Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Dick Cheney speaks

Old 01-25-07, 01:41 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,520
Dick Cheney speaks

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Vice President Dick Cheney on Wednesday dismissed as "hogwash" the suggestion that blunders may have hurt the administration's credibility on Iraq and led members of Congress on both sides of the aisle to question President Bush's plan to send more troops to Baghdad.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, conducted a day after Bush delivered his State of the Union address, Cheney was asked to respond to some Republicans in Congress who "are now seriously questioning your credibility, because of the blunders and the failures."

To that, Cheney answered, "Wolf, Wolf, I simply don't accept the premise of your question. I just think it's hogwash."

Cheney said the administration is committed to moving ahead with its plan to send more troops to Baghdad, even if Congress passes a resolution in opposition.

"It won't stop us," he said. "And it would be, I think, detrimental from the standpoint of the troops."

If U.S. forces were to pull out of Iraq, "we would simply validate the terrorists' strategy that says the Americans will not stay to complete the task ... that we don't have the stomach for the fight. That's the biggest threat."

He added, "The notion that somehow the effort hasn't been worth it, or that we shouldn't go ahead and complete the task, is just dead wrong."

Cheney said the U.S.-led ouster of Saddam Hussein was the right move.

"The world is much safer today because of it," Cheney said.

"There have been three national elections in Iraq. There's a democracy established there, a constitution, a new democratically elected government.

"Saddam has been brought to justice and executed, his sons are dead, his government is gone. And the world is better off for it," he said.

Had Hussein been allowed to remain at the helm of Iraq, "he would, at this point, be engaged in a nuclear arms race with [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad, his blood enemy next door in Iran."

Still, Cheney acknowledged "ongoing problems" in Iraq, where an insurgency is blamed for dozens of Iraqi deaths per day and there have been more than 3,000 U.S. military fatalities over the course of the nearly four-year-old war.

"There's problems -- ongoing problems. But we have, in fact, accomplished our objectives of getting rid of the old regime, and there is a new regime in place that's been there for less than a year, far too soon for you guys to write them off."

He added, "We still have more work to do to get a handle on the security situation, and the president's put a plan in place to do that."

Asked to describe the biggest mistake made by U.S. war planners, Cheney said, "I think we underestimated the extent to which 30 years of Saddam's rule had really hammered the population, especially the Shia population, into submissiveness. It's very hard for them to stand up and take responsibility, in part because anybody who's done that in the past have had their heads chopped off."

Asked about criticism from a conservative group about the pregnancy of his openly gay daughter Mary, who is in a relationship with a female partner, Cheney expressed irritation with the question.

And the vice president carefully avoided talk about the 2008 presidential race beyond expressing outright opposition to Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York "because she's a Democrat" and saying he and Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona "agree on many things and disagree on others."

While refusing otherwise to speculate on the 2008 campaign, Cheney said Clinton will not be president, and even if she were to win she wouldn't make a good chief executive.

"I don't agree with her philosophically and from a policy standpoint," the vice president said.

McCain, like Clinton a likely presidential aspirant, said last week that President Bush has "been very badly served by both the vice president and, most of all, [former] Secretary of Defense" Donald Rumsfeld.

But Cheney shrugged off McCain's comments, calling the Arizona senator a "good man."

Cheney defended Rumsfeld for doing a "superb job" in his six years in the Bush administration.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/...ney/index.html

Turns out, classicman and Vice President Dick Cheney are more alike than any of us knew!

Differences between classicman and Vice President Cheney: classicman isn't a douche, wheras the comments about Mary Cheney and Senator Clinton -- not to mention the unwavering praise for Secretary Rumsfeld -- reveal that the Vice President is.
JasonF is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 04:48 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Working for Gizmonic Institute
Posts: 10,430
Originally Posted by JasonF
Differences between classicman and Vice President Cheney: classicman isn't a douche, wheras the comments about Mary Cheney and Senator Clinton -- not to mention the unwavering praise for Secretary Rumsfeld -- reveal that the Vice President is.
So defending your lesbian daughter makes you a douche?

And his comments about Senator Clinton? Oh, you mean this one:

BLITZER: Why?

CHENEY: Because she's a Democrat. I don't agree with her philosophically and from a policy standpoint.
Yup, thats utter douchebaggery there. Maybe you could read the actual transcript instead of relying on what CNN edits down for the myrmidons.
crazyronin is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 05:00 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,520
Originally Posted by crazyronin
So defending your lesbian daughter makes you a douche?

And his comments about Senator Clinton? Oh, you mean this one:

Yup, thats utter douchebaggery there. Maybe you could read the actual transcript instead of relying on what CNN edits down for the myrmidons.
I don't need to read the transcript; I heard the relevant portions of the interview.

