Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Formerly "The 'ite' debate" thread... I don't know what the hell it is now ;)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-14-06, 11:14 AM

Split from http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461442 since it was side tracking that thread...

Originally Posted by classicman2
Haven't you realized it yet - regardless of what Bush does, the Bushites are going to first, defend him, and then blame others for his wrong doing.
<i>Mod note:
Haven't you realized it yet... using terms like "Bushites" are looked at as the type of snide snipes we are trying to eliminate. If you want to earn your second of two stikes please continue. Is it really so hard to address people in a civil manner? </i>

Last edited by nemein; 04-16-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-14-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

You're changing again. You said in a previous post - not on this thread that the use of the term Bushites was acceptable. What are we supposed to call them?
Old 04-14-06, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2
You're changing again. You said in a previous post - not on this thread that the use of the term Bushites was acceptable. What are we supposed to call them?
I did? Where? A search of nemein and Bushites only turned up 3 posts (2 were my responses to you, in which I didn't make a statement either way about the term Bushites, and the 3rd was the above post). Personally I've always found the term a bit childish, much like some of the nicknames people on the right give those on the left, which we are trying to crack down on those as well. As far as what to call them why not just say those who like Bush/those who support Bush/etc...
Old 04-14-06, 12:48 PM
X
Administrator

Thought I'd look up Bushite. Looks pretty derogatory to me. Is there a more "official" definition?

But then it's not making much sense in the context of those being people who always agree with Bush except when they disagree with him.
Old 04-14-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why is "Bushite" derogatory? Because some website says so?

I don't suppose "Reaganites" would say that term is derogatory. On the contrary. People who mindlessly followed Reagan are proud of it.

The mods seem to forget how much classicman2 kissed Bush's ass before the 04 election.
Old 04-15-06, 05:18 AM

Why is "Bushite" derogatory? Because some website says so?
Personally I thought it was fairly obviously but maybe I'm giving people more credit then they are due It's just an unfortunate circumstance of how the name works out, but since I've only heard the term used by those who are anti-admin so far I think it's fairly obvious it's meant as a slur.
Old 04-15-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You've heard term "Reaganite" right? Bushite is only derogatory if the person is not one or embarrassed to be one.
Old 04-15-06, 10:31 AM

Bushite is only derogatory if the person is not one or embarrassed to be one.
I disagree. Again I've never heard anyone who is pro-Bush use the term to describe themselves mainly because of the of the unfortuntate ordering of the letters. Come on CRM114, I give you credit for being an intelligent person, you honestly think people aren't gleefully using the term BuSHITe in a derogatory sense
Old 04-15-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, we have to call the last-ditch 35% of the population that remain bush supporters something. Shrubbery?
Old 04-15-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mammal
Well, we have to call the last-ditch 35% of the population that remain bush supporters something. Shrubbery?
Is "Bush supporters" that tough to accept? It seems pretty specific and descrpitive to me.

Last edited by Shoveler; 04-15-06 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-15-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, not really. To be a "bush supporter" after the performance of the government since 2000 puts one in a very special group that deserves a name with some zing to it.
Old 04-15-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nemein
you honestly think people aren't gleefully using the term BuSHITe in a derogatory sense
Are BuSHITes anything like DemocRATS?

Seriously, I didn't notice that 4-letter sequence of letters until you pointed it out (I also didn't notice the "subliminable" message in the Bush ad back in 2000 until someone made a fuss about that).

Personally, I think "Bushite" is a useful shorthand. We've had people called Reaganites or Clintonistas, and this doesn't seem any different (and a lot less ideologically charged than "Clintonista"). I will concede that it does seem to be a term that hasn't exactly been embraced by the right (or the center, for that matter).
Old 04-15-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't people you all are debating that word.

Seems VERY harmless to me and probably wouldn't even be an issue if the letters didn't spell something that's got nothing do to with the term.

My first and only thought when seeing the term is someone who relentlessly defends the President and everything that he does.

I agree that THAT is only derogatory if someone is insulting by their own hardcore support of everything Bush does.

