Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

So when did CNN get this bad?

Old 02-16-07, 02:05 PM

I cannot believe that people are still watching these horrible channels that pretend that they are actually reporting news without some sense of media bias. While Fox goes to the right, and CNN goes to the left it still makes to unreliable news stations. For a while I even would watch MSNBC but I have finally decided to stop watching them unless some big is happening...and no I am not talking about the death of Anna Nicole.

I generally like to get my news via the internet where I can read to make up my own mind.
Old 02-16-07, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by sjrab16
I cannot believe that people are still watching these horrible channels that pretend that they are actually reporting news without some sense of media bias. While Fox goes to the right, and CNN goes to the left it still makes to unreliable news stations. For a while I even would watch MSNBC but I have finally decided to stop watching them unless some big is happening...and no I am not talking about the death of Anna Nicole.

I generally like to get my news via the internet where I can read to make up my own mind.
Well, yeah. I think someone here mentioned recently that, for whatever shortcomings he has, at least on <i>Hardball</i> Chris Matthews actually talks about politics, and not the latest sensationalist story of the day. Network TV news (ABC/NBC/CBS) is a waste, since they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator of viewer. And now, since cable is almost ubiquitous in US households, the 24 hour news channels are the same, especially since they have so much more air time to fill. I'll occasionally watch the aforementioned Hardball, and I'll still catch the Jim Lehrer show when I have the TV on at that time, but there are so many more convenient and efficient ways of getting news for someone like myself, who sits in front of a computer most of the day.
Old 02-16-07, 02:25 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Well, yeah. I think someone here mentioned recently that, for whatever shortcomings he has, at least on <i>Hardball</i> Chris Matthews actually talks about politics, and not the latest sensationalist story of the day.
Although he concentrates on what he wants to make the latest sensationalist political story of the day. This is amply displayed by his heavy concentration on the Plame story, and then his dropping it like a hot potato when Rove wasn't indicted. Then he attempted to make it big news again when the Libby's trial was on although it still wasn't one of the major political stories.

This doesn't seem any different than sensationalizing A.N.S., just that it's politically oriented.
Old 02-16-07, 02:30 PM

You're probably right, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to the Plame story, nor am I spending any energy, emotional or otherwise, on the "Scooter" Libby trial.
Old 02-16-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Chris Matthews talks about politics on Hardball.

Now you may not like the politics he talks about, but he doesn't stray.

I think the Libby trial was signficant news.

He was supposed to testify. The VP was supposed to testify.

It indicated, at least to me, that we might get some insight why the Bush administration was so adamant about going to war in Iraq and why the big hurry.

I believe it's news when a vice president is going to be put under oath and testify at a criminal trial in which he has some involvement.

Last edited by classicman2; 02-16-07 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-16-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only show worth watching on CNN now is Lou Dobbs. He has the highest ratings, which is understandable especially compared to far left crazies like Paula Zahn. Larry King is okay on occasion, but for the most part I avoid CNN other than Dobbs. I like that Dobbs is hated by both liberals and neocons. He rarely covers fluff stories like the astronaut love triangle or the Anna Nicole death. Also, he was the first TV news source to really push the Ramos and Compean story, which has the potential to become the next watergate (Bordergate?). While Dobbs is nowhere near as cutting edge as internet news sources, he's still much better than the rest of the same old infotainment. As bad as cable news can be, network news is even more worthless.
Old 02-16-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Fox News is #1 not because of politics, but because they sensationalize everything to death. "SHARK ATTACKS ZOMG!" "WHO IS KIDNAPPING ALL OUR WHITE WOMEN WTF?" "ASTRONAUTS IN DIAPERS LOL!!!"
Funny, but in fairness, the other networks do the exact same thing.
Old 02-16-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Funny, but in fairness, the other networks do the exact same thing.
Yeah, maybe it's the time I eat lunch in the breakroom, but CNN has been NonStop AnnaNicole since she died. "This Just In! No further updates."

At least Fox, though they may hammer one topic, at least sometimes it's different news personalities/commentators doing it, and they are not shy about their commentary.
Old 02-16-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

why do people have this devotion to news channels? if someone insults their favorite channel they feel like someone insulted their mom
Old 02-16-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian
why do people have this devotion to news channels? if someone insults their favorite channel they feel like someone insulted their mom
Probably because for many it is a highly personal decision. They pick a news channel that best reflects their views. So attack the channel = attack the person.
Old 02-16-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Venusian

Yo mamma's so ugly.....
Old 02-16-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Xytraguptorh
I like that Dobbs is hated by both liberals and neocons.

Even the libertarians don't like Dobbs.
Old 02-16-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Fox is #1 for whatever reasons you need to tell yourself. Your opinions are the correct ones, and things that disagree with your point of view are novelties.
Old 02-17-07, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xytraguptorh
The only show worth watching on CNN now is Lou Dobbs. He has the highest ratings, which is understandable especially compared to far left crazies like Paula Zahn. Larry King is okay on occasion, but for the most part I avoid CNN other than Dobbs. I like that Dobbs is hated by both liberals and neocons. He rarely covers fluff stories like the astronaut love triangle or the Anna Nicole death. Also, he was the first TV news source to really push the Ramos and Compean story, which has the potential to become the next watergate (Bordergate?). While Dobbs is nowhere near as cutting edge as internet news sources, he's still much better than the rest of the same old infotainment. As bad as cable news can be, network news is even more worthless.
If all someone is interested in is outsourcing and boarder control issues then I could see why they would like Dobbs, but it really gets ponderous.

