Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Sudanese problems spilling into Chad

Old 04-20-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sudanese problems spilling into Chad

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060420/...chad_darfur_dc

Chadians flee as Darfur crisis spreads

The feared Arab Janjaweed militia, whose name is loosely derived from the Arabic for "devils on horseback," are blamed for a three-year campaign of rape, looting and murder in Sudan's Darfur region that has killed 250,000 people and forced more than 2 million from their homes.

Chadian President Idriss Deby accuses Sudan's government of exporting Darfur's ethnic strife across the border in a drive to spread Arab control and Islam into sub-Saharan Africa.

Militia attacks deeper and deeper into Chad in the last six months have forced more than 55,000 terrified locals from their homes and threatened camps housing more than 200,000 Darfur refugees,
United Nations officials say.

This has gone on for 3 years. Will the world ever care?
Old 04-20-06, 01:04 PM

Not likely. It's africa.
Old 04-20-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Never again (unless it happens in Africa)"
Old 04-20-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Holy Jackson
Not likely. It's africa.
All too true.

At the same time, what can be done? Sending US troops into a foreign, inhospitable country to fight a loosely-organized team of rebels has seldom gone well.
Old 04-20-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"There are dictators and armed groups killing people all over the world. If we go after the ones in the Sudan we should go after all of them!" - Main argument against action in Iraq.
Old 04-20-06, 02:26 PM
Banned

No protest from the Arab world? Shocking!
Old 04-20-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian
[url]This has gone on for 3 years. Will the world ever care?
if the U.S. actually decided to do something there, would you be willing to sacrifice yourself for that mission?

Me? No way!

But I wouldn't complain too much if the U.S. gave the African Union some logistical, political, and financial support to stop this crisis.
Old 04-20-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think i would be
Old 04-28-06, 12:08 AM
Banned

Pretty fuck up when the world idles around and Clooney speaks up. I must say, bravo George.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060427/...m/clooney_dc_1

Joined by senators from the left and right, Oscar-winning actor George Clooney used his star power on Thursday to focus attention on Sudan's Darfur region, where he said the first genocide of this century was taking place.

Clooney told heart-breaking stories of visiting the border area between Chad and Sudan's Darfur region last week, where he watched refugees spilling into sordid camps and women foraging for food who faced the threat of rape or death.

Clooney urged the public to attend rallies across the United States this Sunday to pressure Khartoum to stop what Washington says amounts to genocide in Darfur.

Hollywood actors, political, religious leaders and sporting personalities will be among those at the rallies, which are expected to draw hundreds of thousands of people.

"What we cannot do is turn our heads and look away and hope that this will somehow disappear," Clooney said to an unusually packed news conference at the National Press Club. "It's the first genocide of the 21st century."

Clooney showed a short video from his visit with his father to Sudan and neighboring Chad, a collection of interviews and disturbing pictures of emaciated children in dusty camps.

The actor, flanked by conservative Sen. Sam Brownback (news, bio, voting record), a Kansas Republican, and liberal Sen. Barack Obama, a Democrat from Illinois, said a young girl asked him during his trip when he would return and "stop this."

When he said it would be soon, the girl replied "that's what you always say."

Clooney is usually seen more frequently among Democratic politicians and has often criticized the Bush administration for its policies, but on Thursday he said issues such as Darfur could not be partisan.

Two rebel groups from Darfur, which is about the size of Texas, took up arms in early 2003 over what they saw as neglect by Sudan's Arab-dominated central government.

Khartoum is accused of arming militias drawn mainly from Arab tribes to crush the rebellion. A campaign of murder, rape, looting and arson ensued that has killed tens of thousands of people and drove more than 2 million into camps in Darfur and Chad.
Old 04-28-06, 12:22 AM

I'm sorry, but what again does this have to do with white people?
Old 04-28-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk God

We can be glad that Bush didn't bring it up first or they would be protesting instead of rallying.

The rest of the world wants nothing to do with it. They want us to come to the rescue, expect to get paid to be a part of the aftermath, and then complain about how we did everything. I still say "go."
Old 04-28-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk God

The rest of the world wants nothing to do with it. They want us to come to the rescue, expect to get paid to be a part of the aftermath, and then complain about how we did everything. I still say "go."
I agree with all but the last sentence. I strongly disagree with that. I say 'hell no - we won't go.'
Old 04-28-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What? Into where?
Old 04-28-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Tell Bush there's oil in Africa and he'll be right on it. Like a Hutu on a Tootsie Roll. Or something like that.
Old 04-28-06, 09:00 AM

