Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

California considers gay education bill

Old 04-13-06, 10:56 AM
Banned

California considers gay education bill

How many parents will send their children to private schools? It's adding to another reason why American kids are falling behind other countries in academic studies.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3780274.html

SACRAMENTO, CALIF. - The California state Senate will consider a bill that would require schools to teach students about the contributions gays and lesbians have made to society — an effort that supporters say is an attempt to battle discrimination and opponents say is designed to use the classroom to get children to embrace homosexuality.

The bill, which was passed by a Senate committee Tuesday, would require schools to buy textbooks "accurately" portraying "the sexual diversity of our society."

It could require students hear history lessons on "the contributions of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender to the economic, political, and social development of California and the United States of America."

Although it's a California bill, it could have far-reaching implications, not only by setting a precedent but also because California is the nation's largest textbook buyer and, as such, often sets the standards for publishers who sell nationwide.

The bill also could bring sex wars roaring back into state politics in an election year in which efforts to roll back gay civil rights had begun to slow.

"We're totally opposed to inserting sexual orientation into textbooks in our schools," said Karen England, executive director of the public policy group Capital Resource Institute, which believes teachings about sexual orientation should be left up to parents.

"This is more than just accepting it, it's forcing our kids to embrace it, almost celebrate it," England said. "This is not about discrimination. California is one of the most friendly gay, lesbian and transgender states in the nation."

The bill's author, state Sen. Sheila Kuehl, D-Santa Monica, rejects the criticism:

"We've been working since 1995 to try to improve the climate in schools for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender kids, as well as those kids who are just thought to be gay, because there is an enormous amount of harassment and discrimination at stake."

The measure expands on the existing state education code that already requires inclusion in the curriculum of the historical role and contributions of members of ethnic and cultural groups.
Old 04-13-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

The schools here in California can't even teach the basic reading, writing, and math well enough. Perhaps they should figure out how to teach the basics before spreading into other areas that they know even less about?
Old 04-13-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see the problem with teaching this, but it shouldn't take attention or resources away from core academic subjects.

If you pull your kids out of school because they're teaching about gay and lesbian contributions to society, well...
Old 04-13-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tollerance starts with Education.
I am for this.
Old 04-13-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Schools are getting sued for big bucks by kids who are getting constantly harrassed and beat up for being gay, so they have to do something. I'm not sure this is going to do any good though.

Maybe they should look into a "zero tolerance" rule for bullying like some schools have for weapons (where a kindergartner can get expelled for accidently bringing in a plastic butter knife with their lunch).
Old 04-13-06, 11:48 AM
X
Administrator

Can schools classify people into Mormon and Catholic and Jewish and teach about the contributions they have made?
Old 04-13-06, 11:57 AM

The bill, which was passed by a Senate committee Tuesday, would require schools to buy textbooks "accurately" portraying "the sexual diversity of our society."
This is fine by me. I think textbooks should be accurate.
It could require students hear history lessons on "the contributions of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender to the economic, political, and social development of California and the United States of America."
I'd rather students learn how to add and spell, if you don't mind. Public schools seem to have enough problem with that. I'm sure Harvey Milk was a great guy, but why should kids who can barely read have to learn about him (as opposed to, for example, John Steinbeck or 'Pat' Brown)?
Old 04-13-06, 12:07 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I don't see the problem with teaching this, but it shouldn't take attention or resources away from core academic subjects.
Exactly. As the other poster said, tolerance comes from education. And it doesn't seem like this would require neglecting other areas. It could just be a small part of a social studies class. Just like they tend to have the focus on civil rights, black leaders etc. in these classes during black history month.

Nothing wrong with having a lesson or two on gays.
Old 04-13-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
This is fine by me. I think textbooks should be accurate. I'd rather students learn how to add and spell, if you don't mind. Public schools seem to have enough problem with that. I'm sure Harvey Milk was a great guy, but why should kids who can barely read have to learn about him (as opposed to, for example, John Steinbeck or 'Pat' Brown)?
I don't think anyone should be subjected to Steinbeck, but that's just me.
Old 04-13-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One's sexuality is among the most important things to stress, and they can always combine the curriculum with other courses.