Cheney wasn't defending his lesbian daughter. He was asked to defend his lesbian daughter from attacks from groups like Focus on the Family and told Wolf Blitzer that Wolf was out of line. Why not tell Focus on the Family that they were out of line?

As for Clinton, I found the "Because she's a Democrat" to be gratuitous and hearkened back to Cheney's repeated Chicken Little statements that voting for Democrats will lead to jihadists dancing in the streets of D.C. It's fine to say you disagree with somebody's policies and philosophies, but "Because she's a Democrat" came off as nothing more than an attempt to paint half the country as inherently unfit.
JasonF is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 05:11 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,391
Considering the "gold standard" this administration has set Cheney passing judgment on how Clinton would do as President is laughable.
WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 05:48 PM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 969
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Do you think it is ok for him to be asked about family matters that are strictly personal?
Cheney is second in a party that has attacked families like his daughter and the Republican party is pretty anti gay and lesbian. The question about why one lesbian couple is unfit to raise children, yet his lesbian daughter is fit to raise kids is a simple one. If one gay couple is unfit raise a kid, why is Cheney's gay daughter fit raise one?
cinten is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 05:58 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Maybe he doesn't approve of her daughter's decision, but sure as well won't criticize her in a fucking CNN interview. It's none of their business.
Maybe he does approve but doesn't want to admit it because of his base.
Ranger is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 06:11 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,422
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Maybe he doesn't approve of her daughter's decision, but sure as well won't criticize her in a fucking CNN interview. It's none of their business.
Bingo. That's exactly the way I see it.
General Zod is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 06:34 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,520
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Do you think it is ok for him to be asked about family matters that are strictly personal? Why don't these reporters bring up as well Hillary's douche brother every time they interview her?
Bullshit. Focus on the Family and other groups made it personal when they said that people like Mary Cheney were not fit to raise children.

Here's the relevant portion of the transcript:

BLITZER: You know, we’re out of time, but a couple of issues I want to raise with you: your daughter, Mary. She's pregnant. All of us are happy she’s going to have a baby. You’re going to have another grandchild. Some of the -- some critics are suggesting -- for example, a statement from someone representing Focus on the Family, "Mary Cheney's pregnancy raises the question of what's best for children. Just because it's possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father doesn't mean that it's best for the child." Do you want to respond to that?
CHENEY: No.
BLITZER: She's, obviously, a good daughter --
CHENEY: I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf. And obviously I think the world of both my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question.
BLITZER: I think all of us appreciate --
CHENEY: I think you're out of line.
BLITZER: We like your daughters. Believe me, I'm very sympathetic to Liz and to Mary. I like them both. That was a question that’s come up, and it’s a responsible, fair question.
CHENEY: I just fundamentally disagree with you.
BLITZER: I want to congratulate you on having another grandchild.
Where did Blitzer cross the line? Blitzer's question -- once you get rid of the excess verbiage and pleasantries -- was basically "Do you want to respond to Focus on the Family?" I just don't see how that's inappropriate.

And about him not liking Hillary because she's a democrat, when was the last time a prominent democrat said anything nice about Cheney or Bush? Why don't you call them douches as well?
If somebody said that George Bush was not a good President simply because he's a Republican, then hell yes, I'd call them names.

And yes, there are many things inherently wrong with the democratic party.
JasonF is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 06:43 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Wolf seems a little more in love with Cheney's family that I would have guessed. I wonder if it is the same way Connie Chung loved Newt's mom.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 06:58 PM
  #10  
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749
Remember when Clinton blew his cool with Chris Wallace? There were fawning articles written about how it was OK to get angry. Now we have Cheney who stays calm and collected during the interview(I saw it). Doesn't get angry at all and is described by the enemedia as losing his cool when he didn't.

It fits their template so they run it as fact when it isn't anywhere near the truth.
bhk is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 07:25 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Vice President Dick Cheney on Wednesday dismissed as "hogwash" the suggestion that blunders may have hurt the administration's credibility on Iraq and led members of Congress on both sides of the aisle to question President Bush's plan to send more troops to Baghdad.
Suddenly, <b>classicman</b>'s glowing praise of Dick Cheney's appearances on Meet the Press makes so much more sense.
Breakfast with Girls is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 07:29 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,520
Originally Posted by bhk
Remember when Clinton blew his cool with Chris Wallace? There were fawning articles written about how it was OK to get angry. Now we have Cheney who stays calm and collected during the interview(I saw it). Doesn't get angry at all and is described by the enemedia as losing his cool when he didn't.

