Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Hilarious: Imus takes Chris Matthews to the carpet for dropping F Bomb

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-07-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't stand either of these guys but Imus definitely read Matthews the riot act on this one.

Chris Matthews: Bush's F#&!*N Ranch!

MSNBC's Chris Matthews ran afoul of censors by using "the f-word" during a
Wednesday appearance on the 'Imus in the Morning' show.

Matthews, the fast-talking and brash host of the popular MSNBC show
"Hardball," was praising Rudy Giuliani's 2008 candidacy when he went on a
rant about "city guys" like Giuliani versus the "southerners," such as
President George W. Bush, who run for national office.

Matthews: "We love good mayors because we love our cities and Giuliani is a
city guy . . . I'm so sick of Southern guys with ranches running this
country. I want a guy to run for president who doesn't have a f***ing ranch
. . ."

Imus: "Did we bleep that out of there? . . . What were you swearing for?"

Matthews: "I'm sorry."

Imus: "If you were on 'Meet the Press' would you say that? Of course not."

Matthews: "I think I said something like that on my show once."

Imus: "Yeah, your show, but nobody watches your show."

Matthews: "Would you stop?"

Imus: "I actually have several million people that advertise that I can lose
as a result . . . There's something wrong with you."

Apparently, Imus' national radio show which airs with a tape delay "beeped"
out the expletive, but MSNBC did not catch it.
Old 02-07-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can't stand Imus but I can totally understand his beef. Most radio companies are still freaking about the FCC as far as fines for bad words getting out. I know of quite a few situations where people lost jobs for either saying something on air or not catching bad words and having them go out for the public to hear.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-07-07 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-07-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

TV people think radio is crap, and as a result, they don't take it seriously when they are on it. They are above radio. This doesn't surprise me.
Old 02-07-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like how Imus tried to compare himself to Meet the Press.
Old 02-07-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"I'm so sick of Southern guys with ranches running this
country. I want a guy to run for president who doesn't have a f***ing ranch"

Halle-fuckin-lujah. Someone speaks some sense.

What is Imus' problem? Thats why they have the delay and the bleeping. Imus is a dick.
Old 02-07-07, 12:24 PM
X
Administrator

LBJ and GWB were the only "Southern guys with ranches" as far as I can think of.
Old 02-07-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hyperbole. :sigh:

BTW, didn't Reagan have a ranch? He used to dress up like a cowboy.
Old 02-07-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jimmy Carter was a peanut farmer.
Old 02-07-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Carter had a peanut farm. Does that count?

I always knew Imus was full of himself - comparision between his 'show' and Meet the Press.
Old 02-07-07, 12:52 PM
X
Administrator

Reagan wasn't a Southerner and I'm not sure Carter really herded peanuts on the family "ranch".

I would say that we're better off not electing Southern governors or Northern elitists.
Old 02-07-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some past quotes from "which way the wind blows" Matthews, when Bush was popular.

Chris Loves George, Part 1: Bush sometimes "glimmers" with "sunny nobility." On MSNBC's Hardball, during a discussion with Washington Times editorial page editor Tony Blankley of the effects on President Bush and his administration of the investigation into the leak of the name of CIA operative Valerie Plame, Matthews said "[S]ometimes it glimmers with this man, our president, that kind of sunny nobility." [Hardball, 10/24/05]

Chris Loves George, Part 2: "Everybody sort of likes the president, except for the real whack-jobs ..." Insulting the majority of Americans who hold an unfavorable opinion of President Bush, Matthews exclaimed on Hardball: "Everybody sort of likes the president, except for the real whack-jobs, maybe on the left," adding, "I mean, like him personally." [Hardball, 11/28/05]

Chris Loves George, Part 3: Matthews praised Bush speech as "brilliant" even before it was delivered. Before Bush had even delivered his November 30 speech at the U.S. Naval Academy, Matthews used variations of the word "brilliant" twice to describe it, while deriding Democratic critics of the Iraq war as "carpers and complainers." [MSNBC live coverage, 11/30/05]

