Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Teachers Beheaded In Front Of Students In Baghdad

Old 04-19-06, 08:37 AM
Suspended

Teachers Beheaded In Front Of Students In Baghdad

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12342623/

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Separate groups of gunmen entered two primary schools in Baghdad on Wednesday and beheaded two teachers in front of their students, the Ministry of State for National Security said.

"Two terrorist groups beheaded two teachers in front of their students in the Amna and Shaheed Hamdi primary schools in Shaab district in Baghdad," a ministry statement said.

A ministry official said he believed the attacks were aimed at "intimidating pupils and disrupting learning."

8 others killed
In other violence, two roadside bombs exploded in the capital, killing at least two bystanders and wounding 15 people. Gunmen in Baghdad killed at least six other people.

One bomb targeting a police patrol blew up in the western neighborhood of Harthiya, killing one civilian and injuring 11 people, including two policemen and an Iraqi soldier, police said.

The other exploded near the al-Kindi hospital in eastern Baghdad, killing one civilian and wounding four others, police said.

In three separate attacks, gunmen in the southern neighborhood of Dora killed a construction worker, trade ministry employee and three power plant workers who had been snatched from their car an hour earlier, police said. At least two cars were stolen in the attacks. Police were investigating whether the attacks were linked.

In Baghdad's west Amariyah district, gunmen killed a medic as he walked from house to house administering vaccinations, police said.

A car bomb exploded in the city of Baqouba, wounding two civilians. Police had earlier received a call about a body in the car, which they retrieved moments before the blast, officials said.

In the southeastern suburb of Rustamiyah, police discovered five bodies of Iraqis, handcuffed and blindfolded. Late Tuesday, police had found 11 corpses in various parts of the capital.

Also late Tuesday, five foreigners, including an Egyptian, were killed as they drove near a village 31 miles southwest of Kirkuk in northern Iraq, police said. Officials declined to reveal the nationalities of the other four victims.

----

Nothing like having the US around to keep the democracy and freedom there.

Oh wait. We have to blame the Iraqis for their failure.
Old 04-19-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is the U.S.'s fault?
Old 04-19-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If we hadn't built schools for the Iraqi children, the teachers wouldn't have been beheaded.
Old 04-19-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Nothing like having the US around to keep the democracy and freedom there.

Oh wait. We have to blame the Iraqis for their failure.
These people have been killing each other for centuries. Constantly trying to blame the U.S. for stuff like this is old and shows a lack of understanding about the situation there.
Old 04-19-06, 08:49 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by General Zod
These people have been killing each other for centuries. Constantly trying to blame the U.S. for stuff like this is old and shows a lack of understanding about the situation there.
I agree - however, the reverse is also true: the Bush administration had their heads completely up their collective asses when they predicted that we could walk in there and make it a democracy.
Old 04-19-06, 08:52 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I agree - however, the reverse is also true: the Bush administration had their heads completely up their collective asses when they predicted that we could walk in there and make it a democracy.
You're right, but so is Zod.

We fucked up, but we are there now. What can we do now to make things right?

I think everybody agrees that unless the Iraqis themselves step up to the plate and start dealing with these sociopaths, there is no hope for Iraq. How long the US stays there and puts up with this inability to step up is the question.
Old 04-19-06, 08:54 AM

I disagree, with both posts.

I do though agree that it is very tiring hearing the same old America is stupid, evil, dumb, incompetent, et. al. rants time after time after time. We get the point, at least get what point is trying to be made repeatedly.
Old 04-19-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd imagine the pro home-schooling camp would be all over this.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601
If we hadn't built schools for the Iraqi children, the teachers wouldn't have been beheaded.
Good point.
DVD Talk Hero

did they ever say that? all i remember bush saying is that it is going to be hard. the talking heads said it'd be easy
Old 04-19-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Honestly, why should anyone care anymore? You will NEVER stop this kind of stuff. Nothing we say or do will change the hearts and minds of people like this. The best we can do is make sure they don't bring that shit over here to the States.
Old 04-19-06, 09:04 AM
Suspended

