DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   Nagin Wins Re-Election as New Orleans Mayor (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/466218-nagin-wins-re-election-new-orleans-mayor.html)

classicman2 05-21-06 07:43 AM

Nagin Wins Re-Election as New Orleans Mayor

CapitalNews.or

By MICHELLE ROBERTS, Associated Press Writer

Voters re-elected Mayor Ray Nagin, the colorful leader whose blunt style endeared him to some but outraged others after Hurricane Katrina, giving him four more years to oversee one of the largest rebuilding projects in U.S. history.

"This is a great day for the city of New Orleans. This election is over, and it's time for this community to start the healing process," Nagin said Saturday in a joyful victory speech.

"It's time for us to stop the bickering," he said. "It's time for us to stop measuring things in black and white and yellow and Asian. It's time for us to be one New Orleans."

Nagin won with 52.3 percent, or 59,460 votes, to Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu's 47.7 percent, or 54,131 votes. While the vote was split largely along racial lines, Nagin got enough of a crossover in predominantly white districts to make the difference. He also won a slim majority of absentee and fax votes cast by evacuees scattered across the country.

Nagin, a former cable television executive elected to office in 2002, had argued the city could ill-afford to change course as rebuilding gathered steam.

His second term begins a day before the June 1 start of the hurricane season in a city where streets are still strewn with rusting, mud-covered cars and entire neighborhoods consist of homes that are empty shells.

With little disagreement on the major issues the right of residents to rebuild in all areas and the urgent need for federal aid the campaign turned on leadership styles.

Nagin, a janitor's son from a working-class neighborhood, is known for his shoot-from-the-hip rhetoric. After Katrina plunged his city into chaos nine months ago, Nagin was both scorned and praised for a tearful plea for the federal government to "get off their (behinds) and do something" and his remark that God intended New Orleans to be a "chocolate" city.

In his victory speech, Nagin promised his supporters, "You're not going to get a typical Ray Nagin speech. I'm not going to get into trouble tonight, trust me."

He reached out to President Bush, thanking him for keeping his commitment to bring billions of dollars for levees, housing and incentives to the city.

And as for Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco, with whom he feuded in the wake of the storm, Nagin thanked her "for what she's getting ready to do."

"It's time for a real partnership," he said. "It's time for us to get together and rebuild this city."

Landrieu, who served 16 years in the state House before being elected to his current post two years ago, had touted his polished political skills and his ability to bring people together.

He's the scion of a political dynasty known as Louisiana's version of the Kennedys the brother of Sen. Mary Landrieu (news, bio, voting record) and son of New Orleans' last white mayor, Moon Landrieu, who left office in 1978.

In conceding the race, Landrieu echoed the theme of his campaign a call for unity.

"One thing is for sure: that we as a people have got to come together so we can speak with one voice and one purpose," he said.

Fewer than half of New Orleans' 455,000 pre-Katrina residents are living in the city.

Evacuees arrived by bus from as far as Atlanta and Houston to vote. More than 25,000 ballots were cast early by mail or fax or at satellite polling places set up around Louisiana earlier in the month.

Turnout appeared to be on-par with the April 22 primary, when about 37 percent of eligible voters cast ballots.

Nagin, who had widespread support from white voters four years ago, lost much of that support in the primary but got a much stronger showing this time.

Voter Elliot Pernell was philosophical about his vote for the incumbent.

"He's been through the experience already," he said, "and won't make the same mistakes."

Somewhat surprising results

mikehunt 05-21-06 10:04 AM

never rule out stupidity as a factor in elections

X 05-21-06 10:06 AM

He couldn't afford not to win with all the money flowing into New Orleans for reconstruction. I wonder how many millions he and his friends will "make" in the next few years?

General Zod 05-21-06 10:09 AM

Now his dreams of a chocolate city can come true...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../chocolate.jpg

DonnachaOne 05-21-06 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by classicman2
Voters re-elected Mayor Ray Nagin, the colorful leader

racist.

classicman2 05-21-06 10:28 AM

I think he was outspent 6-7 to 1.