The Clinton and Reagan examples are no different, except for better letters in their name that don't make it look like profanity.

Bush supporters doesn't cut it. There are Bush supporters who don't agree with nearly all or ALL of the things he does. The other term, like, say Radical Right, simply classifies people that some might think support Bush more than a typical Bush supporter.

I don't think, again, that word comes across insulting, other than it's a term that one group of people would use to describe another group of other people with radically different views on the President and his policies and who never seem to have a problem with anything that he does.
Old 04-15-06, 12:21 PM
X
Administrator

I don't think Bushite would be any more derogatory than Reaganite or Clintonista except for one thing -- the way it has been used here. It is always used in an insulting manner to members who agree with Bush or defend something he did, not in reference to the general public.

Do a search on the term in this forum and you'll see what I mean.
Old 04-15-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bushite is only seen as derogatory because Bush is a failed President with a thirty-something approval rating. That and the fact that most, if not all, of the mods are Bush supporters. I will not use the term if it means getting exiled.

I've also never noticed the sequence of letters until now.
Old 04-15-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by X
I don't think Bushite would be any more derogatory than Reaganite or Clintonista except for one thing -- the way it has been used here. It is always used in an insulting manner to members who agree with Bush or defend something he did, not in reference to the general public.

Do a search on the term in this forum and you'll see what I mean.
Please. It's what you're reading into it.

A hardcore Red Wings fan is called a Wing Nut. Are they nuts? Do they feel insulted by the term? Answer Yes and No to the first and no to the second.

Clintonista seems to have been created just to be inflammatory and it never bothered me one bit and you admit you have no problem with it. Reaganite...what does that even mean? Certainly not insulting, but if someone in the early 80's said the Reaganites didn't care about all the people sleeping in the streets, of course you'd probably think that was used in an insulting manner. When it's just being critical of someone agreeing with policies that they feel are bad or harmful.

The Bush one is simply taking the Reagan one and adding the same "ite" to the end of his name. Nothing that seems out of place in a political forum.

Unless the powers that be tend to be all Bush supporters.
Old 04-15-06, 05:08 PM
X
Administrator

Again, do a search on the posts and see how it's used to attack other members and how it is one more factor that has resulted in a mean-spirited forum. It is not used as a term referring to people in general and if it were it wouldn't be bad.

If every time somebody defending Hillary Clinton got called "you Hillbots" or whatever we would want to stop that too. Attacking members as mindless followers of someone or a political philosophy this way is not acceptable here. If some people can't explain why they believe people here are mindless robots we're not going to let them keep using shorthand remarks to call them the same thing.
Old 04-15-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Call them what they are: Republicans.
Old 04-15-06, 07:32 PM
X
Administrator

You can call them what you want. However referring to members here as "you Shrubberies" is what we're trying to stop. The namecalling contributes nothing to even halfway intelligent discussion or debate.
Old 04-15-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Call them what they are: Republicans.
No, that won't do. There are plenty of competent, sane, sensible folks who are Republicans.
Old 04-15-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by X
Again, do a search on the posts and see how it's used to attack other members and how it is one more factor that has resulted in a mean-spirited forum. It is not used as a term referring to people in general and if it were it wouldn't be bad.

If every time somebody defending Hillary Clinton got called "you Hillbots" or whatever we would want to stop that too. Attacking members as mindless followers of someone or a political philosophy this way is not acceptable here. If some people can't explain why they believe people here are mindless robots we're not going to let them keep using shorthand remarks to call them the same thing.
Again, you said you had no problem with Reaganite (and Clintonistas), so I'm just wondering, if you believe that Bushite infers that people are mindless robots, what would Reaganites and Clintonistas be? Independent thinkers?

It's seems everytime there is a "scandal" we add gate to the end. I know where that comes from, but where is the ite from? There is a "radical" right in this country, that is a category of people...are they insulted because people have a term for them like that?

I don't think I've ever used it, but I would think there should be some effort to look at context. We categorize people to death in this country. It just doesn't seem to me that Bushite is an insult alone, it's stating that a group of people or a person supports Bush know matter what. Some people do support their guy or their lady no matter what they do. Dems too. Isn't that technically mindless, so, therefore, kinda true?