It fits their template so they run it as fact when it isn't anywhere near the truth.
Do you not see the difference between Wallace's questions (which were basically "isn't 9/11 your fault?") and Blitzer's (which were basically "do you have anything to say to the people who are attacking your daughter?")
JasonF is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 07:34 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Do you think it is ok for him to be asked about family matters that are strictly personal?
Oh man, that is rich.

Surely the Republicans never went after Bill Clinton for personal family matters.
Numanoid is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 07:35 PM
  #14  
bhk
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Right of Atilla The Hun
Posts: 19,749


I saw the interview Wallace didn't say: "Isn't 9/11 your fault?". He asked if Clinton thought he should have tried harder to get Bin Laden. But it is typical of the lamestream liberal media to fall down on their usual kneeling position in front of Clinton by suggesting that it's good to get angry while making up a story about how Cheney lost his cool when that didn't actually happen.
bhk is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 07:49 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,527
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Maybe he doesn't approve of her daughter's decision, but sure as well won't criticize her in a fucking CNN interview. It's none of their business.
So then why is it the business of the some right-wingers to tell America what families should be like?
hahn is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 07:52 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Maybe he doesn't approve of her daughter's decision, but sure as well won't criticize her in a fucking CNN interview. It's none of their business.
Precisely. And its none of my business, none of your business and none of the federal government's business. Yet its Cheney and the Republican party that use this very issue as a wedge to divide the country. Its the Republican party and notably the religious right who are vehemently opposed to these so-called deviant families.

Cheney is a weasel who either disapproves of his own daughter and lies about it OR approves and won't speak out against the base.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 07:54 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Working for Gizmonic Institute
Posts: 10,430
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
All the women Clinton harassed were related to him?
Well he is from Arkansas...
crazyronin is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 07:58 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,527
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
All the women Clinton harassed were related to him?
If Bill were single, then the Monica Lewinsky thing wouldn't have been a scandal. The reason it was a scandal was because he was married. Therefore, I presume that the outrage was on behalf of his wife (eg family), Hillary. Which I find quite funny.
hahn is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 08:02 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,527
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
They have a right to their opinion (which I disagree with, btw).
Maybe you missed out on the attempts to legislate the legitimacy of heterosexual families by excluding anyone else who didn't fit the description.
hahn is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 08:05 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: the 870
Posts: 21,176
Originally Posted by crazyronin
Well he is from Arkansas...
Oh that's rich
Bacon is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 08:29 PM
  #21  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by hahn
If Bill were single, then the Monica Lewinsky thing wouldn't have been a scandal. The reason it was a scandal was because he was married. Therefore, I presume that the outrage was on behalf of his wife (eg family), Hillary. Which I find quite funny.
The scumbag cheated on his wife, in the oval office. He shoved a cigar in a slutty interns' vagina. It's the act that matters, not wether or not we feel sorry for his wife.

Cheney, however, commited the crime of having a lesbian daughter, who I'm sure he loves and does not want to condemn on national TV. What a douche!

Lets all not be obtuse here. Wolff Shithead wanted to make Cheney look like a hypocrite, and brought up his daughter in order to do so.
Frouhaha is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 08:35 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Another difference between me and Cheney - I never shot anyone in the face while quail hunting.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 08:43 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Working for Gizmonic Institute
Posts: 10,430
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Oh that's rich
Thought that would bring you out of the fog.

If he was from Maine I would have said the same thing (well except for saying "Well he is from Maine" instead of Arkansas...duh!) and I guarrantee I would get laughs from some Mainers.
crazyronin is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 10:06 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Nobody took that seriously, and it was never intended to go anywhere. Yes, that's cheap pandering, but what else is new in politics?
That is so ridiculously hypocritical. I can guarantee you there were plenty of gays and straight people alike who care about equality that took that issue pretty seriously.

So when someone wants to intrude on the personal lives of Democrats (i.e., Clinton) or gays, that's ok, but when someone wants to intrude on the personal life of a Republican (to expose his blatant hypocrisy), that's off limits? Just trying to make sure I understand your position here.
StealthStratos is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 10:15 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,527
Originally Posted by Frouhaha
The scumbag cheated on his wife...
So you ARE offended on behalf of Hillary. How noble of you. I presume you will be voting for her in 2008 then?

Originally Posted by Frouhaha
He shoved a cigar in a slutty interns' vagina.
So now you're defending Monica's honor? Did I miss the part where this was against Monica's will? So he's a scumbag and she's a slut. You're really going to claim that GWB is an honorable man?

Originally Posted by Frouhaha
It's the act that matters, not wether or not we feel sorry for his wife.
So nobody got hurt, but it's still a criminal act. It's been more than 6 years and people like you STILL can't get over it. Who exactly are you angry for? Hillary? Monica? The American people who are forever shamed and dishonored by an act which is surpassed daily on primetime TV?
hahn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.