DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   If we attack Iran, Iran will attack Israel (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/464056-if-we-attack-iran-iran-will-attack-israel.html)

classicman2 05-02-06 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
Strait of Hormuz somewhere in Canada? That's the country that we get the most oil from.

What percentage of our need for imported oil comes from the Persian Gulf?

bhk 05-02-06 03:23 PM

What percentage of our need for imported oil comes from the Persian Gulf?
I was just ribbing eX because he said "no" oil.

classicman2 05-02-06 03:23 PM

Permit me to add: I believe in February we imported more oil from Mexico than Canada.

classicman2 05-02-06 03:25 PM

In addition the Persian Gulf accounts for about 22% of our oil imports.

classicman2 05-02-06 03:32 PM

BTW the Saudi Oil Minister and the U. S. Secretary of Energy appeared before the some economic council today.

The Saudi Oil Minister said that these high oil prices do not benefit either Saudi Arabia or the U. S.

eXcentris 05-02-06 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
I was just ribbing eX because he said "no" oil.

Obviously that was a figure of speech. :)

OldDude 05-02-06 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2
BTW the Saudi Oil Minister and the U. S. Secretary of Energy appeared before the some economic council today.

The Saudi Oil Minister said that these high oil prices do not benefit either Saudi Arabia or the U. S.

But the Saudi Oil Minister is laughing all the way ti the bank as he says it.

bhk 05-02-06 03:35 PM

Obviously that was a figure of speech.
22% = most?

wendersfan 05-02-06 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Obviously that was a figure of speech. :)

Oil Nazi. :grunt:

eXcentris 05-02-06 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
22% = most?

Ok let me translate for you: "no oil for you!" = "it would severely disrupt world oil supplies and the price of oil would skyrocket". Get it now? ;)

classicman2 05-02-06 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
22% = most?

You do understand (at least I hope) what 22% less oil would do to this country?

Holy Jackson 05-02-06 03:42 PM

I don't think Iran could control the straights. their new torpedo won't be enough to destroy a battle group.

eXcentris 05-02-06 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Holy Jackson
I don't think Iran could control the straights. their new torpedo won't be enough to destroy a battle group.

The shipping lane is narrow enough that all they'd need to do is mine it and/or bomb/cripple a few ships to block it. Even if they don't manage to completely block it, who would then take the chance of sending their tankers thru there?

classicman2 05-02-06 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
The shipping lane is narrow enough that all they'd need to do is mine it and/or bomb/cripple a few ships to block it. Even if they don't manage to completely block it, who would then take the chance of sending their tankers thru there?

They did a pretty good job in the '70s when there were battle groups - not only from the U. S. but from other countries - principally France.

Illinois Enema Bandit 05-02-06 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Holy Jackson

Torpedoes, probably not...but if they have acquired any of these Russian anti-ship missiles (specifically designed to take out carriers), who knows

Sunburn

Yakhont

To defend against these, the navy has introduced SeaRAM, but I don't know if they have been able to get their hands on a Sunburn to test

bhk 05-02-06 06:22 PM

You do understand (at least I hope) what 22% less oil would do to this country?
I know you're old and cantankerous but were jokes invented before or after you were born? ;)