Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

So when did CNN get this bad?

Old 02-15-07, 08:17 PM
Banned

So when did CNN get this bad?

I very rarely watch evening news, and today I was feeling especially spicy, so I watched CNN's Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer (I rarely watch CNN, but watch Headline News all the time).

So there's this guy named Cafferty who comes on and asks for emails about a topic, then reads them on the air. His question today had to do with why the government's pre-war plan in Iraq was so far off (breaking news, I know).

Anyway, I sent a nice reply talking about state sponsor, yada yada yada, that was well informed, to the point, and very snappy. It wasn't very politically driven, though.

Anyway, instead of reading a variety of view points, Cafferty read 6 emails.

1) "Well this is what you get when you put a C student in the White House."
2) "Haliburton and KBR have made millions, so it looks like things did go according to plan" -- nevermind that KBR is a division of Haliburton
3) "President Bush only listened to what he wanted to hear and fired everyone who disagreed before the war."

and three more emails Bush with the same idea that Bush in an idiot, Bush in an emperialist, and/or Bush kills small children for fun.

This was then followed later by a story about how Bush's policies killed Anna Nicole Smith and just after a story about how Bush is singlehandedly causing global warming.

Seriously, why not just show a picture of him drinking the blood of an infant?

Foxnews is pretty bad, but atleast they try to fake it. It seems like CNN has gone over the deepend. I'm surprised BushSucks.com doesn't redirect to CNN.com. At least HeadlineNews seems pretty objective (before 7pm at least -- when they just report actual news and before that psycho Nancy Grace comes on the air).
Old 02-15-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matta
Close enough?

Old 02-15-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I used to watch Headline News all the time. Then I got rid of cable for a couple of years. When I got it back, HN is no longer news, its just gossip crap
Old 02-15-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was then followed later by a story about how Bush's policies killed Anna Nicole Smith and just after a story about how Bush is singlehandedly causing global warming.
Why do I get the feeling that your characterization is just a bit exaggeratory?
Old 02-15-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So there's this guy named Cafferty who comes on and asks for emails about a topic...

Anyway, instead of reading a variety of view points, Cafferty read 6 emails.
That's because the 10 people left in America who support Bush were watching Fox News.

Last edited by Lord Rick; 02-15-07 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-15-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CNN has been unwatchable for awhile now. I would try MSNBC but I can never remember what channel it is.
Old 02-15-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lord Rick
That's because the 10 people left in America who support Bush were watching Fox News.

10? You mean the number of Dubya supporters has doubled?
Old 02-15-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
10? You mean the number of Dubya supporters has doubled?
I think they're calling it a "surge"
Old 02-15-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-15-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I liked Wolf Blitzer when he was covering the DOD during the Gulf War. Before that, he knew what he was talking about when he was a reporter for the Jerusalem Post.

Unlike some on Fox News, he does have good newsman credentials.
Old 02-15-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cafferty is the same guy who called Rumsfeld "an obnoxious jerk and a war criminal" on air, so picking single-sided emails on this issue isn't very surprising.
Old 02-15-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

CNN has always had a liberal slant. They didn't just get that bad, they have always been that bad. Which is why they trail behind.
Old 02-15-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by General Zod
CNN has always had a liberal slant. They didn't just get that bad, they have always been that bad. Which is why they trail behind.

So you're saying that the reason for Fox News' popularity is their superlative coverage of the news?
Old 02-15-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2
So you're saying that the reason for Fox News' popularity is their superlative coverage of the news?
That and their great sense of humor.

And Sean Hannity is made of candy
Old 02-16-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe we should have a new thread title. "CNN has teh liberal media bias. Watch FOX news, they love Bush!"
Old 02-16-07, 11:32 AM

More than 2/3rds of Americans oppose the president's handling of the Iraq War, and over half think the invasion was a mistake, and you think a CNN reporter is biased because he read a bunch of emails from people who share that view?
Old 02-16-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by General Zod

Or perhaps they trail because they are among a number of left-of-center television media outlets while there is basically 1 right-of-center television media outlet. CNN doesn't trail FNC because they are bad - FNC is no better qualitatively. CNN trails because there is competition for that particular news-viewer. FNC has a monopoly on the viewers they are targeting.
Old 02-16-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why shouldn't the emails be negative towards Bush? It seems representative of the national mood. However, showing emails blaming him for stupid things like Anna Nicole's death is just dumb.
Old 02-16-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cable news is crap. The networks pick news based on what the carbon blobs want to see. It's People Magazine with Wolfe Blitzer. The whole world is entranced by human tragedy and the trainwreck lives of nobodies. Fox News may have the best ratings, but they're penchant for 24/7 coverage of missing white girls or Wacko Jacko's butt implants has made the other (once) credible news stations following the same asinine stories.
Old 02-16-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

One reason Fox News leads CNN in the ratings - Fox has better looking on-air personalities - notice I didn't say news people.

They also have people who tend to say outrageous things. Sadly, too many Americans are attracted to that.
Old 02-16-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They have to save something for Sweeps.
Old 02-16-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2
One reason Fox News leads CNN in the ratings - Fox has better looking on-air personalities - notice I didn't say news people.

They also have people who tend to say outrageous things. Sadly, too many Americans are attracted to that.
I disagree. Solidad O'Brien can wake me up any day.
Old 02-16-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why not just show a picture of him drinking the blood of an infant?
I read a CNN insider's blog which fully explained the incidence. I honestly don't think either side is at fault. The original baby they were after backed at the last minute. They had a hard time finding a replacement baby and when they finally located a suitable substitute, the parties involved couldn't come to a contract agreement.

At one point they were agreeing in principle but when it came down to the wire, I think the baby's family balked at who retains ownership of any remaining blood afterwards. The family wanted it for sentimental reasons, but CNN also wanted it as they could use it for <i>their</i> new comedy show where they have a skit of various people drinking blood of their enemies to gain power.
Old 02-16-07, 01:07 PM

Fox News is #1 not because of politics, but because they sensationalize everything to death. "SHARK ATTACKS ZOMG!" "WHO IS KIDNAPPING ALL OUR WHITE WOMEN WTF?" "ASTRONAUTS IN DIAPERS LOL!!!"
Old 02-16-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
"WHO IS KIDNAPPING ALL OUR WHITE WOMEN WTF?"

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.