Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Kennedy says he'd again back Kerry for president

Old 04-23-06, 03:55 PM
Banned

Kennedy says he'd again back Kerry for president

I guess the others are too conservative for Kennedy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060423/us_nm/kennedy_dc

Sen. Edward Kennedy (news, bio, voting record) said on Sunday if fellow Massachusetts Democrat John Kerry makes another bid for the presidency in 2008, he would again back him.

"If he (Kerry) runs, I'm supporting him," Kennedy, the leading liberal in the U.S. Congress, told NBC's "Meet the Press."

With Kennedy's help, Kerry won the Democratic presidential nomination two years ago, but lost the 2004 White House race to Republican President George W. Bush.

Kerry said last week he was taking a hard look at another run in 2008, and intended to make a decision near the end of the year.

Other potential Democratic presidential contenders include Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York, former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner and Kerry's 2004 vice presidential running mate, former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina.

"My decision is not affected by any other candidate's decision. It wasn't in 2002 when I made the decision to run, and it will not be this time," Kerry said on Sunday on ABC's "This Week."

Kerry said he was now focusing on trying to help fellow Democrats win back control of the Republican-led Congress in the November elections.

Kennedy said he expected Democrats to take back the Senate as well as the House of Representatives on Election Day, primarily because of what he described as an inept White House.

"The overarching issue is the gross incompetence of this administration in every aspect," Kennedy said, citing the Iraq war, troubled Medicare prescription drug program and the administration's response to Hurricane Katrina.
Old 04-23-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let the drunk jokes begin!

(That is why you posted this, isn't it?)
Old 04-23-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Myster X
"The overarching issue is the gross incompetence of this administration in every aspect," Kennedy said, citing the Iraq war, troubled Medicare prescription drug program and the administration's response to Hurricane Katrina.
I sure hope they go with this theme again in 2008.. it worked so well for them in 2004 when a higher % of people voted against them. You'd think by now Kennedy would have figured out this isn't going to work. As far as Kerry goes, I said in 2003 that a candidate with no charisma and a negative message has no chance. I say the same today. If the democrats can come up with a charismatic candidate with a positive message to the American poeple i'd say they have a good shot. A repeat of the 2004 campaign will be a repeated defeat and that's without even knowing who the Republicans will run.
Old 04-23-06, 07:16 PM

I'm all for Kennedy endorsing Kerry in a new presidental run.

Talk about the kiss of death.
Old 04-23-06, 10:10 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Nice threadcrap.
Kennedy endorsing Kerry isn't a big surprise. We'll know Kerry's torpedoed when AlGore endorses him. One of my fondest memories of 2004 was AlGore endorsing Dean, Dean then screaming like a banshee and then reading the Dean forum whackos go crazy.
Old 04-23-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk God

If Kerry does run again, I believe he will do the same thing he did before, only better.
Old 04-24-06, 12:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kvrdave
If Kerry does run again, I believe he will do the same thing he did before, only better.
Yes, but will the Dems listen since they are zeroing in on Hillary.
Old 04-24-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

kvrdave

Except this time, he won't get all those "I hate Bush, so I'll vote for ... what's your name again?" votes. I can understand not being able to beat Bush 2 the first time around. He was an unknown, and America flipped a coin. Gore is forgiven. However, not being able to defeat him after 4 years in office? There's a word for that: "unelectable". If you couldn't beat Bush in '04, you can't beat anyone. Kerry? Hillary? The Dems can't seriously be this foolish. This is like the NFL Draft, right, where a team claims they're not that interested in Reggie Bush just to throw others off their game? America is dying to put a Democrat back in the head office. I can't believe these are going to be our options.

das
Old 04-24-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How about this idea in the interest of fairness... let the left-wing Democrats on the forum start the threads about Democratic candidates, and we'll let the right-wing Republicans start the threads about Republican candidates.

See, that way we don't automatically start off with a presumption that the thread is just another excuse to trash-talk the other side, and we can get some really good discussions going.

I would suggest this as a voluntary idea -- not sure we need the mods to step in and make this an official rule. But it certainly would go a long way to curtailing some of the acrimony and the bad blood around here.
Old 04-24-06, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
How about this idea in the interest of fairness... let the left-wing Democrats on the forum start the threads about Democratic candidates, and we'll let the right-wing Republicans start the threads about Republican candidates.
Does that mean I can't start threads about anyone?
Old 04-24-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave

See, that way we don't automatically start off with a presumption that the thread is just another excuse to trash-talk the other side, and we can get some really good discussions going.

I would suggest this as a voluntary idea -- not sure we need the mods to step in and make this an official rule. But it certainly would go a long way to curtailing some of the acrimony and the bad blood around here.
<i>Mod note:
If you seriously want to make this suggestion please do so either in the Forum Feedback thread on the politcal forum, or start a new thread in the Political forum. As far as the idea itself I would be against those sorts of restrictions personally.</i>
DVD Talk Hero

I think Kerry would have a good shot the 2nd time around. Lots of the strageries against him in round one would not have a similar impact in round 2. In fact, given the popularity of Bush right now, Kerry's loss to him in '04 may register as a subconscious positive trait.... Would'a Should'a Could'a <u>Can</u>.