Also, seriously, WTF is up with the Anna Nicole Smith coverage? and don't even try to say it's just FNC, they deservedly get a bad rap for covering this tabloid crap, but with this story it seems like everyone is on it. She was a C level celebrity before this, and quickly moving to D level.
Old 02-17-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do we really have to start naming off all the times that CNN has kissed the Bush Administration's ass and uncritically reported White House propaganda?

Why is that that people believe that unless a news station is always in 100% lock-step with the Bush Administration, they're evil liberals?

Fox news is a paid-for propaganda arm of the Republican party thanks to legislation from the Gingrich era. Other than that, the majority of news stations report based on what will bring in the most ratings. It's the Jerry Springer-ization of our media, where ratings are now everything, and you have to have outragous claims to draw people in.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 02-17-07 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-17-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmansir
If all someone is interested in is outsourcing and boarder control issues then I could see why they would like Dobbs, but it really gets ponderous.
Well said. If you show me a Lou Dobbs fan, I'll show you a populist. Close our borders, be protectionist on trade, etc... He'd get along great with Pat Buchanan.
Old 02-17-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Do we really have to start naming off all the times that CNN has kissed the Bush Administration's ass and uncritically reported White House propaganda?

Why is that that people believe that unless a news station is always in 100% lock-step with the Bush Administration, they're evil liberals?

Fox news is a paid-for propaganda arm of the Republican party thanks to legislation from the Gingrich era. Other than that, the majority of news stations report based on what will bring in the most ratings. It's the Jerry Springer-ization of our media, where ratings are now everything, and you have to have outragous claims to draw people in.
Old 02-17-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sjrab16
I do the same. But be careful, just because there isn't some dude screaming, gesticulating and making faces doesn't mean the news you read is written from an unbiased perspective.

The virtue to the Internet is that you can choose which topics you expose yourself to.

I strongly recommend http://news.google.com/

I find a story I want to read about, check out a couple of disparate sources and I feel pretty well informed. It is certainly more effortful, but it (1)allows you to set the agenda for which topics fill your mind, and (2)should give you a spectrum of slants on the particular topic.
Old 02-17-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

There are people that also think if a news channel does tend to agree with the Bush administration that they are some sort of "paid-for propaganda arm of the Republican party". CNN was reporting with a liberal stance since the day it came on the air - way before the Bush administration.

Last edited by General Zod; 02-17-07 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-17-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod
There are people that also think if a news channel does tend to agree with the Bush administration that they are some sort of "paid-for propaganda arm of the Republican party".
That is factual, though, as it was Newt Gingrich and the Republican congress that cleared the way for foreign interests to hold more media outlets in the United States. This lead to Murdoch buying Fox and other outlets, and his attempted payback to Gingrich for spearheading the legislation was the book deal that lead to Gingrich being accused of ethical violations.

Murdoch has never forgotten the debt he owes the Republican party.
Old 02-17-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog

Yo mamma's so ugly.....
No, you're thinking of MTV...
Old 02-17-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes.
Old 02-17-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What is sad is that often Good Morning America is more informative and insightful than these other news programs.
Old 02-17-07, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bushdog
I do the same. But be careful, just because there isn't some dude screaming, gesticulating and making faces doesn't mean the news you read is written from an unbiased perspective.

The virtue to the Internet is that you can choose which topics you expose yourself to.

I strongly recommend http://news.google.com/

I find a story I want to read about, check out a couple of disparate sources and I feel pretty well informed. It is certainly more effortful, but it (1)allows you to set the agenda for which topics fill your mind, and (2)should give you a spectrum of slants on the particular topic.
I know what you mean. That is why I like to make sure I go to specific places that are biased to their position, news sites like the english al jazeera gets a look every once in a while. I will have to check out google news, and see what it was like. thanks for the tip.

Rupert Murdoch has Fox News be conservative because that is where he knows he can get ratings. Just like when you go overseas and see some of his stations they are more liberal, because he knows what the public wants sometimes.

Last night my wife and I were watching The Soup on E and they showed a clip from a Fox show called "Red Eye". Now I have no clue what type of show this is, but the clip they showed was completely bullshit. Asking in a poll who the father of Anna Nicoles baby was. Obviously she had some issues in her life but to add a dolphin as one of the choices just for a joke is stupid. That right there has turned me off of Fox forever. When they first started I used to watch their chennel, but have not really watched in a long time. I was totally disgusted with what I saw last night. For all of you conservatives who just chalk it up to another crazy liberal you are wrong, I consider myself a moderate conservative but I cannot believe people watch that crap.
Old 02-17-07, 05:31 PM
Admin-MemeCat

One of the things that the other news stations felt resonated with FOXNews was how opinionated many of their hosts were. They liked to shoot from the hip, so now all the 24hr news stations try to throw in as much opinion as they can. Sadly, that's not really news, so I find myself watching the 24hr stations less and less. They all pretty much suck. They're about entertainment, not news. I don't think the American public is interested in raw "news."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.