Landrieu had a narrow lead in the last two polls I saw.

Something happened on the way to the polls. ;)

X 05-21-06 10:34 AM

Irregularities in Louisiana politics and voting? I'm shocked! I can't imagine how anything could go wrong with faxed voting and busing people in.

This is certainly the time to be in politics in New Orleans and probably Louisiana in general. There's money to be made.

The Bus 05-21-06 10:47 AM

Great. Another big city mayor looking out for the interest of big business (Hersehy, M&M Mars Co.) rather than his constituents.

General Zod 05-21-06 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2
Something happened on the way to the polls. ;)

:lol:

Ranger 05-21-06 03:39 PM

I couldn't beelieve it either, but I think he campaigned pretty hard while Landrieu could have tried more.

I was amazed at how many people were voting from Houston and Atlanta. It's not fair, those people are unlikely to ever live in the city again but they still get to vote.

At least Nagin isn't Morial.

crazyronin 05-21-06 04:04 PM

Once again democracy proves that a citizenry gets officials that they deserve....

onebyone 05-21-06 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by crazyronin
Once again democracy proves that a citizenry gets officials that they deserve....

Exactly. :thmbsdwn:

Goldblum 05-21-06 08:21 PM

Now perhaps we can all get a sneak peek of this "chocolate drink" he speaks such praises for.

Ranger 05-21-06 08:26 PM

I have this theory that Landrieu didn't really want to be mayor since he's already the lt. governor.

General Zod 05-21-06 08:30 PM

In his victory speech late Saturday night, Nagin praised President Bush.

"You and I have probably been the most vilified politicians in the country. But I want to thank you for moving that promise that you made in Jackson Square forward," Nagin said.
Looks like Nagin is about to become the latest enemy of the democratic party. Move over Katherine Harris!

Ranger 05-22-06 01:12 AM

Yes. I saw that story on Drudge.

Landrieu had outraised Nagin by a wide margin - $3.3 million to $541,980.
That's pretty amazing. I admit that I haven't seen any tv ads from Nagin but a few from Landrieu.

B.A. 05-22-06 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger
I was amazed at how many people were voting from Houston and Atlanta. It's not fair, those people are unlikely to ever live in the city again but they still get to vote.

That's what bothers me about the whole thing. It just seems fishy as hell.

classicman2 05-22-06 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger
I have this theory that Landrieu didn't really want to be mayor since he's already the lt. governor.

You obviously have the wrong theory.

He wanted the job very badly. His sister wanted him to have the job also.

wm lopez 05-22-06 05:04 PM

So the people of New Orleans have to wait till the next election to vote their guy in just like liberals have to wait this Nov. to have a chance to vote their guy in. That's how it's done in America.

kvrdave 05-22-06 05:10 PM

Corruption? In New Orleans?

Whatever!

classicman2 05-22-06 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
So the people of New Orleans have to wait till the next election to vote their guy in just like liberals have to wait this Nov. to have a chance to vote their guy in. That's how it's done in America.

The people of New Orleans voted their guy in. He got 53% of the vote.

BTW: We don't have a liberal party in the U.S.

bhk 05-22-06 05:48 PM

But we do have one that has been taken over by libs.

I wonder if Nagin would have won if he'd have praised Bush before the vote?

classicman2 05-22-06 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
But we do have one that has been taken over by libs.

And we have one that has been taken by the conservatives, wouldn't you agree?

bhk 05-22-06 09:54 PM

And we have one that has been taken by the conservatives, wouldn't you agree?
And the difference is that most people in the party agree with the conservative view on most things and not the country-club viewpoint. The conservative views is what has won elections. When the repubs in congress started acting like democrats, it has lead to them being in trouble as we are seeing now.

classicman2 05-22-06 09:56 PM

Hogwash!!