I think that would outweight the "wow, kerry was so bad he even lost to Bush" camp.
Old 04-24-06, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jason

<i>Mod note: If you have a problem w/ a thread please use the RTP feature. is discouraged here, as you should know by now.</i>
Old 04-24-06, 11:02 AM

I think Kerry would have a good shot the 2nd time around.
It all depends upon what happens in Iraq between now and then and who the Reps run... of course that applies to anyone the Dems put up
Old 04-24-06, 11:09 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I think Kerry would have a good shot the 2nd time around. Lots of the strageries against him in round one would not have a similar impact in round 2. In fact, given the popularity of Bush right now, Kerry's loss to him in '04 may register as a subconscious positive trait.... Would'a Should'a Could'a <u>Can</u>.

I think that would outweight the "wow, kerry was so bad he even lost to Bush" camp.
I don't think anyone really wants Kerry as president so he doesn't have much going for him. He mostly ran on a "I'm not Bush" platform.

It would come down to the lesser of two evils again and unless it's Cheney running against him his opponent wouldn't smell as bad as four-year-old Kerry.
Old 04-24-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thor Simpson

It's not a "camp". It's what happened. Moderates went to the polls in '04 and essentially said, "We know Bush isn't a good president, but we're voting for him anyway if the other option is Kerry." That's pretty brutal. I don't see how you recover from that, particularly when your opponent will share your #1 campaign trait: he won't be Bush either.

das
Old 04-24-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by das Monkey
It's not a "camp". It's what happened. Moderates went to the polls in '04 and essentially said, "We know Bush isn't a good president, but we're voting for him anyway if the other option is Kerry."
I disagree (at least in degree). What were Bush's approval ratings at the time?
Old 04-24-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was anyone under the impression that Kennedy would not support Kerry again?

"Yeah, I know he's the junior senator, but... I don't like his... face..."
Old 04-24-06, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
It's not a "camp". It's what happened. Moderates went to the polls in '04 and essentially said, "We know Bush isn't a good president, but we're voting for him anyway if the other option is Kerry." That's pretty brutal. I don't see how you recover from that, particularly when your opponent will share your #1 campaign trait: he won't be Bush either.
This is correct. How else could one explain the 'John Kerry is a douche bag but I'm voting for him anyway' website?
Old 04-24-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nemein
<i>Mod note:
If you seriously want to make this suggestion please do so either in the Forum Feedback thread on the politcal forum, or start a new thread in the Political forum. As far as the idea itself I would be against those sorts of restrictions personally.</i>
So would I... if it was enforced policy. But I would like to see both sides voluntarily agree to follow certain guidelines for the sake of civility... nothing would stop Myster X (or any other poster) from continuing to start these kind of threads, except for a general interest in forum decorum and decency.

Otherwise, you're going to see a lot more of this:
Originally Posted by Jason

Originally Posted by nemein
<i>Mod note: If you have a problem w/ a thread please use the RTP feature. is discouraged here, as you should know by now.</i>
It would also be nice if you could look at every thread started here and be able to say, "now, what exactly is the proposed topic for discussion?" I'm not sure what the OP had in mind for this thread... it doesn't seem especially newsworthy... it has no real bearings on the political issues of the day... so what significance does a thread like this hold in a discussion forum?

Again, I'd be happy to click if I thought that troll threads were completely disallowed... but I'm not sure they are under the TOS...
Old 04-24-06, 12:42 PM

It would also be nice if you could look at every thread started here and be able to say, "now, what exactly is the proposed topic for discussion?" I'm not sure what the OP had in mind for this thread... it doesn't seem especially newsworthy... it has no real bearings on the political issues of the day... so what significance does a thread like this hold in a discussion forum?

Again, I'd be happy to click if I thought that troll threads were completely disallowed... but I'm not sure they are under the TOS...
I think that's way beyond the job of the mods on this board. It's still a free board (within the guidelines we've established) so threads don't need to the "sanctioned". If a thread is not deemed discussion worthy just don't post and it'll go away in time.
Old 04-24-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kerry only lost by 3 million votes - with a turnout of 120 million voters. That is hardly the dominating victory.

Bush's numbers continue to sink and a lot more people are now second-guessing their support for Bush, which leads me to believe that Kerry has a real chance of winning if he runs again.
Old 04-24-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Ranger
Kerry only lost by 3 million votes - with a turnout of 120 million voters. That is hardly the dominating victory.

Bush's numbers continue to sink and a lot more people are now second-guessing their support for Bush, which leads me to believe that Kerry has a real chance of winning if he runs again.
This is a bit of a different situation though. Kerry's not going to be running against Bush. Chances are he's going to be running against a republican opponent who will make it a point to remind everyone that he (or she ) is no Bush either. Kerry doesn't have the "jobless recovery" and stinky economy to rail on anymore either.

Like I said if the democrats (and even Kerry) can find some charisma and a positive message they have a chance. If they do with the same old "this administration has ruined everything!" stuff.. they aren't going to get enough people to listen.

Just my opinion..
Old 04-24-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still, it must be considered that everyone who voted for Kerry will most likely vote Democratic in 2008, which could be a pretty solid group by then.

McPain is the only Rep I can think of who could be popular enough to negate that.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.