Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Iran Elected to UN Disarmament Commission

Old 04-20-06, 12:32 AM
Banned

Iran Elected to UN Disarmament Commission

When is N. Korea's turn?

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBu...20060417c.html

Jerusalem (CNSNews.com) - Under threat of United Nations Security Council sanctions for its own nuclear program, Iran has been elected to a vice-chair position on the U.N. Disarmament Commission, whose mission includes deliberations on preventing the spread of nuclear weapons.

The commission's deliberations began last Monday and are scheduled to continue until April 28. On the first day of the commission meeting, Iran along with Uruguay and Chile was elected as one of eight vice-chairs, elected to serve for one year.

It happened on the same day that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad promised his people "good news" about the country's nuclear program.

The following day, Iran announced that it had managed to enrich uranium, a key ingredient in the production of a nuclear bomb.

On Monday, former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said that his country would continue to enrich uranium, and dismissed the idea that the U.S. might attack nuclear facilities in Iran.

"We are certain that Americans will not attack Iran because the consequences would be too dangerous," Rafasanjani was quoted as telling the Kuwaiti parliament.

Dr. Dore Gold, former Israeli Ambassador to the U.N. said that electing Iran to a leadership position on the UN Disarmament Commission was like asking the "cat to guard the milk."

"Clearly the Iranians have an interest in establishing disarmament rules that protect their clandestine nuclear weapons program," said Gold, author of Tower of Babble: How the United Nations Has Fueled Global Chaos.

"For the last decade and a half, Iran has appointed a very large diplomatic mission to the U.N. and has sought to obtain appointments to as many U.N. bodies as possible," said Gold in a telephone interview.

It is not a surprise, therefore, that Iran would find a place at the table of even the most sensitive committees, he said.

According to Gold, the various commissions at the U.N. establish the "background noise" and "international norms" that are adopted for dealing with problems worldwide.

"They have a way of penetrating the judgments of the U.N. secretariat and other U.N. bodies," he said.

The Disarmament Commission's new chairman, Joon Oh from South Korea, said prior to the group's meeting that it was not intended to be an isolated event but should be considered an integral part of worldwide disarmament efforts.

According to a release on the Disarmament Commission's website, the agenda items include recommendations for achieving nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation and "practical confidence-building measures in the field of conventional weapons."

The commission was established by a U.N. General Assembly resolution in 1978 to, among other things, pursue "effective international control of atomic energy" and make sure that atomic energy was used only for peaceful purposes.

While Iran's election to the commission is not a "decisive development," Gold said, it is "one link" in the chain that helps Iran use multi-lateral organizations to serve its interests.

Prof. Anne Bayefsky, who edits the Eye on the U.N. website, quoted U.N. Undersecretary-General for Disarmament Affairs, Nobuaki Tanaka, as saying that the commission "played a unique role" with "the advantage of being a fully universal deliberative body."

"This is the U.N. fiction, which brings us close to nuclear war with each passing day," Bayefsky said. "The allusion is to universal democracy, though the majority of voters is non-democratic and include thugs, racists and war-mongers."

As tensions grow over the situation in Iran, Washington has not ruled out the idea of a military option in dealing with Iran, though it has downplayed the idea.

The U.N.'s nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, recently referred Iran to the Security Council, where the U.S. is pushing for sanctions to be leveled against the Islamic Republic.

But Gold said that if the U.N.'s dealings with Iraq set a precedent for its dealings elsewhere in the world, then it is not likely that the U.N. would be an effective body in dealing with Iran.

"The U.N. has long ago forfeited its role as an international body safeguarding international peace and security and this is just the latest proof of why the U.N. doesn't work," Gold said of Iran's election to vice chair the Disarmament Commission.

Iran says its nuclear development is for a civilian energy program but the U.S., Israel and other Western nations believe Iran is really developing nuclear weapons.

The Institute for Science and International Security, a U.S. think tank, released satellite images on Sunday showing that Iran had expanded its uranium enrichment site at Isfahan and has reinforced its underground site at Natanz.

London's Sunday Times quoted unnamed Iranian officials as saying that Iran had recruited and trained 40,000 suicide bombers, who were ready to attack American and British targets.

"We are ready to attack American and British sensitive points if they attack Iran's nuclear facilities," said Dr. Hassan Abbasi, head of the Center for Doctrinal Strategic Studies in the Revolutionary Guards.
Old 04-20-06, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That is, of course, ridiculous. That's what happens when other countries react to our inept, arrogant bullying foreign policy. We have a lot more enemies than we did 6 years ago, and they can be expected to react.
Old 04-20-06, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To those who claim the UN is a useful organization:
Explain how electing Iran to this committee makes any sense when Iran has been referred to the Security Council for violating Nonproliferation Treaty and attempting to develop nuclear weapons.
[beer, beach chair, popcorn; waits patiently]
Old 04-20-06, 08:33 AM

After all, Libya was elected chair of the Human Rights commission so at least the UN is consistent in their ineptness.
Old 04-20-06, 09:04 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by OldDude
To those who claim the UN is a useful organization:
Explain how electing Iran to this committee makes any sense when Iran has been referred to the Security Council for violating Nonproliferation Treaty and attempting to develop nuclear weapons.
[beer, beach chair, popcorn; waits patiently]
Look at the bright side, they have no military and can only talk about stuff. This is pretty stupid though (electing Iran to a disarmament committee).
Old 04-20-06, 09:25 AM

Hang on a minute - Vin's a Mod now? When did this happen? Does this mean I have to be nice to him now?

