Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

2008 political derby power rankings

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-13-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://politicalderby.com/?page_id=17

Still has McCain (R) vs Hillary (D)

Although I'm excited to see Pence on the list and Bayh's rank sends shudders through me.

Mark Sanford - Still says he’s not interested, but seems like the type who could be “drafted” by the grassroots.

and I had to chuckle Dianne Feinstein - Potentially less repulsive to swing voters than Hillary?

Last edited by VinVega; 01-29-07 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-13-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Shouldn't this thread be integrated with the other election threads?
Old 09-13-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Is there another 2008 election thread?

I'm surprised they have Romney so high. Is he really considered a front-runner?
Old 09-13-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk God

I was merely playing with a couple of moderators that we have.

I think it should be a separate thread.

One again - McCain has 40% negatives among GOP voters. Has any candidate ever won the party's nomination with that percentage of negatives?

Romney - religion & name - enough said
Old 09-13-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a recent poll that said the Guiliani, not McCain, is who Republicans would like to see run in 2008. What's the difference?
Old 09-13-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NCMojo
There was a recent poll that said the Guiliani, not McCain, is who Republicans would like to see run in 2008. What's the difference?
Not a damn bit if you ask me!
Old 09-13-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk God

And neither one has a chance of winning the Republican nomination - unless there's a tsunami in the Republican voter demographics between now and 2008.

Of course either one that change parties by then.
Old 09-13-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In looking over that site... you include Tom Vilsack and Tom Daschle, but not Al Gore and Joe Biden??? That's crazy talk.
Old 09-13-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2
And neither one has a chance of winning the Republican nomination - unless there's a tsunami in the Republican voter demographics between now and 2008.

Of course either one that change parties by then.
Aren't the Republicans all about electability, though? McCain and Guiliani are the absolute best bets for winning in 2008. Everyone else on the GOP is starting the race ten yards back.
Old 09-13-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pence has electability. He was a radio DJ for years, he's got great persona.

McCain ONLY has 1 shot at winning, and that's if the Dem nominee is Hillary. Otherwise he has NO shot at winning in the primary or in the general. If it is McCain/Clinton I would again vote for a third party candidate.
Old 09-13-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Aren't the Republicans all about electability, though? McCain and Guiliani are the absolute best bets for winning in 2008. Everyone else on the GOP is starting the race ten yards back.
No, I don't agree.

If the nominee was McCain or Guiliani , a signficant portion of the Republican base would stay home on election day. Assuming the Democrats don't nominate Beelzebub, they would win - again assuming the voter demographics stay the way they are today, & I don't see any great change in that short of time. With the electorate divided the way it currently is - both parties have to turn out their base.

What will be more interesting, IMO, is if the Democrats gain control of Congress in 11/2006, will they be able to retain control in 11/2008?
Old 09-13-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am frankly mystified by the GOP's antagonism toward McCain and Guiliani. Is it a result of their being perceived as "moderate"? Do they not want someone from outside of the Washington power base? What is the deal?

As I see it, there are two ways we can recover from this partisan nightmare we've been living through. One is to give the Democrats complete control of eveything (somewhat unlikely) and force the Republicans to reinvent themselves once again if they want to reclaim their power base. (Actually, the GOP would just wait a few years until the Democrats start their infighting and squabbling once again, and then sweep back into power behind President Gingrich.)

Two (more likely) is the GOP runs someone like McCain or Guiliani who is acceptable to the middle-of-the-road Democrats, and who have a history of reaching across the aisle.
Old 09-13-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

McCain/Feingold is reason enough for me to intensely dislike the man. I would never vote for someone who slashed the Constitution like that POS legislation.
Old 09-13-06, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I see it, there are two ways we can recover from this partisan nightmare we've been living through. One is to give the Democrats complete control of eveything
Giving control to one side is what brought us to where we are today, how is turning it over completely to the other side going to solve anything? If the Dems gain complete control there will still be problems... they'll be different problems but the partisanship will continue. The real solution to partisanship IMHO is to break the monolopy the Republicats/Democans have on the political process, allow third parties and move things to more of a coalition type Gov't where multiple parties have to broker alliances in order to have controlling power. There will still be partisans there but by letting people join with the group they are really more alligned w/ (so the far left and right can have their own parties and there will probably be several parties in the middle) everything will be a little more above board and out in the open and since no one party will hopefully ever have enough power to have complete control deals will have to be made with other parties/groups.
Old 09-13-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

nemein
Old 09-13-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

neimen, you cut off the rest of my post again. The idea is that the Democrats get complete control -- then they screw everything up through infighting and pandering to special interest groups -- then the Republicans ride into Congress on a white horse as the new "reform party" behind President Coulter.

