Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Why so many scandals? (Rep. Weldon "under investigation")

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 10-14-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean, shouldn't the media be helping cover them up? It's amazing that the party in power, especially one whose sitting administration is so good at spin, doesn't have the ability to clamp down on this.

Anyway, first we had Plamegate and the Abramoff (sp?) scandals.

Then we had DeLay.

Then we had Foley, the throes of which we're still in...

Harry Reid has barely been mentioned, because the scandal is puny in comparison to others...

NOW we have <a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061014/ap_on_go_co/congressman_investigation_4" target="_weldonsfavoritism">Rep. Weldon</a> too.

This scandal isn't and won't be as big as the Foley fiasco and I realize the election's around the corner - hell, I have my absentee ballot in hand - but does or will anybody care about this new "scandal"?

It's stupid to compare this new scandal to the Reid one, do you think this new Weldon investigation is going to stick? I'd say it will stick more than Reid's simply because Weldon's a Republican and the country's in a foul mood when it comes to current Congressional Republican ethics.

I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say by starting this thread. This new scandal just seems like some "intrepid" reporter digging up shit, throwing it at the wall, and hoping it sticks.

Anyway...

-ringding-

Edited to add the article text, in the spoiler below:
Spoiler:

FBI probing Rep. Weldon, his daughter

By KIMBERLY HEFLING and LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer2 hours, 42 minutes ago

The FBI is investigating whether Rep. Curt Weldon (news, bio, voting record), R-Pa., used his influence to secure lobbying and consulting contracts for his daughter, two people familiar with the inquiry said Saturday.

The inquiry focuses on lobbying contracts worth $1 million that Weldon's daughter, Karen Weldon, obtained from foreign clients and whether they were assisted by the congressman, they said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because of the confidentiality of the criminal investigation.

Weldon, a 10-term Republican from the Philadelphia suburbs, long has denied any wrongdoing, and his top aide said Saturday no one had notified him of an investigation.

"I think if there was an investigation, somebody would have contacted us," said Russ Caso, Weldon's chief of staff.

Caso said Weldon and his staff were "100 percent caught off guard" when they learned of the investigation, first reported late Friday by McClatchy Newspapers. This account cited two individuals with specific knowledge of the existence of the investigation; they declined to be identified because of the confidentiality of criminal investigations.

Caso, whose boss is in a tight race for re-election on Nov. 7 against Democrat Joe Sestak, tried to cast doubt on reports of the investigation. "Unidentified sources mean nothing," Caso said. "There's no substance in that story. It's a flimsy story."

Two people familiar with the investigation told the AP on Saturday that the inquiry was being handled by agents from the FBI's field offices in Washington and Philadelphia and was being coordinated by the Justice Department's Public Integrity Section. Spokesmen for the Justice Department and the FBI declined comment Saturday.

Those two people familiar with the investigation confirmed that federal agents were examining Weldon's work between 2002 and 2004 to help two Russian companies and two Serbian brothers connected to former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic. They had hired Solutions North America Inc., a company operated by Karen Weldon and Charles Sexton, a Republican ally of the congressman.

Weldon, vice chairman of the House Armed Services committee, is a Russian speaker regarded by some as a foreign policy expert who has clashed at times with the Bush administration.

Over the last few days, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has mailed fliers to voters in Weldon's district accusing Karen Weldon of getting help from her father on lobbying projects.

Michael Puppio, Weldon's campaign manager, questioned the timing of the mailing and published reports about the investigation. He accused Democrats of "attempting to smear the congressman and his entire family" in the final weeks of the campaign.

Jen Psaki, a spokeswoman for the DCCC, said it's "bizarre, paranoid and absurd" for the Weldon campaign to imply there's a link in the timing of the mailing and the published reports.

The Weldon investigation comes at a critical time for Republicans who are fighting to maintain a majority in the House of Representatives in a midst of scandals.

On Friday, Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, pleaded guilty in the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal, which has touched on federal lawmakers, former aides and members of the Bush administration.

At the same time, an inquiry is under way on Capitol Hill into whether Republican House leaders or their top aides covered up questionable behavior of former Rep. Mark Foley toward teenage males who worked as House pages.
Old 10-14-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How soon we forget William Jefferson (D-Louisiana)
Old 10-14-06, 08:00 PM

Received 280 Likes on 203 Posts
It's part of politics. These guys don't climb to the top by playing fair. For every scandal that gets reported think of how many get covered up and go unnoticed.
Old 10-14-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 580 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
Why so many scandals?
October... Election year.
Old 10-14-06, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by John Galt
It's part of politics. These guys don't climb to the top by playing fair. For every scandal that gets reported think of how many get covered up and go unnoticed.
Originally Posted by General Zod
October... Election year.
Yes, but... In my short decade and a half of political awareness, I don't remember there ever being this many of them, these two factors aside.
Old 10-14-06, 08:15 PM

