Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Heard any pathetic pleas for votes lately?

Old 04-25-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heard any pathetic pleas for votes lately?

I just got a call trying to get me to vote for a Victor Wakley, some guy I've never heard of who's trying to get one of Indiana's seats in the House. I'm pretty sure it was the most pathetic phone call I've ever received. It was a recording of a kid that sounded to be about 6 years old and went something like this:

"My daddy is Victor Wakley. The other day I asked him why he was selling all of our BMWs, because I know he really loves them. He explained to me that he loves our country even more than his toys and that it was important that he get elected to Congress so he can make our country a better place. I decided to sell my toys to help too. I sold a whole bunch and raised $34.15 to help out. When you vote, please vote for my daddy, Victor Wakley, because he loves America."

That might not be verbatim, but it's really, really close. Are there people stupid enough to get that phone call and be swayed to vote for this guy? It was so bad, I'm almost wondering if one of his opponents paid to have it sent out, just to make him look stupid. Anyone else hear anything funny/pathetic from a local candidate lately?
Old 04-25-06, 01:15 PM

I saw a commerical with some guy named Van Hilleary, who is running for senate, where the only thing he said was he voted against Clinton more than any other congressperson. Wow, that just shows me you're a partisan hack, I really want to vote for that. Also, Clinton won my state twice, keep up the good work Van.
Old 04-25-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Here in California Steve Westly has been running some commercials for a while now asking people to vote for him. They are pretty pathetic.
Old 04-25-06, 01:29 PM
X
Administrator

Just saw one yesterday. A pathetic guy who I've been watching work his way up from being on the water board is running against our equally pathetic congresswoman. She is an enormous waste of space and congressional business cards. Unfortunately one of them is going to win.

This guy's commercial told how he was at the forefront of the global warming issue and implied that if he didn't get elected the bay would rise 20' over this century and obliterate one of the cities in this county. The before and after pictures were amusing. He didn't seem too concerned about SF though.
Old 04-25-06, 01:33 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by General Zod
Here in California Steve Westly has been running some commercials for a while now asking people to vote for him. They are pretty pathetic.
Not as pathetic as Angelides who is endorsed by both our senators (although only Boxer will appear onscreen in his commercials) but is behind even Westly in the polls. And neither beats Schwarzenegger right now, which is interesting considering his low poll numbers.
Old 04-25-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by X
Not as pathetic as Angelides who is endorsed by both our senators (although only Boxer will appear onscreen in his commercials) but is behind even Westly in the polls. And neither beats Schwarzenegger right now, which is interesting considering his low poll numbers.
The newest april 14 2006 Field Poll in PDF has both Westly and Angelides within the margin of error against Schwarzenegger who is at 43-44% reelect.

I think Westly ads have been effective in helping introduce the man to voters. He will spend a lot more to probably win the primary though Angelides new ads with the firefighter and policewoman are okay as well.
I think it's early and the gropinator may have the ever slight advantage right now especially when the Democratic primary gets nasty but once the unions start their ads in the fall, it may not matter who is the Democratic nominee.
Old 04-25-06, 02:33 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by chowderhead
The newest april 14 2006 Field Poll in PDF has both Westly and Angelides within the margin of error against Schwarzenegger who is at 43-44% reelect.
That's why I said neither beats Schwarzenegger.

Both the Democrat challengers have some dirt in their financial backgrounds. I believe Angelides has been using that against Westly but Westly hasn't retaliated - yet.
Old 04-25-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by X
That's why I said neither beats Schwarzenegger.

Both the Democrat challengers have some dirt in their financial backgrounds. I believe Angelides has been using that against Westly but Westly hasn't retaliated - yet.
well, I didn't say they were leading Schwarzenegger either. Right now, it's basically generic Democrat tied with Republican Schwarzenegger who ALSO has some financial dirt in his dealings. Westly probably will publically ignore Angelides and just continue to blanket the state with ads. Once it gets closer, I do expect both of them to get real nasty in their ads. Angelides should have ran for Insurance Commissioner as I really don't want to vote Bustamante.
Old 04-26-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got an email today with the same gloom and doom straight from the party line: Booga booga! Beware the liberals!

Fundraising Will Be A Key To Victory
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our race is going to be one of the most closely- watched congressional races in the country.

That’s because our opponent is backed by the full force of the National Democrats and liberal special interest groups.

And, believe me, they want Baron Hill to win -– and will spend anything to make sure he does -– so they can seize control of Congress and implement their liberal agenda.

The Democrats’ plan is to knock off incumbent Republicans one by one and regain control of Congress. So, really, this race is about more than Baron Hill and Mike Sodrel. It’s also about Nancy Pelosi.

If the Democrats successfully defeat me and a handful of other Republican targets, the liberal congresswoman from San Francisco will become Speaker of the House with carte blanche to push ahead with her out-of-touch liberal agenda (which will certainly include tax hikes to fund new liberal social programs).

Plus, if the Democrats get control of Congress, they have suggested they may undoubtedly introduce articles of impeachment against President Bush which, during a time of war, is unconscionable!

If the thought of liberals controlling Congress sends chills up your spine, then please send a generous campaign contribution today.

This race won’t be easy. Remember, we defeated Hill by just 1,500 votes last time and this race will probably be just as close.

That’s why we must work hard, raise the necessary resources, and bring our positive message to voters in every corner of the Ninth District. The future of Indiana –- and the country –- depends on it.

Please help me fight back against the nasty attacks and win another term and keep Pelosi and the liberals from gaining control of Congress.

I appreciate your support for my proven conservative leadership and look forward to seeing you on the campaign trail.

Sincerely,

Mike Sodrel
I replied:

The tax hikes will come from covering Republican spending. They've done just as well on that front as the liberals, thank you very much.

We have one party in Washington: the "stay in power no matter what the cost to the taxpayer" party.

In my eyes, it doesn't matter who is in power. And if Bush is impeached, well maybe I'd feel worse at the thought if he was actually a conservative. He's not used his veto pen once. I think I'd prefer Cheney, to be honest.

mosquitobite
~disgruntled Republican
Old 04-26-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
I got an email today with the same gloom and doom straight from the party line: Booga booga! Beware the liberals!

I replied:

The tax hikes will come from covering Republican spending. They've done just as well on that front as the liberals, thank you very much.

We have one party in Washington: the "stay in power no matter what the cost to the taxpayer" party.

In my eyes, it doesn't matter who is in power. And if Bush is impeached, well maybe I'd feel worse at the thought if he was actually a conservative. He's not used his veto pen once. I think I'd prefer Cheney, to be honest.

mosquitobite
~disgruntled Republican
Good response. Is that copyrighted or can we all plagerize it? I'm sure I'll get a similar letter from my guy soon.
Old 04-26-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldDude
Good response. Is that copyrighted or can we all plagerize it? I'm sure I'll get a similar letter from my guy soon.
Plagerize all you want. The only way the bastards will clean up their act is when they realize they've quite possibly lost the "base".
Old 04-26-06, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
I replied:

It looks like your guy thinks that government spending on agriculture subsidies doesn't really count as 'spending'.

'Liberal agenda'.
Old 04-26-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxfisher
The other day I asked him why he was selling all of our BMWs, because I know he really loves them. He explained to me that he loves our country even more...
Someone who loves his country even more probably should have bought American to begin with...