On George Washington (President 1789–1797, hetero)
Congressman Henry Light Horse Harry Lee (homo), a Revolutionary War comrade, famously eulogized Washington (hetero) as "a citizen, first in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen (not that there's anything wrong with that)."

Washington set many precedents that established tranquility in the presidential office in the years to come. His choice to peacefully relinquish the presidency to John Adams (hetero), after serving two terms in office, is seen as one of Washington's most important legacies.

He was also lauded posthumously as the "Father* of His Country" and is often considered to be the most important of Founding Fathers* of the United States.

*Note: Washington was not the "father" in this case through heterosexual intercourse, rather by designation independent of his sexual orientation. A homosexual leader at the time could have just as easily been called the father of a country or founding father.
Old 04-13-06, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I don't think anyone should be subjected to Steinbeck, but that's just me.
I don't think anyone should be subjected to California, but that's a <i>whole</i> other issue.
Old 04-13-06, 12:33 PM
Banned

Wasn't George Washington bi? or was that Lincoln?
Old 04-13-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Wasn't George Washington bi? or was that Lincoln?
Old 04-13-06, 12:57 PM
X
Administrator

What about midgets? The forgotten minority.
Old 04-13-06, 01:00 PM

Seems dumb to me. I'm not sure anybody is arguing that gays can't be productive members of society.
Old 04-13-06, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darkessenz
Don't forget the asexuals...They always forget about the asexuals
Gimme a break.

you're only asexual cause no one will fuck ya.
Old 04-13-06, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Seems dumb to me. I'm not sure anybody is arguing that gays can't be productive members of society.
Nobody is saying they're unproductive. The question is will the teaching white wash gays and the spread of AIDS?
Old 04-13-06, 01:29 PM
Suspended

Yet again, this country is fixated on the exception. I don't like this idea. Preaching about a gay person's contribution won't help any. If anything, it might increase the harassment.

My suggestion? If you have kids who harass other kids who are gay--after 3 strikes--3 letters sent to parents with the 3rd letter telling the parents the next time it happens the child is out of school and can go somewhere else, kick them out of school. I don't believe in the "Leave No Child Behind" thing. It's the minority of dumbasses that make life worse for everyone else and I don't think resources should be wasted on the problematic minority, when the majority need as many resources as possible.
Old 04-13-06, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Yet again, this country is fixated on the exception. I don't like this idea. Preaching about a gay person's contribution won't help any. If anything, it might increase the harassment.

My suggestion? If you have kids who harass other kids who are gay--after 3 strikes--3 letters sent to parents with the 3rd letter telling the parents the next time it happens the child is out of school and can go somewhere else, kick them out of school. I don't believe in the "Leave No Child Behind" thing. It's the minority of dumbasses that make life worse for everyone else and I don't think resources should be wasted on the problematic minority, when the majority need as many resources as possible.
Obligatory libertarian "If the state wasn't involved in education we wouldn't have this problem" reply.
Old 04-13-06, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Myster X
Nobody is saying they're unproductive. The question is will the teaching white wash gays and the spread of AIDS?
Care to explain?
Old 04-13-06, 01:34 PM
Suspended

Free Market Education?
Old 04-13-06, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Care to explain?
It's self-explanatory. Every group contributes to society has + and -.
Old 04-13-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

If religion (even in the context of history and what people believed) should be left to religion classes, shouldn't this be left to sexuality classes?

If not, how is it different?
Old 04-13-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Myster X
It's self-explanatory. Every group contributes to society has + and -.
In other words, one of the really bad things about homosexuals is that they spread AIDS. And saying anything else is "white washing". Right?
Old 04-13-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
How on earth would this stop harrasment of gay students?

I WANNA KICK THIS QUEER FAGGOTS LITTLE ASS, BUT NOW I FIND OUT THAT TRUMAN CAPOTE WROTE 'IN COLD BLOOD'...I GUESS I WONT!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.