Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

CIA officer fired over leak

Old 04-21-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CIA officer fired over leak

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/MS...fied_0421.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,192640,00.html

In regards to the Dana Priest "Secret Prison" story.

Old 04-21-06, 02:44 PM
Admin-Thanos

I wonder how many more leaks we will have with 100,000 intelligence employees working for the US government.
Old 04-21-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How many are Democrats?

Kidding!!
Old 04-21-06, 05:11 PM
Banned

So when is Bush going to be fired?
Old 04-21-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

When?

When Cheney throws a resignation paper in front of Bush and says, "Hey, sign here!"

Bush: "Huh? Errr, Ok!"
Old 04-21-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
When?

When Cheney throws a resignation paper in front of Bush and says, "Hey, sign here!"

Bush: "Huh? Errr, Ok!"
Cheney will write up the paper on this

Old 04-21-06, 07:13 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by mosquitobite

How many are Democrats?

Kidding!!
Well according to Negroponte, they're all hard working, Patriotic Americans, so they couldn't be Democrats. Our hands are clean!
Old 04-21-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joshd2012
So when is Bush going to be fired?
Probably around the same time you move out of the country.
Old 04-21-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Would've been funnier if you said "...around the same time your job is outsourced..."
Old 04-22-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Officer was Clinton hold-over nominated to position by Sandy Berger

Surprise surprise...

Her name is Mary McCarthy.
Old 04-22-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
Officer was Clinton hold-over nominated to position by Sandy Berger

Surprise surprise...

Her name is Mary McCarthy.
YAY! It's all Clinton's fault!
Old 04-22-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Haven't you learned - everything is Clinton's fault according to some of our members?
Old 04-22-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, at least we know her motivation wasn't a guilty concience or the desire to bring the truth to light.
Old 04-22-06, 12:34 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I blame Bush for not throwing out all the Clintonista trash that is still at the CIA and the State Dept. I wonder if the WaPo will give the Pulitzer back now that it was proven that there are no 'secret prisons'?

Watch this traitor become a darling of the old media and be the new heroine "wistle-blower" and contrast that to the treatment of Linda Tripp.

Last edited by bhk; 04-22-06 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhk
?

Watch this traitor become a darling of the left
here we go again!!!

Why don't you post some past examples and knock off the partisian BS

Last edited by Bacon; 04-22-06 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 12:47 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Why don't you post some past examples and knock off the partisian BS
The Rosenbergs, Alger Hiss. Philby. Red Jim McDermott. But in keeping with the new attitude here, I'll edit my post.
Old 04-22-06, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
I blame Bush for not throwing out all the Clintonista trash that is still at the CIA and the State Dept. I wonder if the WaPo will give the Pulitzer back now that it was proven that there are no 'secret prisons'?
How has it been proven that there are no secret prisons?
Old 04-22-06, 02:48 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I know it's the NYT and they have a propensity to make up the news but here it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/21/wo...091&ei=5087%0A

April 21, 2006
No Proof of Secret C.I.A. Prisons, European Antiterror Chief Says
By DAN BILEFSKY
BRUSSELS, April 20 — The European Union's antiterrorism chief told a hearing on Thursday that he had not been able to prove that secret C.I.A. prisons existed in Europe.

"We've heard all kinds of allegations," the official, Gijs de Vries, said before a committee of the European Parliament. "It does not appear to be proven beyond reasonable doubt."

But Mr. de Vries came under criticism from some legislators who called the hearing a whitewash. Kathalijne Buitenweg, a Dutch member of Parliament from the Green Party, said that even without definitive proof, "the circumstantial evidence is stunning."

"I'm appalled that we keep calling to uphold human rights while pretending that these rendition centers don't exist and doing nothing about it," she said.

Many European nations were outraged after an article in The Washington Post in November cited unidentified intelligence officials as saying that the C.I.A. had maintained detention centers for terrorism suspects in eight countries, including some in Eastern Europe. A later report by the advocacy group Human Rights Watch cited Poland and Romania as two of the countries.

Both countries, as well as others in Europe, have denied the allegations. But the issue has inflamed trans-Atlantic tensions.