As for the topic, I'm sure the UN felt it was important to hear Iran's unique perspective on the disarmament issue.
Old 04-20-06, 09:29 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

China will soon be the chair of the committee to ensure freedom of speech.

Hey, Vin's a moderator. See what happens when you agree with me.
Old 04-20-06, 09:30 AM
Admin-Thanos

We're trying to liberalize DVDTalk one mod at a time.
Old 04-20-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh... I tried to think of something but I got nothing. So I'm gonna have to go with stupid on that one.

To me though this is a case by case thing as I'm not, de facto, opposed to having hmmm "questionable" nations be part of the various UN commissions because it gives them exposure to international norms and standards.
Old 04-20-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
China will soon be the chair of the committee to ensure freedom of speech.
Haaaaa you see, this I woudn't necessarily have a problem with.
Old 04-20-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

why so?
Old 04-20-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

eXcentris, I understand the point you're making. However, doesn't the timing of this all seem quite poor. Apparently the reward for fucking with the UN and laughing at them is to be elected to a powerful position in the organization.*

*Does not apply to Israel
Old 04-20-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bushdog
eXcentris, I understand the point you're making. However, doesn't the timing of this all seem quite poor. Apparently the reward for fucking with the UN and laughing at them is to be elected to a powerful position in the organization.*

*Does not apply to Israel
Oh certainly, it's definitely stupid in this particular case.
Old 04-20-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian
why so?
Because China isn't North Korea or Iran. Sure they have Human Rights issues but they are (slowly) going in the right direction. I think it's important to get nations who show progress involved and to give them exposure to international norms and standards. And if you're put in a position where the spotlight is on you, that might serve as further incentive to adhere to said standards.
Old 04-20-06, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geofferson
After all, Libya was elected chair of the Human Rights commission so at least the UN is consistent in their ineptness.
Oh yeah, I remember that one. Sudan was on the human right commission also after booting the US.
Old 04-20-06, 02:16 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

And North Korea will join the UN Agricultural Committee(along with Ethiopia).
Old 04-20-06, 02:33 PM
Banned

Dr. Dore Gold, former Israeli Ambassador to the U.N. said that electing Iran to a leadership position on the UN Disarmament Commission was like asking the "cat to guard the milk."
I really don't see how electing Iran to the disarmament commission is any worse than electing Israel or the U.S. would be. Israel has nukes, but shouldn't, nor have they ever openly admitted to it, although everybody knows at this point. They've basically done the same thing as Iran, only they did it sooner. (and probably got more help from the U.S.) The U.S., of course, is one of the worst offenders when it comes to nuclear proliferation. Not only have they continued research on nuclear weapons and maintain the largest (and still growing) nuclear arsenal in the world, they are suspected of helping their buddies (e.g. Israel) out with a nuke here and there. Their aggressive foreign policy is also one of the key factors driving countries, such as Iran or North Korea, to pursue nuclear weapons.

I agree that Iran isn't a good choice, but Dr.Gold isn't from a nation that should be throwing any stones.
Old 04-20-06, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nutter
I really don't see how electing Iran to the disarmament commission is any worse than electing Israel or the U.S. would be. Israel has nukes, but shouldn't, nor have they ever openly admitted to it, although everybody knows at this point. They've basically done the same thing as Iran, only they did it sooner. (and probably got more help from the U.S.) The U.S., of course, is one of the worst offenders when it comes to nuclear proliferation. Not only have they continued research on nuclear weapons and maintain the largest (and still growing) nuclear arsenal in the world, they are suspected of helping their buddies (e.g. Israel) out with a nuke here and there. Their aggressive foreign policy is also one of the key factors driving countries, such as Iran or North Korea, to pursue nuclear weapons.

I agree that Iran isn't a good choice, but Dr.Gold isn't from a nation that should be throwing any stones.
just wow.....................
Old 04-20-06, 02:51 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

China will also join the UN Committee on the Protection of Intellectual Property Rights.
Old 04-20-06, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nutter
I really don't see how electing Iran to the disarmament commission is any worse than electing Israel or the U.S. would be. Israel has nukes, but shouldn't, nor have they ever openly admitted to it, although everybody knows at this point.
I don't think the leaders of Israel have ever made it stated policy to wipe another sovereign country off the map.
Old 04-20-06, 03:13 PM
Retired

I have no problem with it. Give them a chance to participate in the UN more and comply with its guidelines. If not, suspend them and sanction them.

If the UN is going to be a true global organization, all nations should be represented.
Old 04-20-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I don't think the leaders of Israel have ever made it stated policy to wipe another sovereign country off the map.
No, but Nutter has been very consistent in being anti-Israel for as long as he's been here.
Old 04-20-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by VinVega
We're trying to liberalize DVDTalk one mod at a time.
Congrats on the modship. At the Portland Meet, Geoff tried to offer me money to be a mod, but I said, "Listen up, you commie pinko, the last thing I would ever be is a mod for the ultra-liberal DVDTalk. Why don't you just end the charade and pick Ted Kennedy or VinVega or something."

Old 04-20-06, 04:25 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

If they made dave a mod, I'd have to quit dvdtalk and erase my hard drive so that no trace of dvdtalk remained on it.
Old 04-20-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bhk
If they made dave a mod, I'd have to quit dvdtalk and erase my hard drive so that no trace of dvdtalk remained on it.
He already said he didn't want the job. Why are you electioneering for him?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.