(And now, after typing those words, I am going to set myself on fire.)
Old 09-13-06, 09:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
neimen, you cut off the rest of my post again.
Mainly because it only seemed to be more of the same, and how am I supposed to take the notion of "President Coulter" seriously... The key to ending partisanship is to break this continual back and forth of party control (esp. one party being in complete control) and create some sort of system in which bargains have to be made. I'm pretty sure there is no way to force this to happen Constitutionally though so unfortunately I suspect it's not going to happen unless the people themselves decide to break w/ the major two and support third parties more.

Politicians are going to be partisan, it's their job. Only the people have the power to force a change but at the moment they don't seem interested in doing so. Too many people are too entrenched in their side's rhetoric and not enough care in general (we'll see but I'd be surprise if we break any turn out records this year even w/ how "motivated" everyone is)

Last edited by nemein; 09-13-06 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-13-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk God

I am frankly mystified by the GOP's antagonism toward McCain and Guiliani. Is it a result of their being perceived as "moderate"? Do they not want someone from outside of the Washington power base? What is the deal?
Guiliani: pro abortion, pro gun control, pro affirmative action, etc. That's why he's opposed by the Republican base.
Old 09-13-06, 09:47 AM
X
Administrator

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Romney is the dark horse candidate I've had my eye on for quite a while. He's not looking so dark horse now but most people still haven't noticed.
Old 09-13-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk God

McCain is rated as a moderate, populist, conservative on 'on the issues.'

The reason he has a problem with the Republican base - they don't trust him. He waffled, was wishy-washy on some issues near and dear to the Republican base's heart in his 2000 campaign.
Old 09-13-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nemein
Mainly because it only seemed to be more of the same, and how am I supposed to take the notion of "President Coulter" seriously...
Originally, I said "President Gingrich" which (unfortunately) should be taken a whole lot more seriously. Not in 2008, but in 2012 or 2016, especially if the Democrats screw things up.

I agree with your post about 3rd parties... I just have no idea how it will ever come to fruition. There's too much money invested into the two main political parties for an independent third party to break through...

... unless the Libertarians listen to my (frankly genius) plan and convince Michael Bloomberg to run under their ticket. I don't think he'd win... but he'd be the first serious third party threat since Teddy Roosevelt.
Old 09-13-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk God

IMO, the Republican candidate will be a conservative from the 'proper section of the country;' and, he will distance himself/herself from George W. Bush.

Maybe you Repubs can tell us who will fit that bill?
Old 09-13-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

... unless the Libertarians listen to my (frankly genius) plan and convince Michael Bloomberg to run under their ticket. I don't think he'd win... but he'd be the first serious third party threat since Teddy Roosevelt.
Ugh. I can't imagine a worse idea. He'd try to ram a national smoking ban through Congress and demand executive control of the Department of Education. That sure sounds like a Libertarian to me!

Oh, and he'd be labled as hostile to religion because he got rid of free parking on Sundays. Then he'd fire his chief of staff for playing computer solitaire on his lunch break and get impeached.
Old 09-13-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Ugh. I can't imagine a worse idea. He'd try to ram a national smoking ban through Congress and demand executive control of the Department of Education. That sure sounds like a Libertarian to me!

Oh, and he'd be labled as hostile to religion because he got rid of free parking on Sundays. Then he'd fire his chief of staff for playing computer solitaire on his lunch break and get impeached.

You may have a point. Perhaps Bloomberg would be a poor match for the Libertarian party.

Hey, I know -- what about Stephen Colbert?
Old 09-13-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You may have a point. Perhaps Bloomberg would be a poor match for the Libertarian party.

Hey, I know -- what about Stephen Colbert?
Now you're thinking reasonably! He's an observant Catholic, too, so he gets some points outside the traditional Libertarian base.

Does the Libertarian party have a base?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.