Like a Hutu on a Tootsie Roll.
Old 04-28-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nemein
I second that. Or are we making "like a German on a Jew" jokes as well now?
Old 04-28-06, 09:27 AM
Admin-Thanos

Wasn't Bin Laden calling for more jihadists to head to this region to help the Janjaweed?
Old 04-28-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Venusian
This has gone on for 3 years. Will the world ever care?
Dont' worry! I'm sure the UN will be right on top of this!!!
Old 04-28-06, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega
Wasn't Bin Laden calling for more jihadists to head to this region to help the Janjaweed?
Yup. The sudanese are really crazy though. If a bunch of those jihadists roll in with their purdy little saudi mouths, they'll probably get raped to death.
Old 04-28-06, 01:20 PM
Banned

I didn't know rape is allow in Islam.
Old 04-28-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I second that. Or are we making "like a German on a Jew" jokes as well now?
How dare you compare Germans and Jews to Africans. You stereotypist.
Old 04-28-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
How dare you compare Germans and Jews to Africans. You stereotypist.
Old 04-28-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Myster X
I didn't know rape is allow in Islam.
I believe it's allowed against "infidels".
Old 04-28-06, 04:49 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I believe it's allowed against "infidels".
Otherwise known as war "booty". Raping of the captured women was one of the things Mohammed told his followers to look forward to when he recruited them.
Old 04-29-06, 02:17 AM
Banned

I like Tom Lantos. Voted for him twice.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...home-headlines

5 Lawmakers Arrested Protesting Darfur Violence

WASHINGTON Five members of Congress were among 11 people arrested during a protest Friday outside the Sudanese Embassy, staged at a critical moment to call attention to genocidal violence in the Darfur region.

Rep. Tom Lantos (D-Burlingame), a Holocaust survivor and human rights advocate, was one of the lawmakers who were willingly arrested. Lantos was taken into custody by the U.S. Secret Service along with Democratic Reps. Jim McGovern and John W. Olver of Massachusetts, James P. Moran of Virginia and Sheila Jackson-Lee of Texas. Also arrested were six members of religious and humanitarian aid organizations.

The 11 protesters, who face fines on charges of misdemeanor disorderly conduct and unlawful assembly, were trying to focus attention on the Sudanese government, which they said had not cooperated with international efforts to stop the killing, attacks and rapes in Darfur.

The protest came two days before a crucial deadline in negotiations to halt the violence, in which an estimated 180,000 have died and 2 million have been displaced in the conflict between rebels and government-backed militias.

"Two generations ago, the civilized world stood in silence and looked away," said Lantos, who was imprisoned with his family in Nazi camps during World War II. "Congress stands united in our determination to put an end to this."

Friday's protest foreshadowed rallies across the United States on Sunday that are to feature celebrities, politicians and performing artists in a call for action in Darfur. In advance of those rallies, President Bush met Friday with activists and urged greater involvement by international peacekeeping troops to stop the bloodshed.

"There will be rallies all across the country," Bush said at the White House. "And for those of you who are going out to march for justice, you represent the best of our country. We believe every life is precious, every human being is important. And the signal you send to the world is a strong signal, and I welcome your participation."

About 7,000 African Union peacekeepers have been unable to prevent continuing violence. United Nations officials want to send a force of 20,000 to augment the peacekeepers, but the Sudanese government has not agreed to allow them in. U.S. officials want NATO troops involved in the effort as well.

At Friday's protest at the Embassy, the lawmakers read a list of four demands of the Sudanese government: to issue a cease-fire, to allow United Nations peacekeeping forces to enter the country, to grant full access to humanitarian organizations and to continue peace talks.

The Sudanese government has not taken proper actions to stop the genocide, McGovern said, and nations around the world "must take immediate concrete steps" to prevent more violence.

"We are here today because words are no longer enough," he said. "The world has said, 'Never again.' It is time for action."

Other protesters clapped and shouted as the lawmakers were put in plastic handcuffs and loaded by Secret Service officers into the back of a white police van. Some demonstrators carried pictures portraying the conflict; others held a painted banner with an image of a crying woman and the words "Stop the killing now."

Among the protesters were refugees from Darfur. Samia Eshag, who had arrived from the region 24 hours before the protest, said it was important for her to give voice to the thousands of women who had been raped.

"The civilians in Darfur are suffering day by day, night by night from all of the attacks," she said.

The Save Darfur Coalition, a group of about 100 humanitarian organizations that seeks to raise public awareness of the genocide, organized the event and plans rallies nationally Sunday. The largest rally, to be held on the National Mall, is expected to draw thousands of protesters.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.