Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Al-Maliki takes a page from the White House playbook

Old 01-18-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Al-Maliki takes a page from the White House playbook

Al-Maliki hits back at Bush, Rice criticism

By Leila Fadel
McClatchy/Tribune newspapers
Published January 18, 2007

BAGHDAD -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki voiced frustration with President Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Wednesday, saying their recent criticism of the Iraqi government probably helped the "terrorists."

Al-Maliki, whose relationship with the United States is strained, was especially upset about Rice's comment last week before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee when she said that al-Maliki's government is working on "borrowed time."

"Such statements give moral boosts to the terrorists and push them towards making an extra effort and making them believe that they have defeated the American administration, but I can tell you that they haven't defeated the Iraqi government," he said during a meeting with a handful of reporters.

The interview was al-Maliki's first public comments since Bush announced last week that he is sending 21,500 additional American troops to Iraq. The Times of London posted audio of the interview on its Web site. McClatchy Newspapers didn't take part in the interview.

Al-Maliki also criticized Bush for saying during an interview Tuesday with PBS' Jim Lehrer that the chaotic execution of Saddam Hussein looked like a "revenge killing."

"I would like to correct President Bush that Saddam, that person, was not subjected to any act of revenge, any physical attack," al-Maliki said. "It was a judicial process that ended with him executed or sentenced to death according to Iraqi law, which sentences such criminals to death."

Al-Maliki said he thought Bush was responding to news media pressure. "I know President Bush and I know him as a strong person who does not get affected by the media pressure, but it seems that the pressure ... led to the president giving this statement," he said.

Al-Maliki has come under increasing pressure to disarm Shiite militias allied with his government, especially the Mahdi Army, which is loyal to anti-American Shiite cleric Moqtada Sadr and is believed to be behind the killings of hundreds of Sunnis across the capital. Sadr's supporters hold five seats in al-Maliki's Cabinet and form the largest bloc in the Iraqi parliament.

In Wednesday's interview, al-Maliki said that Iraqi security forces this week had detained 400 Shiite militiamen affiliated with Sadr, the Los Angeles Times reported. He offered no further details.

The prime minister also promised a continuing crackdown, warning that no one--including Sadr--would be above the law.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ationworld-hed

Hmmmm ... defelcting criticism by claiming that your critics embolden the terrorists merely by voicing their dissatisfaction with you. Where have I heard that one before?
Old 01-18-07, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonF
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ationworld-hed

Hmmmm ... defelcting criticism by claiming that your critics embolden the terrorists merely by voicing their dissatisfaction with you. Where have I heard that one before?

You've heard it here before, If you disagree with Bush it means you love terrorists. If you think torture is wrong it means you want America to be atacked again. It's a common attack that certain members have made against me.
Old 01-18-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like the puppet is no longer interested in being told what to do by the "decider"

He should tell Bush to F%*! OFF!! and get his troops out of his country

Last edited by shanester; 01-18-07 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-18-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shanester
Sounds like the puppet is no longer interested in being told what to do by the "decider"

It's inappropriate to tell the President of the United States to fuck off. In polite society, that kind of language is only to be directed at Senators.
Old 01-18-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if the White House likes being treated this way. At least now they know how it feels.
Old 01-18-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dream on.
Old 01-18-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm sure on a personal safety issue, he's REALLY eager to see the US pull out completely. I'm sure he'd have a bright future.