Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

2008 political derby power rankings

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2008 political derby power rankings

Old 02-04-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He would rescind the Bush tax cuts for those making over $200,000 per year.

He also would require that brokerage houses report capital gains to the IRS. I wasn't aware they didn't.
Old 02-04-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure they do since I got audited because of one last year.

edited: although that may have been a voluntary report and not a mandatory one
Old 02-04-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

If it's not a requirement - it certainly should be.
Old 02-04-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would think so as well.
Old 02-04-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.gao.gov/htext/d06603.html

Just read the first couple of paragraphs, it looks like it may be that people just don't understand how to report it correctly.

also:

When it comes to capital gains, however, the broker reports to the IRS only the proceeds from a person's securities sales (form 1099-B) without any information about the basis price and the consequent amount of capital gains or losses on those transactions. In other words, the IRS looking at the data officially reported to them by the broker has no idea or indication if that person had a capital gain or a capital loss. They only know that the person sold x-amount dollars worth of stocks and rely only on that person and that person alone to relate these figures to the basis prices, calculate and report on his return the amount of gain or loss.

I know this is true. The IRS saw that I sold stock and didn't report it so sent me a bill assuming the cost basis was 0. In reality the cost basis was the same as I sold at so the net gain was 0 (no taxes)

Last edited by Venusian; 02-04-07 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-05-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk God

The latest poll shows Hillary is leading in both NH and Iowa.
Old 02-05-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would you guys say Hillary is more divisive among Democrats or people in general? That is, is there a significant % of Democracts who don't like her? I can take a guess but it's purely on anecdotal evidence.

She's such a big candidate that I don't think there's really any room on the Democratic side for more than 2 contenders, and we know who one of those is already.
Old 02-06-07, 07:28 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Would you guys say Hillary is more divisive among Democrats or people in general? That is, is there a significant % of Democracts who don't like her? I can take a guess but it's purely on anecdotal evidence.

She's such a big candidate that I don't think there's really any room on the Democratic side for more than 2 contenders, and we know who one of those is already.
I think she causes divisions among the ranks of power in the Democratic party. The Clintons suck up a lot of oxygen within the party structure. I don't think she causes that much division among the average Dem voter. I don't hate her, I just don't think she can beat a Republican in a Presidential election and that's why I'm not voting for her in the primary. It was the same feeling I had for Kerry. When will the party learn that in the current political climate, running a Dem candidate from the Northeast is a sure fire bet to another loss?
Old 02-06-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk God

I think Hillary would have a more difficult time beating a Republican in the general election than some other Democrats would have.

However, if Iraq is still on the table in 11/2008, I think any Democrat can beat the Republican candidate.

If you believe one of those is Obama - you're sadly mistaken, IMO.
Old 02-06-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
If you believe one of those is Obama - you're sadly mistaken, IMO.
All of the money that isn't going to Hillary is going to Obama. Obama is starting to woo the Hollywood money too.
Old 02-06-07, 08:50 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Originally Posted by CRM114
All of the money that isn't going to Hillary is going to Obama. Obama is starting to woo the Hollywood money too.
It takes more than money. Howard Dean was a cash cow until the meltdown. Still any funding is welcome I'm sure with the Clinton money making machine in high gear.
Old 02-06-07, 08:54 AM
Admin-MemeCat

However, if Iraq is still on the table in 11/2008, I think any Democrat can beat the Republican candidate.
This I agree with. I do think that if things continue to flounder in Iraq, that the Republicans will begin to distance themselves from Bush by the late fall. This show of support with the filibuster of the Iraq resolution is the last pass Bush is going to get from the Congressional Republicans. I saw Chuck Schumer on one of the talking head shows and he thinks that Iraq won't be an issue for the 08 election. They will pull troops out because the Republicans will pressure them to.
Old 02-06-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
It takes more than money. Howard Dean was a cash cow until the meltdown. Still any funding is welcome I'm sure with the Clinton money making machine in high gear.
It was addressing the previous post about there "only being room for 2 contenders." I didn't say anything about anyone winning.

I do think Hillary is going to get a lot more female support then people think.
Old 02-06-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk God

According to the poll I cited above - 56% of the women favor Hillary - at least in NH & Iowa.

You've been listening to Chris Matthews too much.

Obama is dropping in the polls.

Don't you believe that will affect some folks decision to give him money?
Old 02-06-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, but OBama has 6 months at least before he starts losing financial support.

I don't think it even matters who the Dems run out of the current field. The Republicans will lose. Unless of course Iraq miraculously fixes itself.
Old 02-06-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think there is a big difference with voters speaking their mind during the mid-term elections recently, and doing the same when voting for the president. If hillary or obama is the candidate, I think the republicans win, almost no matter who they put up.
Originally Posted by CRM114
I don't think it even matters who the Dems run out of the current field. The Republicans will lose. Unless of course Iraq miraculously fixes itself.
Old 02-06-07, 12:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Obama is dropping in the polls.

Don't you believe that will affect some folks decision to give him money?
Senator Obama is not dropping in the polls, at least as far as I can see. He's gaining slightly, while Senator Clinton is gaining rapidly. It would be helpful if you would post numbers and trends rather than just inaccurate and incomplete information.

As far as who's getting money, if you were a rich Democrat and wanted to back an alternative to Senator Clinton, to whom would you give your money?
Old 02-06-07, 07:15 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Ooo, a wendersfan sighting!

Old 02-06-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dave99
I think there is a big difference with voters speaking their mind during the mid-term elections recently, and doing the same when voting for the president. If hillary or obama is the candidate, I think the republicans win, almost no matter who they put up.
I suppose. But I highly doubt a Repub backing the status quo and/or escalation in Iraq has any chance winning the Presidency. (This is barring any miraculous change in Iraq of course.)
Old 02-06-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Senator Obama is not dropping in the polls, at least as far as I can see. He's gaining slightly, while Senator Clinton is gaining rapidly. It would be helpful if you would post numbers and trends rather than just inaccurate and incomplete information.

As far as who's getting money, if you were a rich Democrat and wanted to back an alternative to Senator Clinton, to whom would you give your money?

He dropped 6 points in Iowa and 8 points in NH.

You can look up the numbers and who did the polling if you want to.

You left the forum in error and return to the forum in error.
Old 02-06-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You left the forum in error and return to the forum in error.
Did he guarantee a Miami win too in January 2003?
Old 02-07-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

From the other thread:

Chris Matthews: "We love good mayors because we love our cities and Giuliani is a
city guy . . . I'm so sick of Southern guys with ranches running this
country. I want a guy to run for president who doesn't have a f***ing ranch
. . ."

Brilliant.
Old 02-07-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Did you hear - Obama is quitting smoking.
Old 02-07-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

I see where Hillary has well over 11 million dollars cash on hand as of 1/31/07.

Chris Dodd is second.

Joe Biden is third.

I forget who is fourth.

Obama had about 600,000 on hand
Old 02-10-07, 12:19 PM
Banned

Is there anywhere I can watch Barack Obama make his historical announcement where he is announcing his presidency? All the news channels are just showing things he said....I want the whole speech.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.