Chris Loves George, Part 4: Bush "belongs on Mount Rushmore." Recounting his experience at a White House party, Matthews said that he "felt sensitive" during his interactions with the president, adding: "You get your picture taken with him. It's like Santa Claus, and he's always very generous and friendly." He continued: "I felt like I was too towel-snappy with him," explaining that Bush had noted his "red scarf" and remarked that he looked "preppy." During the same show, Matthews stated: "If [Bush's] gamble that he can create a democracy in the middle of the Arab world" is successful, "he belongs on Mount Rushmore." [Hardball, 12/16/05]
Old 02-07-07, 12:55 PM
X
Administrator

Didn't Matthews stop talking about Plamegate when Rove was cleared because, as he said, it got too complicated for the public to understand? Funny how it got uncomplicated now that Libby is on trial.
Old 02-07-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar
Some past quotes from "which way the wind blows" Matthews, when Bush was popular.
Yes, Matthews seemed totally pro-Bush and pro-Iraq when the war started. He's made an amazing transformation.

I still like his show. Its the only show that talks politics and not nonsense about astronauts and missing teenagers.
Old 02-07-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
Didn't Matthews stop talking about Plamegate when Rove was cleared because, as he said, it got too complicated for the public to understand? Funny how it got uncomplicated now that Libby is on trial.
He stopped talking about it when Fitzgerald gave his press conference. What else was there to talk about until the trial started?
Old 02-07-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what makes this "hilarious?"

I've dropped the f-bomb during wedding speeches, court arraignments, baptisms......and no one there thought it was funny.
Old 02-07-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently, the OP likes the Cowboy hat wearing Creepshow skeleton Imus more than Matthews.

Old 02-07-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114
Apparently, the OP likes the Cowboy hat wearing Creepshow skeleton Imus more than Matthews.

I said in the original post that I didn't care for either of them. I'm not really sure what my opinion of them has to do with the subject matter. I was merely pointing out Matthews hypocricy. You wanna have a go at Imus, have at it, no one's stopping you.
Old 02-07-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by X
LBJ and GWB were the only "Southern guys with ranches" as far as I can think of.
I wish people would make up their mind. I've heard criticisms that Bush bought the ranch at face value to seem more earthy for the 2000 elections. Now Matthews acts like Bush has been a cowherder all his life.
Old 02-07-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
what makes this "hilarious?"

I've dropped the f-bomb during wedding speeches, court arraignments, baptisms......and no one there thought it was funny.
Imus's reaction. Sorry if it's not funny to you. Geez tough crowd here today.
Old 02-07-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar
Imus's reaction. Sorry if it's not funny to you. Geez tough crowd here today.
it's all good. I found it amusing
Old 02-07-07, 02:22 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Don't worry about it. I'm glad you posted it. Shows what egotistical asshats both are.

He stopped talking about it when Fitzgerald gave his press conference. What else was there to talk about until the trial started?
You misremember completely. He stopped talking about it when it was found that Armitage was the one who was responsible and not Rove. When called to the carpet about it at a Wash. social event by someone, that's when he gave the excuse that it was too complicated for the public to follow.

Matthews is an asshat who has fooled some people into believeing that he isn't a hard left liberal. Instead of the UFC, I'd like to see a Miller/Matthews PPV event. I'd buy tickets for that.

mus: "Yeah, your show, but nobody watches your show."
Too true.
Old 02-07-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Matthews is hardly a hard left liberal.

Yes, Matthews seemed totally pro-Bush and pro-Iraq when the war started. He's made an amazing transformation.
I don't believe Matthews was ever gung-ho on the War in Iraq.

He expressed reservations about it.

I think his interviews with some of the neo-cons like Frank Gaffney, Richard Pearle, etc. brought about a transformation in his thinking.

He, like others, became very skeptical after nearly everything we were told about the reasons for the war proved to not pass the smell test.

I do believe he's carried his opposition to the war to an extent that causes some of us who once supported him to be critical of what has become of his program - Hardball.
Old 02-07-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

His support for the war and Bush was obvious in the beginning. He's just now turning to where the majority of Americans are...
Old 02-07-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Sometimes (often times some would say) Matthews adopts the contrarian view just to add a little spice to the show, IMO.

It's been said by some that he's developed this more, I don't know the word for it, 'view', because he's seen that it's been somewhat successful for Keith Olbermann (sp?).
Old 02-07-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114

I still like his show. Its the only show that talks politics and not nonsense about astronauts and missing teenagers.
Translation: we can like him now that he's a lefty.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.