Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

American Troops Dissed by Bargain Mattress Company

Old 01-23-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

American Troops Dissed by Bargain Mattress Company

Web Site Kicks Sand in Faces of GIs in Iraq Asking for Mats to Ease Hardship of Sleeping on Ground

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

An American GI assigned to one of the harshest posts in Iraq had a simple request last week for a Wisconsin mattress company: send some floor mats to help ease the hardship of sleeping on the cold, bug-infested ground.

What he got, instead, was a swift kick from the company's Web site, which not only refused the request but added insult to injury with the admonition, "If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq."

Army Sgt. Jason Hess, stationed in Taji, Iraq, with the 1st Cavalry Division, said he emailed his request to Discount-mats.com because he and his fellow soldiers sleep on the cold ground, which contains sand mites, sand flies and other disease carriers.

In his email, dated Jan. 16, 2007, he asked the Web-based company, registered to Faisal Khetani, an American Muslim of Pakistani descent:

"Do you ship to APO (military) addresses? I'm in the 1st Cavalry Division stationed in Iraq and we are trying to order some mats but we are looking for ships to APO first."

On the same day, Hess received this reply:

"SGT Hess,

Request Denied. We do not ship to APO addresses, and even if we did, we would NEVER ship to Iraq. If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq.

Bargain Suppliers
Discount-Mats.com"

Khetani on Monday told FOX News that the person responsible for the email reply had been fired. The Web site, meanwhile, has been temporarily taken down.

Hess emailed that he has since found two mat suppliers willing to ship to an APO address in Iraq.

Amazing. I know we are supposed to comment more on articles, but I'm sort of speechless on these cold-hearted bastards.
Old 01-23-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds more like they were "dissed" by one bad employee at the company (who was quickly fired) rather than the company itself. But FOX News (or any large news site for that matter) has never been one to let facts get in the way of a good headline.
Old 01-23-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

An American GI, in Iraq, e-mailed a company owned by a Muslim to send him some floor mats? Someone tell me this is a joke and this story was made-up.

And if it's true, Americans have forever forfeited the right to make fun of the Canadian military.
Old 01-23-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris
An American GI, in Iraq, e-mailed a company owned by a Muslim to send him some floor mats? Someone tell me this is a joke and this story was made-up.

And if it's true, Americans have forever forfeited the right to make fun of the Canadian military.
Yeah, before ordering from any company online I first do in depth research to find the religion of the sites owner. I can't believe this lazy dumbass didn't do this.

Regardless, I'm sure the "single person responsible" was quickly fired before the media became involved.
Old 01-23-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

story on snopes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/apo.asp
Old 01-23-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Am I the only who thinks this is funny? I mean, come on. Some random employee at "bargain-mats.com" says something rude to a soldier? The guy is probably just bitter that he works at a crappy dot com.

The better question: if it's true they get sick from sleeping on the ground, why doesn't the army supply them with mats?
Old 01-23-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Am I the only who thinks this is funny? I mean, come on. Some random employee at "bargain-mats.com" says something rude to a soldier? The guy is probably just bitter that he works at a crappy dot com.

The better question: if it's true they get sick from sleeping on the ground, why doesn't the army supply them with mats?
Exactly my point. And yes, it's funny.
Old 01-23-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
They only get $7.25 billion a month - you want they should waste some of that on mats?
Old 01-23-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's no big deal. I'm sure it's a PR mess for the company but they dealt with it. I would like to think that even in the difficult position our soldiers are in, some smartass remark from some faceless person putting out their opinion would not fluster them. Besides shit like this always works out because other companies jump to help out once they hear about it.

I will say that telling the Soldier what he did was kinda silly because it's not like that soldier has any control over what he has to do.
Old 01-24-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
In his email, dated Jan. 16, 2007, he asked the Web-based company, registered to Faisal Khetani, an American Muslim of Pakistani descent:

"Do you ship to APO (military) addresses? I'm in the 1st Cavalry Division stationed in Iraq and we are trying to order some mats but we are looking for ships to APO first."

On the same day, Hess received this reply:

"SGT Hess,

Request Denied. We do not ship to APO addresses, and even if we did, we would NEVER ship to Iraq. If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq.

Bargain Suppliers
Discount-Mats.com"
I like how Fox News (or someone) added the "Request Denied" part. http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/apo.asp