Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Rush Limbaugh arrested on drug charges

Old 04-28-06, 05:28 PM
Suspended

Rush Limbaugh arrested on drug charges

Limbaugh arrested on drug charges
Conservative talk-show host has been released on bail
The Associated Press
Updated: 6:24 p.m. ET April 28, 2006

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Rush Limbaugh was arrested Friday on prescription drug charges, law enforcement officials said. Limbaugh turned himself in to authorities on a warrant issued by the State Attorney's Office, said Teri Barbera, a spokeswoman for the State Attorney's Office.

The conservative radio commentator came into the jail at about 4 p.m. with his attorney Roy Black and bonded out an hour later on a $3,000 bail, Barbera said. The warrant was for fraud to conceal information to obtain prescription, Barbera said.

Black said his client and authorities reached a settlement on a single count charge of doctor shopping filed Friday by the State Attorney will be dismissed in 18 months.

Prosecutors seized Limbaugh's records after learning that he received about 2,000 painkillers, prescribed by four doctors in six months, at a pharmacy near his Palm Beach mansion. They contend that Limbaugh engaged in "doctor shopping," or illegally deceived multiple doctors to receive overlapping prescriptions.

Limbaugh has not been charged and maintains he's innocent. He has acknowledged he became addicted to pain medication, blaming it on severe back pain, and took a five-week leave from his radio show to enter a rehabilitation program in 2003.
Old 04-28-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

2,000 painkillers?
Old 04-28-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, is this a new drug problem or related to the Oxycontin thing from a few years back?
Old 04-28-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In any event, I'm sure he deserves our sympathy and understanding. Unlike those scumsucking street users.
Old 04-28-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Wait, is this a new drug problem or related to the Oxycontin thing from a few years back?
I think this is related to the Oxycontin thing from a few years back.
Old 04-28-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
It's to settle the old case. And if Rush stays "clean" and follows his restrictions for another 18 months, the charge of doctor shopping will be dropped.
Old 04-28-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Limbaugh has not been charged
then how was there a warrant and why did he go down to the jail and get arrested?
Old 04-28-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, they bust everyone for this, so at least they are being consistent.
Old 04-28-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess all that back breaking work from being the host of a radio show finally took its toll.
Old 04-28-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How is this not in politics with the title, "Right-wing leader Limbaugh arrested. Conservatives exposed as frauds!"?
Old 04-28-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's funny how all the libs want to make drugs legal and justify people using drugs, but when someone they don't like uses drugs, they jump all over him! Shouldn't they be running to his defense saying "Well he needs to self medicate" or saying that drugs should be legalized?
Old 04-28-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As an aside, that has got to be the worst written article I've ever read.

Rush Limbaugh was arrested Friday on prescription drug charges, law enforcement officials said.
Limbaugh has not been charged and maintains he's innocent.
Old 04-28-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I think it's funny how all the libs want to make drugs legal and justify people using drugs, but when someone they don't like uses drugs, they jump all over him! Shouldn't they be running to his defense saying "Well he needs to self medicate" or saying that drugs should be legalized?
I think the main issue "liberals" cite here is hypocrisy, not drug use.
Old 04-28-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah....this was helpful.
Old 04-28-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"all the libs"
Old 04-28-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nazgul
How is this not in politics with the title, "Right-wing leader Limbaugh arrested. Conservatives exposed as frauds!"?
Because DVD Talk does not have a left-wing equivalent of Myster X.
Old 04-28-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Limbaugh Reaches Settlement in Drug Case

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Rush Limbaugh and prosecutors in the long-running prescription drug case against him reached a deal Friday calling for the only charge against the conservative commentator to be dropped without a guilty plea if he continues treatment.

Link

Last edited by Lateralus; 04-28-06 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-28-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm laughing at the hypocrisy, though if he was a poor black man I doubt he would have got such a deal.

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 04-28-06 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-28-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I'm laughing at the hypocrisy, though if he was a poor black man I doubt he would have got such a deal.
Anybody that has the money and clout will get out of this type of charge, if it were me I'd be in jail.
Old 04-28-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Anybody that has the money and clout will get out of this type of charge, if it were me I'd be in jail.
I'd be in jail too. That's the system. Maybe one day I can commit a crime and be rich enough to get a little slap on the wrist.
Old 04-28-06, 07:00 PM
Suspended

Not for 2,000 painkillers. Even Dem Liberals have a limit, bro.
Old 04-28-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oxycontin isn't some lightweight stuff. It boggles the mind that Rush (hahaha) ingested 2000 of them.

Rush and the President have been arrested. I have not.
Old 04-28-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Before I would agree with you, I would want to know how many poor black men have gone to jail for doctor shopping.

It has "seemed" to me that this was something that happened because he is who he is and normally people don't actually go to jail for this type of thing. But, I could be wrong on that.
Old 04-28-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because DVD Talk does not have a left-wing equivalent of Myster X.
I thought so too but.....
Originally Posted by CRM114
Rush and the President have been arrested. I have not.
Old 04-28-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Before I would agree with you, I would want to know how many poor black men have gone to jail for doctor shopping.

It has "seemed" to me that this was something that happened because he is who he is and normally people don't actually go to jail for this type of thing. But, I could be wrong on that.
This is about 2,000 pills. Oxycontin is a 12-hour time release drug. He a minimum 2-year supply purchased in six months!

I wonder if he was injecting it. Thats the only explanation for that amount if you ask me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.