Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Backlash coming for newly-elected Dems?

Old 02-01-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Backlash coming for newly-elected Dems?

I saw this story (below) in my old hometown's regional newspaper and it reminded me of a recent incident with my local house rep (Boyda) and then I remembered a reference by X (in another thread) about similar feeling in the Bay Area (SF) about Pelosi or Feinstein, so I was wondering if the very vocal left-wing are going to make things difficult on the newly-elected Dems for not opposing the administration as much as possible?

I wondered if this would be a growing issue since the 'netroots' crowd was very vocal and very demanding in what they wanted and would make life difficult for any candidate who strayed.

http://www.vnews.com/02012007/3767227.htm

U.S. Rep. Peter Welch last year made his campaign for Congress a referendum on Republican rule on Capitol Hill and the Bush White House, handily defeating Republican Martha Rainville.

But this week, Hartland's favorite Democrat is being accused by a few members of Vermont's antiwar left with being too timid in opposing the war in Iraq and too cozy with President Bush.

Welch was sailing along as a guest on Vermont Public Radio's Switchboard program Tuesday night until “Michael in Worcester (Vt.)” called in with some blistering commentary.

The caller told Welch he was “very appalled by the news showing you clamoring to get President Bush's autograph after the State of the Union” speech on Capitol Hill, and dismissed a Welch spokesman's subsequent explanation that it was akin to a Red Sox fan trying to get Yankee Derek Jeter’s autograph.

“Sir, you didn't run against Derek Jeter's policies. You ran a campaign for a very long time telling Vermonters that you were vehemently opposed to President Bush and his policies,” said Michael, who said Welch “was basically reduced to a schoolboy cheerleader.”

The caller then blasted Welch for supporting what many regard as largely symbolic resolutions opposing the escalation of troops in Iraq or calling for a troop withdrawal at an indeterminate date, but not signing on to tougher legislation, with real teeth that could cut off funding for the war, proposed by progressive Democrats such as U.S. Reps. Jerrold Nadler of New York and Lynn Woolsey of California.

Michael said the resolutions Welch, and many mainstream Democrats, seem to be supporting are “just the resolutions that we both know mean absolutely nothing. They are akin to letters to the editor,” rather than legislation with real effect.

Welch defended his voting record, noting that he had “voted for all of the legislation that has been in direct conflict with the Bush position,” such as bills raising the minimum wage and ending tax breaks for the oil industry.

Welch, a rookie favorite of the new Democratic leadership who has been named to the House Rules Committee, has also been criticized on at least one Vermont political Web log on the subject. On VPR Tuesday night, he offered this putative salve: “Some of the bills that the caller mentioned, I will look at. They are coming in fast and furious, but I am working aggressively to change our direction in Iraq.”

Though Welch did indeed get Bush to autograph a State of the Union program -- Welch gave it to his godson, who was his guest at the speech -- the Vermont lawmaker said Bush had spotted him in the crowd and inquired about an old classmate who lives in the Burlington area.
Old 02-01-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One would hope! But of course, they are now all thinking about reelection.
Old 02-01-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like Welch got wtfpwndlol on that radio show. Would have been funny to hear.

The whole "Bush signing autographs" thing strikes me as bizarre. I thought that during the SotU coverage.
Old 02-01-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I believe many anti-war people thought there was a referendum on the war, but I don't think there was. I think many individuals got kicked out for scandal type stuff and, while they may not like how things have gone, I don't see any big push to pull out of Iraq by those elected, nor was there campaigning based on that (for the most part). So if the election was about the war, it seems it was merely to give more oversight to Bush.

Probably the biggest problem faced is the idea that now the Dems hold the Senate and the House and they can't seem to get stuff done. So now what is the excuse? That's what the Republicans faced when they held both the House and Senate.

But I would guess we can look back two years from now and very little will be different than if the Repubs had kept control.
Old 02-01-07, 05:12 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

It's going to get worse once the kooks realize they were only being used to gain political power.
Old 02-01-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It can get worse?

Man, I don't see how...
Old 02-01-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I believe many anti-war people thought there was a referendum on the war, but I don't think there was. I think many individuals got kicked out for scandal type stuff and, while they may not like how things have gone, I don't see any big push to pull out of Iraq by those elected, nor was there campaigning based on that (for the most part). So if the election was about the war, it seems it was merely to give more oversight to Bush.

Probably the biggest problem faced is the idea that now the Dems hold the Senate and the House and they can't seem to get stuff done. So now what is the excuse? That's what the Republicans faced when they held both the House and Senate.

But I would guess we can look back two years from now and very little will be different than if the Repubs had kept control.
They have only been in office for a month!

But anyway, I don't believe Casey, Webb, McCaskill or Tester ran on immediate withdrawal. They ran on being a CHECK on the executive and not a rubber stamp. I'm positive thats exactly what we'll get.
Old 02-01-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114
They have only been in office for a month!
Give it time and see if they actually do much. I don't expect they will.

But anyway, I don't believe Casey, Webb, McCaskill or Tester ran on immediate withdrawal. They ran on being a CHECK on the executive and not a rubber stamp. I'm positive thats exactly what we'll get.
Then they are tying themselves to Bush's performance. That makes you feel better? If Bush sucks in the eyes of the Dems, what good did electing a bunch of Dems who would going to hold him in check do? And if he doesn't suck, who will get the votes as a result.

I hope you honestly don't think that running on holding someone in check is a good idea. It is a lose/lose proposition.
Old 02-01-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope you honestly don't think that running on holding someone in check is a good idea. It is a lose/lose proposition.
As long as they keep us out of Iran, I'm happy until they get the Whitehouse in 2008.
Old 02-01-07, 10:34 PM
Admin-Thanos

I believe many anti-war people thought there was a referendum on the war, but I don't think there was.
Well it all depends on your perspective. Most wingers usually interpret election results as a validation of their beliefs, no matter how far out on the wing they are. The same can be said about the Christian Conservative movement.
Old 02-02-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bhk
It's going to get worse once the kooks realize they were only being used to gain political power.
Are you talking about the religious right and Republicans or the far left and Democrats? I can't tell.
Old 02-02-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bhk
The "Christian" Right hasn't figured it out in 27 years.

Old 02-02-07, 01:10 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
It can get worse?

Man, I don't see how...
Worse for the dems is what I meant. Not the general state of the country. All the screeching and anger that was directed at the reps will be directed at the dems by the kooks with interest.
The kooks want their pound of flesh from the dems and they're not going to stop.
Old 02-02-07, 01:12 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lord Rick
The "Christian" Right hasn't figured it out in 27 years.

They had a lot more influence in the rep party in the past and got some of their agenda passed.
Old 02-02-07, 01:30 PM
X
Administrator

It seems to me that the Christian Right, except for a few issues, mostly wants things not to be enacted, they want the status quo be maintained. (I suppose they got the Defense of Marriage Act and we all know who signed that.)

The radical left wants things to be done that change the status quo and that's harder to accommodate.
Old 02-02-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bhk
They had a lot more influence in the rep party in the past and got some of their agenda passed.
Like what, exactly?

Abortion-on-demand is still freely available and the Republican Party is riddled with gays.

Old 02-02-07, 02:21 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

DOMA springs to mind. As does not allowing openly practicing homosexuals into the military. Welfare reform too.