Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

20 face lashes & prison for...dancing in Saudi Arabia

Old 02-05-07, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

20 face lashes & prison for...dancing in Saudi Arabia

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16978938/?GT1=9033

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - A Saudi Arabian judge sentenced 20 foreigners to receive lashes and spend several months in prison after convicting them of attending a party where alcohol was served and men and women danced, a newspaper reported Sunday.

The defendants were among 433 foreigners, including some 240 women, arrested by the kingdom's religious police for attending the party in Jiddah, the state-guided newspaper Okaz said. It did not identify the foreigners, give their nationalities or say when the party took place.

Judge Saud al-Boushi sentenced the 20 to prison terms of three to four months and ordered them to receive an unspecified number of lashes, the newspaper said. They have the right to appeal, it added.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

Praise Allah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The prosecutor general charged the 20 with "drinking, arranging for impudent party, mixed dancing and shooting a video for the party," Okaz said.

The paper said the rest of those arrested were awaiting trial.

Saudi Arabia follows a strict interpretation of Islam under which it bans alcohol and meetings between unrelated men and women.

The religious police, a force resented by many Saudis for interfering in personal lives, enjoys wide powers. Its officers roam malls, markets, universities and other public places looking for such infractions as unrelated men and women mingling, men skipping Islam's five daily prayers and women with strands of hair showing from under their veil.

In May, the Interior Ministry restricted the powers of the religious police to just arresting suspects, because the police sometimes had held people incommunicado and insisted on taking part in ensuing investigations.

---

It's always nice to see Saudi Arabia demonstrating their more progressive cultural characteristics.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-05-07 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-05-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't think of anything that can top the case where the Saudi religious police prevented people from rescuing schoolgirls from a burning building because they didn't have headscarfs.

I do wonder if Egypt is that much better than Saudi Arabia when it comes to these things.
Old 02-05-07, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, blowing up innocent people =
but, dancing =

(I know - I'm generalizing. Get off my back)
Old 02-05-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This country needs to be invaded ASAP. What the hell is all that oil doing in the hands of those psychopaths?
Old 02-05-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Parcher
This country needs to be invaded ASAP. What the hell is all that oil doing in the hands of those psychopaths?
Sorry, these particular psychopaths are our friends because:
*They sell us oil
*They don't do such blatantly anti-American things as their neighbors.

(but I hear what you're saying. Do we really need these kinds of friends?)
Old 02-05-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
It's always nice to see Saudi Arabia demonstrating their more progressive cultural characteristics.
They are "good" Islamofascists!

Old 02-05-07, 09:23 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by OldDude
Sorry, these particular psychopaths are our friends because:
*They sell us oil
*They don't do such blatantly anti-American things as their neighbors.

(but I hear what you're saying. Do we really need these kinds of friends?)
That's why I support a Manhattan Project style effort to get us off Mid East Oil. We don't need these assclowns influencing our foreign policy.
Old 02-05-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
That's why I support a Manhattan Project style effort to get us off Mid East Oil. We don't need these assclowns influencing our foreign policy.
There are some here in the US who benefit financially from ties to Mid East Oil and don't mind their influence on our foreign policy. That's a hurdle that is virtually impossible to overcome.
Old 02-05-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

During the 1970s only 11% of the oil we imported came from the Middle East. I really don't know what it is today. It's signficantly a higher percentage than it was 30 years ago, however.

I do know we're importing 60-62% of our oil needs.
Old 02-05-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

While I definitely think it is wrong, it is very easy to avoid. Don't go to Saudi Arabia, and if you do, follow their laws, no matter how stupid.

If some Saudi came over to Washington State, played internet poker and was arrested for a class C felony, I would think it was stupid, but I would also think he could have avoided it by simply following the laws of the country and state he was in.

And don't tell me they didn't know what the laws were. I don't go to a fundamentalist Islamic state without checking out the laws.

Last edited by kvrdave; 02-05-07 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-05-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Definately is correctly spelled as definitely.
Old 02-05-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

There. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.
Old 02-05-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

They need Kevin Bacon to show them the error of their ways.
Old 02-05-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This just reveals how our current administration right now is so fucking completely full of shit.

We go over to Iraq to "bring freedom and democracy", when even under Saddam, Iraqis had far, FAR more freedom than anyone in Saudi Arabia. For example, there are/were Christian churches that operate within Iraq, with no problem. But in SA (and even Kuwait) you get thrown in prison for even having a copy of a Christian (non-Barabas) Bible.

If Bush was such an awesome Christian, and a defender of democracy, why the fuck is he holding hands with the leader of one of the worst, most extreme dictatorships in the world? Islamo-fascism indeed!
Old 02-05-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my house, it's only 10 lashes.
Old 02-05-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

If Bush was such an awesome Christian, and a defender of democracy, why the fuck is he holding hands with the leader of one of the worst, most extreme dictatorships in the world? Islamo-fascism indeed!
Why - out of necessity.

OIL!!
Old 02-05-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101

he's just practicing the "turn the other cheek" thing.

The way women are treated in some countries (especially ones that we're in bed with) is fucking sad and also pretty enraging. Unfortunately, I'm a lover, not a fighter so I can only call people hypocrites from the comfort of my own home.
Old 02-05-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I worked with alot of power guys at my last job who spent alot of time in Saudi....they said as long as you stayed in your camp and produced your own alcohol, you were ok, but then I talked to a maintainer from the Phillipeans who said that the laxer rules are for Americans...being a Phillipino, he was once perched on top of a telephone pole when calls for prayer started, and the religious police started throwing rocks at him to get him to come down until they were over
Old 02-05-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
This just reveals how our current administration right now is so fucking completely full of shit.

We go over to Iraq to "bring freedom and democracy", when even under Saddam, Iraqis had far, FAR more freedom than anyone in Saudi Arabia. For example, there are/were Christian churches that operate within Iraq, with no problem. But in SA (and even Kuwait) you get thrown in prison for even having a copy of a Christian (non-Barabas) Bible.

If any administration went all ideology and no "Machiavelli", USA would die.. you have to play your cards.
Old 02-05-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

- which sucks, btw, as I would gladly let everyone see me in Saudi Arabia with an m16 pointed at their leaders, and me spreading liberty one bullet at a time.
Old 02-05-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Parcher
- which sucks, btw, as I would gladly let everyone see me in Saudi Arabia with an m16 pointed at their leaders, and me spreading liberty one bullet at a time.
Wow.

It's a good thing folks like this just talk a lot and hardly ever actually join the military.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-05-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2
During the 1970s only 11% of the oil we imported came from the Middle East. I really don't know what it is today. It's signficantly a higher percentage than it was 30 years ago
I think it is about 20% today, not as high as some people think (some joe six packs think we get all our oil from the middle east )
Old 02-05-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad they weren't doin' the Safety Dance.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...afetyDance.jpg

Last edited by Vibiana; 02-05-07 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-05-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG
I think it is about 20% today, not as high as some people think (some joe six packs think we get all our oil from the middle east )
We get a substantial amount from Venezuela. Another country the US apparently has moral issues with but loves their oil!
Old 02-05-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Too bad they weren't doin' the Safety Dance.
Is that a reference to something from the '80s? You must be like, a thousand years old, or something...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.