In that case, the political environment has changed. The two parties are always out to get each other now. There's obviously always been fighting and disagrement among parties, but in recent years it has gotten nastier and the parties are much more bitter towards one another. Used to, congressmen from opposing parties would constantly get together for drinks and such after work and were able to put politics behind them, nowadays they just socialize within their own party and when they get together all they do is bash the other party which just creates even more hatred.
Old 10-14-06, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, but... In my short decade and a half of political awareness, I don't remember there ever being this many of them, these two factors aside.
W/ the I'net and all the amature reporters/fact checkers it's getting harder to hide things as well as once it is reported w/ blogs and forums like this it's easier to get the message out.
Old 10-14-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't there at least the slightest possibility that this could be related to the K Street Project? I mean, a lot of these scandals seem related to lobbyists... and the whole K Street Project was an attempt to curry exclusive favor from lobbyists...

That, and I think the current GOP leadership is way too beholden to large corporations. It's one thing to consider the interests of corporate America when deciding on legislation; it's another thing to let corporations write the legislation itself, and dictate policy.

I know, I know, we're all supposed to pretend that these kind of scandals are completely bipartisan... but at least before, when the Democrats were involved, there was at least the appearence of proprietry. Sure, there were bad apples in the barrel, but it wasn't this widespread, this indoctrinated.
Old 10-14-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo
... but at least before, when the Democrats were involved, there was at least the appearence of proprietry.
Old 10-15-06, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Republicans are spending millions of dollars on negative advertising, and Democrats are simply responding by exposing corrupt conservatives. I wonder which will have more effect at the polls.
Old 10-15-06, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I miss the appearence of propiety when the Democrats were involved in scandals.
Old 10-15-06, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Me too. I want more oral sex, goddamnit.
Old 10-15-06, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
Why so many scandals?

There's only one Scandal:

Old 10-15-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I miss the appearence of propiety when the Democrats were involved in scandals.
I'm antipiety myself.
Old 10-15-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's because when one party controls all 3 branches of government, there are no checks and balances.

The K street project just makes it worse.
Old 10-15-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Me too. I want more oral sex, goddamnit.
don't we all.
Old 10-15-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by grundle
There's only one Scandal:

You need to get over her. After all, you should accept that she said goodbye to you.
Old 10-15-06, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
I know, I know, we're all supposed to pretend that these kind of scandals are completely bipartisan... but at least before, when the Democrats were involved, there was at least the appearence of proprietry. Sure, there were bad apples in the barrel, but it wasn't this widespread, this indoctrinated.
That's funny, I haven't noticed any appearance of propriety in the scandals the Democrats have been involved in in your state legislature.
Old 10-15-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by John Galt
That's funny, I haven't noticed any appearance of propriety in the scandals the Democrats have been involved in in your state legislature.
As I said, there are bad apples in the barrell. Especially in the state house. But it's not systematic.

And my hunch is that Black loses his speaker's seat with the new legislature.
Old 10-15-06, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
You need to get over her. After all, you should accept that she said goodbye to you.
Ha ha ha!

Very good!
Old 10-15-06, 11:43 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Because of human nature.
The powerful always have a feeling that because of that power, they can get away with things ordinary people cannot. Add to that the new media in which information can get around the world in less than one hour. Also the tone of the old media has changed as well. Previously be it athletes or politicians, reporters didn't try to ferret out so many things in their personal lives(Mickey Mantle's alcoholism, JFK's philandering etc..). That changed in the '70s.
Old 10-16-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Agents raid homes of Rep. Curt Weldon’s daughter, close friend

Federal agents raided the home of the daughter of U.S. Rep. Curt Weldon (R., Pa.) and his longtime friend Charlie Sexton this morning.

The agents departed Karen Weldon's three-story brick home on Queen Street in Philadelphia with arms loaded with boxes.

WOW! The hits just keep coming for Republicans. They are literally giving away seats as I definitely think this seat moves to leans Democratic. Sestak was a Rear Admiral in the navy and will be a great representative. Go Sestak!
Old 10-16-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

I certainly hope that Weldon loses his seat. He richly deserves to lose it.
Old 10-16-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't live in Foley's or Weldon's districts so I really could care less. I'm not going to vote for or against either candidate running for my district because of something that these two bozos did.

I would however like to see more of the corrupt stuff that Bob Menendez in NJ has done to come out and get more attention. But he has a big ole D after his name and that is all that matters in NJ. This guy steered at least hundreds of thousands of dollars his way and that is just as bad as what Weldon is being accused off.
Old 10-16-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chowderhead
Federal agents raided the home of the daughter of U.S. Rep. Curt Weldon (R., Pa.) and his longtime friend Charlie Sexton this morning.
Beat's so lonely.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.