When you start adding terms meant to insult people and not just lump them into a category, like using TARD, yea, I don't think it takes a democratic or republican mod to see that might be different than ITE, which is fine at the end of Reagan's name, but not Bush (?) and Clintonista which, as I said, seems to have been coined to simply be insulting and for labeling.

Again, I have no idea if the ITE, by definition, somehow is insulting alone like TARD, but if it is, then it's a no brainer that people shouldn't use it to describe Bush or Reagan supporters.

From whatever threads I've seen the used of ite and the end of Bush don't seem anything close to the regular offering like TARD that go on to attack liberals and dems here.

Bots is a tough call...I'd hate to me a mod on that one, but I'm totally against Shrubberies.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 04-15-06 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-15-06, 08:20 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Again, you said you had no problem with Reaganite (and Clintonistas), so I'm just wondering, if you believe that Bushite infers that people are mindless robots, what would Reaganites and Clintonistas be? Independent thinkers?
You are misunderstanding me. Please re-read my first post on the subject earlier on this page. My first sentence is contrary to the part of your statement that I quoted. It's calling people here names that we object to.

I further tried to clarify in my post just previous to this one that I don't care that people in general are called Bushites or anything else. It's what people here are called and why.
Old 04-15-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by X
You are misunderstanding me. Please re-read my first post on the subject earlier on this page. My first sentence is contrary to the part of your statement that I quoted. It's calling people here names that we object to.

I further tried to clarify in my post just previous to this one that I don't care that people in general are called Bushites or anything else. It's what people here are called and why.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I do feel you and others have a double standard for dems and repubs, which is why I simply wanted to have a polite discussion with you on the whole ITE controversy.

If a mod and a repub poster where having a polite back and forth exchange about whether Bushite was an acceptable term to be used in this forum and a dem/lib poster just slipped in a comment that referred to Bush as Bushtard, when the whole exchange is based on the idea of trying to keep people from insulting one another, I think you or another mod would have given the lib/dem who did that a 7 day ban or, at the very least, made a point to post something that called that poster out for doing the exact thing you were trying to stop.

I'm not sure what others of my democratic brothers and sisters think, but it sure seems like the repubs and conserves get away with a lot and the whole TARD comment just further illustrates that to me. That's why, whether I think the ITE at the end of Bush's name is insulting when referring to some people is ok (I do), I won't ever do it because I enjoy posting to other forums too much to risk the ban I know that I'd get for the very same thing.
Old 04-15-06, 09:42 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
If a mod and a repub poster where having a polite back and forth exchange about whether Bushite was an acceptable term to be used in this forum and a dem/lib poster just slipped in a comment that referred to Bush as Bushtard, when the whole exchange is based on the idea of trying to keep people from insulting one another, I think you or another mod would have given the lib/dem who did that a 7 day ban or, at the very least, made a point to post something that called that poster out for doing the exact thing you were trying to stop.
The context in which wmansir used "tard" was not calling people here that. It certainly wasn't anything elevating our discussion but there isn't one person here that I can think of that he directed it toward. However we would like to stop some of the stupid, off-the-wall statements we so often see here because they also do not foster intelligent discussion. (I looked at his statement again and throught it was better just to remove it. If we see someone with a pattern of making these types of posts they probably will be subject to some administrative action.)

I do not believe there is one person here who wants to be labeled as a mindless follower of anyone. So repeatedly calling members that you disagree with any type of "ites" in the context we're talking about is simply an insult.

Let me assure you, nobody is going to get 7 days off for entering into a civil discussion along these lines. We are simply trying to enforce civility toward other members.
Old 04-16-06, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to clarify, I didn't intend to call anyone here, or anywhere, that name. I was just poking fun at the suggestion that people prefer to be called a derogatory term. And it was a play on the Bushite = Bush + Shite, which I thought was funny, but didn't notice until it was mentioned.

I apologize if anyone was offended.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.