Mr. de Vries said the European Parliament investigation had not uncovered rights abuses despite more than 50 hours of testimony by rights advocates and people who say they were abducted by C.I.A. agents. A similar investigation by the Council of Europe, the European human rights agency, came to the same conclusion in January — though the leader of that inquiry, Dick Marty, a Swiss senator, said then that there were enough "indications" to justify continuing the investigation.

A number of legislators on Thursday challenged Mr. de Vries for not taking seriously earlier testimony before the committee of a German and a Canadian who gave accounts of being kidnapped and kept imprisoned by foreign agents.

The committee also heard Thursday from a former British ambassador to Uzbekistan, Craig Murray, who said: "I can attest to the willingness of the U.S. and the U.K. to obtain intelligence that was got under torture in Uzbekistan. If they were not willing, then rendition prisons could not have existed." But Mr. Murray, who was recalled from his job in 2004 after condemning the Uzbek authorities and criticizing the British and American governments, told the committee that he had no proof that detention centers existed within Europe.

He said he had witnessed such rendition programs in Uzbekistan, but he seemed to back up Mr. de Vries's assertion when he said he was not aware of anyone being taken to Uzbekistan from Europe. "As far as I know, that never happened," he said.

While he was ambassador, Mr. Murray made many public statements condemning the government of President Islam Karimov of Uzbekistan for its poor human rights record.

At the time, the Bush administration was using Uzbekistan as a base for military operations in Afghanistan after the Sept. 11 attacks. Mr. Murray, who has remained an outspoken critic of American and British policy toward Uzbekistan, has since been criticized by Foreign Secretary Jack Straw of Britain for breaching diplomatic protocol.
Makes me wonder if this whole secret prison thing was a sting to ferret out the leakers.
Old 04-22-06, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
I know it's the NYT and they have a propensity to make up the news but here it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/21/wo...091&ei=5087%0A

Makes me wonder if this whole secret prison thing was a sting to ferret out the leakers.
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."
Old 04-22-06, 03:02 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."
I understand that but the burden of proof is on the accuser. There is no proof at all that these existed after an investigation into it then they can be said not to exist.
Old 04-22-06, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by bhk
I understand that but the burden of proof is on the accuser. There is no proof at all that these existed after an investigation into it then they can be said not to exist.
But the same thing could be said for WMDs.
Old 04-22-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bhk

Watch this traitor become a darling of the old media and be the new heroine "wistle-blower" and contrast that to the treatment of Linda Tripp.
Traitor?
Old 04-22-06, 03:07 PM

So the failure by the EU to prove that there is 'secret prisons' is proof that these do not actually exist? Doesn't that just conclude that the existence of 'secret prisons' in europe can't in fact be proven to be true? Based on that you certainly can conclude that there most likely aren't any 'secret prisons' in Europe, but you can' say that it's been proven. Particulary not when you're dealing with the CIA, who after all has a bit of training in keeping their operations hard to discover
Old 04-22-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It was classified information to tell the media the US had worldwide detention centers? Shit, I better start packing my bags and getting soap-on-yo-rope.
Old 04-22-06, 07:04 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Traitor?
Absolutely. She gave classified information to the press that violated her oath not to do so. On top of that, she gave that information during wartime, information which hurt our efforts in the war and hurt our allies by making them targets of terrorists. Unfortunately, she will not be prosecuted as she should be.
So the failure by the EU to prove that there is 'secret prisons' is proof that these do not actually exist? Doesn't that just conclude that the existence of 'secret prisons' in europe can't in fact be proven to be true?

No, when the European anti-terror chief says there is no evidence that they exist, he speaks from a certain authority. It isn't like some guy on the street or some guy from We-Whine-About-The Slightest-US-Human-Right-Infraction-While-Ignoring-The-Worst-Infractors-In-The-World Human Rights Organization.
Particulary not when you're dealing with the CIA, who after all has a bit of training in keeping their operations hard to discover
Do you see the irony of posting this in a thread about someone at the CIA who was fired for disclosing classified information?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.