hear and fired everyone who disagreed before the war."

and three more emails Bush with the same idea that Bush in an idiot, Bush in an emperialist, and/or Bush kills small children for fun.

This was then followed later by a story about how Bush's policies killed Anna Nicole Smith and just after a story about how Bush is singlehandedly causing global warming.

Seriously, why not just show a picture of him drinking the blood of an infant?

Foxnews is pretty bad, but atleast they try to fake it. It seems like CNN has gone over the deepend. I'm surprised BushSucks.com doesn't redirect to CNN.com. At least HeadlineNews seems pretty objective (before 7pm at least -- when they just report actual news and before that psycho Nancy Grace comes on the air).
matta is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 08:30 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,547
Originally Posted by matta
Seriously, why not just show a picture of him drinking the blood of an infant?
Close enough?

The Valeyard is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 08:39 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
I used to watch Headline News all the time. Then I got rid of cable for a couple of years. When I got it back, HN is no longer news, its just gossip crap
Venusian is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 08:54 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Originally Posted by matta
This was then followed later by a story about how Bush's policies killed Anna Nicole Smith and just after a story about how Bush is singlehandedly causing global warming.
Why do I get the feeling that your characterization is just a bit exaggeratory?
Numanoid is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 09:00 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 5,191
Originally Posted by matta

So there's this guy named Cafferty who comes on and asks for emails about a topic...

Anyway, instead of reading a variety of view points, Cafferty read 6 emails.
That's because the 10 people left in America who support Bush were watching Fox News.


Last edited by Lord Rick; 02-15-07 at 09:02 PM.
Lord Rick is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 09:13 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
CNN has been unwatchable for awhile now. I would try MSNBC but I can never remember what channel it is.
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 09:14 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: the 870
Posts: 21,186
Originally Posted by Lord Rick
That's because the 10 people left in America who support Bush were watching Fox News.

10? You mean the number of Dubya supporters has doubled?
Bacon is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 09:24 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,046
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
10? You mean the number of Dubya supporters has doubled?
I think they're calling it a "surge"
Jason is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 09:40 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 09:49 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
I liked Wolf Blitzer when he was covering the DOD during the Gulf War. Before that, he knew what he was talking about when he was a reporter for the Jerusalem Post.

Unlike some on Fox News, he does have good newsman credentials.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 09:52 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Land of the Lobstrosities
Posts: 10,300
Cafferty is the same guy who called Rumsfeld "an obnoxious jerk and a war criminal" on air, so picking single-sided emails on this issue isn't very surprising.
wmansir is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 09:52 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,435
CNN has always had a liberal slant. They didn't just get that bad, they have always been that bad. Which is why they trail behind.
General Zod is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 09:56 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Originally Posted by General Zod
CNN has always had a liberal slant. They didn't just get that bad, they have always been that bad. Which is why they trail behind.

So you're saying that the reason for Fox News' popularity is their superlative coverage of the news?
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-15-07, 09:58 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,046
Originally Posted by classicman2
So you're saying that the reason for Fox News' popularity is their superlative coverage of the news?
That and their great sense of humor.

And Sean Hannity is made of candy
Jason is offline  
Old 02-16-07, 11:24 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,377
Maybe we should have a new thread title. "CNN has teh liberal media bias. Watch FOX news, they love Bush!"
GreenMonkey is offline  
Old 02-16-07, 11:32 AM
  #16  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,859
More than 2/3rds of Americans oppose the president's handling of the Iraq War, and over half think the invasion was a mistake, and you think a CNN reporter is biased because he read a bunch of emails from people who share that view?
wendersfan is offline  
Old 02-16-07, 11:39 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,938
Originally Posted by General Zod
CNN has always had a liberal slant. They didn't just get that bad, they have always been that bad. Which is why they trail behind.

Or perhaps they trail because they are among a number of left-of-center television media outlets while there is basically 1 right-of-center television media outlet. CNN doesn't trail FNC because they are bad - FNC is no better qualitatively. CNN trails because there is competition for that particular news-viewer. FNC has a monopoly on the viewers they are targeting.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 02-16-07, 11:48 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,368
Why shouldn't the emails be negative towards Bush? It seems representative of the national mood. However, showing emails blaming him for stupid things like Anna Nicole's death is just dumb.
bwvanh114 is offline  
Old 02-16-07, 11:50 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
Cable news is crap. The networks pick news based on what the carbon blobs want to see. It's People Magazine with Wolfe Blitzer. The whole world is entranced by human tragedy and the trainwreck lives of nobodies. Fox News may have the best ratings, but they're penchant for 24/7 coverage of missing white girls or Wacko Jacko's butt implants has made the other (once) credible news stations following the same asinine stories.
dick_grayson is offline  
Old 02-16-07, 11:56 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
One reason Fox News leads CNN in the ratings - Fox has better looking on-air personalities - notice I didn't say news people.

They also have people who tend to say outrageous things. Sadly, too many Americans are attracted to that.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 02-16-07, 12:17 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 5,013
Originally Posted by matta
Seriously, why not just show a picture of him drinking the blood of an infant?
They have to save something for Sweeps.
Goldblum is offline  
Old 02-16-07, 12:27 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,236
Originally Posted by classicman2
One reason Fox News leads CNN in the ratings - Fox has better looking on-air personalities - notice I didn't say news people.

They also have people who tend to say outrageous things. Sadly, too many Americans are attracted to that.
I disagree. Solidad O'Brien can wake me up any day.
Pistol Pete is offline  
Old 02-16-07, 12:51 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,368
Originally Posted by matta
Why not just show a picture of him drinking the blood of an infant?
I read a CNN insider's blog which fully explained the incidence. I honestly don't think either side is at fault. The original baby they were after backed at the last minute. They had a hard time finding a replacement baby and when they finally located a suitable substitute, the parties involved couldn't come to a contract agreement.

At one point they were agreeing in principle but when it came down to the wire, I think the baby's family balked at who retains ownership of any remaining blood afterwards. The family wanted it for sentimental reasons, but CNN also wanted it as they could use it for <i>their</i> new comedy show where they have a skit of various people drinking blood of their enemies to gain power.
bwvanh114 is offline  
Old 02-16-07, 01:07 PM
  #24  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
Fox News is #1 not because of politics, but because they sensationalize everything to death. "SHARK ATTACKS ZOMG!" "WHO IS KIDNAPPING ALL OUR WHITE WOMEN WTF?" "ASTRONAUTS IN DIAPERS LOL!!!"
Groucho is offline  
Old 02-16-07, 01:31 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,368
Originally Posted by Groucho
"WHO IS KIDNAPPING ALL OUR WHITE WOMEN WTF?"
bwvanh114 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.