I dunno, but I'm buying the Hostel DVD when it comes out.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Honestly, why should anyone care anymore? You will NEVER stop this kind of stuff. Nothing we say or do will change the hearts and minds of people like this. The best we can do is make sure they don't bring that shit over here to the States.
Nah, over here we like to eat that 10-year olds with saw marks on their necks.
Old 04-19-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We did make the mistake of assuming that they could advance their civilization 600 years to the year 2006. They're nothing but savages. Really. This is proof.
Old 04-19-06, 11:07 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

People who condemn the entire nation of Iraq over this shouldn't generalize.
I blame the people who actually sawed off the heads and not the US.
Old 04-19-06, 11:11 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by bhk
This is one of the 30% of the times I agree with bhk. I feel dirty.
Old 04-19-06, 11:26 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

This is one of the 30% of the times I agree with bhk. I feel dirty.
And you've just lost every friend you had here.
Old 04-19-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
Well, true. On the other hand, "ordinary Iraqis" are apparently more interested in preserving their sectarian differences than banding together to kill the scum who do things like this to them. They don't even have to join the army and risk getting killed themselves while killing scum. They could just point them out to US forces. But because they are still (perverted) Muslims, they'd rather not rat them out to infidels.

If they can't do anything to step up to the plate, perhaps they deserve the shithole they're building.
Old 04-19-06, 01:05 PM
Suspended

Well, we're not talking about a city that is 300 miles from Baghdad. We're talking about Baghdad itself. Wouldn't it be nice if US troops were actually in areas which were targets of terrorists?

Again, I ask why is the US there when they obviously cannot prevent this violence from continuing. You can't have a democracy with violence like this. But Bush seems to think you can.
Old 04-19-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't get too worked up...I'm just thinking aloud here...

If we left Iraq now...like right now...completely...would this kind of crap cease to be a "political statement" and simply become a "crime"? However backwards these folks seem to be...and after seeing them in person, I was certainly not impressed...they historically have a "way" of dealing with crime.

Perhaps not. Maybe us being there is the only thing keeping the place from falling into complete chaos and civil war. We seem to be filling the role of common enemy admirably.

Does one outweigh the other? Are we doing more harm than good at this point? I dunno...I'm just beginning to think that we are more of an albatross (or a crutch if you're big on semantics) to the Iraqis than we are a help.
Old 04-19-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While what happened here was tragic, there's really no denying that it would not have happened if the U.S. had not invaded and forced the country into the transition process which will have consequences like this. I do believe that the Bush admin said that it would take hard work but I think he also said that there has been a lot of progress in Iraq, which I do not agree with.
Old 04-19-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oooo, badass, beheading primary school teachers. They must've put up a fight.
Old 04-19-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, we're not talking about a city that is 300 miles from Baghdad. We're talking about Baghdad itself. Wouldn't it be nice if US troops were actually in areas which were targets of terrorists?
But an army can't target terrorists unless they catch them in the act of terrorizing. If US troops had stopped these clowns at a check point an hour earlier, what could they have done?
Old 04-19-06, 02:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jason
But an army can't target terrorists unless they catch them in the act of terrorizing. If US troops had stopped these clowns at a check point an hour earlier, what could they have done?
Schools are routinely harrased by terrorists as well as any WEAK area. Terrorists go for the weak areas. It's not a hard concept this terrorist thing. You just need the intel and dedication of a proper amount of troops...which Bush never came through on in both cases. So, we have no choice but to pull out completely because our presence there is innocuous. And more US troops will die for nothing.

Also, neighbors say teachers were never killed:

Old 04-19-06, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Bush seems to think you need to make an effort before condemning millions of people to oblivion.
If by effort you mean a whimper, then yes, I suppose you're right.
Old 04-19-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, neighbors say teachers were never killed:

A FOX News reporter in Baghdad just reported that the story was false. Whoops.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.