Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

We had a chance to have a normal relationship with Iran back in 2003

Old 01-18-07, 12:29 PM

We had a chance to have a normal relationship with Iran back in 2003

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6274147.stm

Last Updated: Thursday, 18 January 2007, 10:55 GMT

Washington 'snubbed Iran offer'

Iran offered the US a package of concessions in 2003, but it was rejected, a senior former US official has told the BBC's Newsnight programme.

Tehran proposed ending support for Lebanese and Palestinian militant groups and helping to stabilise Iraq following the US-led invasion.

Offers, including making its nuclear programme more transparent, were conditional on the US ending hostility.

But Vice-President Dick Cheney's office rejected the plan, the official said.

The offers came in a letter, seen by Newsnight, which was unsigned but which the US state department apparently believed to have been approved by the highest authorities.

In return for its concessions, Tehran asked Washington to end its hostility, to end sanctions, and to disband the Iranian rebel group the Mujahedeen-e-Khalq and repatriate its members.

Former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had allowed the rebel group to base itself in Iraq, putting it under US power after the invasion.

One of the then Secretary of State Colin Powell's top aides told the BBC the state department was keen on the plan - but was over-ruled.

"We thought it was a very propitious moment to do that," Lawrence Wilkerson told Newsnight.

"But as soon as it got to the White House, and as soon as it got to the Vice-President's office, the old mantra of 'We don't talk to evil'... reasserted itself."

Observers say the Iranian offer as outlined nearly four years ago corresponds pretty closely to what Washington is demanding from Tehran now.

Since that time, Lebanese guerrilla group Hezbollah inflicted significant military losses on the major US ally in the region, Israel, in the 2006 conflict and is now claiming increased political power in Lebanon.

Palestinian militant group Hamas won power in parliamentary elections a year ago, opening a new chapter of conflict in Gaza and the West Bank.

The UN Security Council has imposed sanctions on Iran following its refusal to suspend its uranium enrichment programme.

Iran denies US accusations that its nuclear programme is designed to produce weapons.
I don't think this story has been posted yet.

If this is all true, it just seems that our people in power will not deal faithfully with the governments that they term the 'axis of evil'. This type of attitude probably has done us more harm than good.

Chris
Old 01-18-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

If you can trust that they would hold up their end of the bargain. It seems incompatible with what they say and do today.
Old 01-18-07, 01:21 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, N. Korea kept their end of the bargain.

Realistically, we had a great opportunity to prevent radical Islam from getting a whole country to train terrorits and get nuclear bombs. That opportunity passed when Jimmy Carter didn't do anything about them back when they took over our embassy.
Old 01-18-07, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
If you can trust that they would hold up their end of the bargain. It seems incompatible with what they say and do today.
But, we could have at least tried. I don't think the situtation would have been as worse today, if we had.

Chris
Old 01-18-07, 01:23 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
But, we could have at least tried. I don't think the situtation would have been as worse today, if we had.

Chris
See that way, the situation would be the same but like N. Korea, they would have had a lot of our money as well.
Old 01-18-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this report until you know the specific details. "Corresponds pretty closely...." could mean anything.
Old 01-18-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

As for a normal relationship, I'd say given what has happened over the last 60 years between the US and Iran, we are a long ways away from having a truly normal relationship.
Old 01-18-07, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
As for a normal relationship, I'd say given what has happened over the last 60 years between the US and Iran, we are a long ways away from having a truly normal relationship.
Okay, 'better' relations.

Chris
Old 01-19-07, 09:29 AM
Admin-MemeCat

As far as Iran goes. I think we need to talk to them. We might not necessarily give them anything, but we should at least talk. The stonewalling technique doesn't work.
Old 01-19-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
As far as Iran goes. I think we need to talk to them. We might not necessarily give them anything, but we should at least talk. The stonewalling technique doesn't work.
Agreed. It amazes me that people think we shouldn't talk to countries like Iran or North Korea. We talked to the Soviet Union -- we can certainly talk to these pissant little dictators.
Old 01-19-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That would have been my concern as well, but frankly it doesn't appear that they were asking for a whole lot. Might have been worth the risk. Apparently, the State Department thought so.
Old 01-19-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhk
Hey, N. Korea kept their end of the bargain.

Realistically, we had a great opportunity to prevent radical Islam from getting a whole country to train terrorits and get nuclear bombs. That opportunity passed when Jimmy Carter didn't do anything about them back when they took over our embassy.
If you go back far enough, you can always blame the other side of the aisle.

Personally, I think Lincoln really dropped the ball on this one.
Old 01-19-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, this is sort of dependent on when in 2003 this offer occurred. If it was in late March, I can understand why it was rejected. If it was later in the year, well... context is everything with something like this.
Old 01-19-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We could have a normal relationship with them today if we would just fund their silly nuclear program.
Old 01-19-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe that's what Tehran is saying about us now. That's the problem. The US is just like everyone else. When you're like everyone else, you can't be taken seriously and you certainly cannot demand things.

Btw, China has conducted a missile test today...
Old 01-19-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, I'm sure Iran would have held up entirely to the agreement. Just like our "agreement" with N. Korea...or the UN resolutions with Iraq, etc. etc.
Old 01-19-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
yeah, I'm sure Iran would have held up entirely to the agreement. Just like our "agreement" with N. Korea...or the UN resolutions with Iraq, etc. etc.
From what I understand, Israel has violated far more UN resolutions than Iraq.

Old 01-19-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
Neither do scare tactics, especially when countries like Iran and Syria see what's going on in Iraq.
Old 01-19-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114

Silly statement.
Old 01-19-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Silly statement.
Silly reply.
Old 01-19-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114

That's right, FAR more:

http://www.unwatch.org/site/c.bdKKIS...tiSemitism.htm
Old 01-19-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm led to understand that Hitler only wanted the Sudetenland.

If we had only had a conversation, imagine how many lives could have been saved.
Old 01-19-07, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crazyronin
I'm led to understand that Hitler only wanted the Sudetenland.

If we had only had a conversation, imagine how many lives could have been saved.
I think it's time we officially brought any mention of appeasement under the umbrella covered by Godwin's law. With some people anything short of invasion is appeasement, which is tad messed up.
Old 01-19-07, 11:51 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Offers, including making its nuclear programme more transparent, were conditional on the US ending hostility.

There's the rub. they wanted to keep making nukes. with their "programme" man what a lame spelling of program. does the extra "me" at the end make the word better?
Old 01-20-07, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jadow

There's the rub. they wanted to keep making nukes. with their "programme" man what a lame spelling of program. does the extra "me" at the end make the word better?
That's the British way and by coincidence, our American English comes from their British English.

Chris

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.