Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

How can illegals openly protest without getting arrested?

Old 04-10-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

How can illegals openly protest without getting arrested?

Didn't want to put this in with the other thread because I think it has broader implications, etc.

But if a bunch of protestors who believed that marijuana should be legal and had a protest where they were lighting up their doobies, they would be arrested. If a group of protestors who thought that you should be able to make illegal copies of movies were protesting while making illegal copies of trademarked material, they would be arrested.

But here you have a group of people who are here illegally, and we have laws on the books that say they should be arrested, but they aren't?

Why is that?
Old 04-10-06, 06:40 PM
Retired

It's not an issue dealt with by the police, and the immigration officers are probably busy on their regular duties.

In short, illegal immigration isn't treated very seriously. Especially not compared to drugs which are still a huge focus of law enforcement, and a source of status among police officers (i.e. making the big drug bust).
Old 04-10-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It's not an issue dealt with by the police, and the immigration officers are probably busy on their regular duties.

In short, illegal immigration isn't treated very seriously. Especially not compared to drugs which are still a huge focus of law enforcement, and a source of status among police officers (i.e. making the big drug bust).
Take, for example, the EXCELLENT job our immigration officers are doing. 15 million illegals in the country. 15 MILLION. That's 15 million the immigration officers failed to catch and deport. They are doing an excellent job, eh?

So.. I think the real question isn't why aren't they doing anything now, I think it's better to ask what exactly do they do?
Old 04-10-06, 06:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

I believe it's a civil offense, not a criminal offense. You can't be "arrested" for being an illegal alien, just deported. I think.
Old 04-10-06, 06:53 PM
Retired

Yeah, it's definitley not criminal. It would make no sense to burden the criminal justice system with illegals.

I mean are we going to put them in jail at a cost of $20,000 a year. Things like Probation cost money per person as well, though much less.

So Gallant is right, the most they can do is detain and deport them. And then they'll just come back so it's kind of futile.
Old 04-10-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In fact, the police in California CANNOT arrest people on the grounds that they are illegal aliens. If stopped for, say, a traffic violation, they can't even ask about it, or enforce showing proof of citizenship. They can't bust people they suspect of crimes on the grounds of being illegal immigrants. This is apparently to prevent racial profiling and such.

On a side note, I don't think they can arrest people advocating the legalization of marijuana, unless they were smoking marijuana while protesting. So if they can't find out whether or not the protesters are illegal, they can't verify anyone's breaking the law either. I mean, even without these rallies, it's not like these 12 million or so people are all hiding underground.
Old 04-10-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I believe it's a civil offense, not a criminal offense. You can't be "arrested" for being an illegal alien, just deported. I think.
Seems like a good place to bring a bunch of buses to deport them, though, doesn't it?

And isn't it a federal crime? How can California pass a law to keep the feds from inforcing their laws?
Old 04-10-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod
Take, for example, the EXCELLENT job our immigration officers are doing. 15 million illegals in the country. 15 MILLION. That's 15 million the immigration officers failed to catch and deport. They are doing an excellent job, eh?

So.. I think the real question isn't why aren't they doing anything now, I think it's better to ask what exactly do they do?
People should stop blaming the immigration officers for all the illegals in the country. It isn't the officer's fault that there are no walls/fences along the border. If you want to blame someone, blame the government.
Old 04-10-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Seems like a good place to bring a bunch of buses to deport them, though, doesn't it?

And isn't it a federal crime? How can California pass a law to keep the feds from inforcing their laws?
Being an illegal alien is not a criminal offense; it is a civil offense. Penalty is a fine and disbarment from ever coming back to the US; which in my opinion is a punishment worse than going to jail.
Old 04-10-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's COOL to be illegal.
Old 04-10-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by huzefa
People should stop blaming the immigration officers for all the illegals in the country. It isn't the officer's fault that there are no walls/fences along the border. If you want to blame someone, blame the government.
I do. I also blame the immigration officers for not speaking up about the situation. When the minutemen were helping them guard the border, the official response from immigration was "thanks but no thanks. We got it all under control". They share plenty of the blame. I agree they are handcuffed but if you can't perform your job you need to do more than throw your hands up and let the problems continue.
Old 04-10-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Being an illegal alien is not a criminal offense; it is a civil offense. Penalty is a fine and disbarment from ever coming back to the US; which in my opinion is a punishment worse than going to jail.
Yeah, DISBARMENT from the US is REAAAAALLLLYYYY SCARY.

Obviously, Mexicans are pretty afraid of that threat.
Old 04-10-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure if you were joking or not... but say they were disbarred and then came back in illegally. what then? They get double-disbarred?
Old 04-10-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.city-journal.org/html/14_...gal_alien.html

Some of the most violent criminals at large today are illegal aliens. Yet in cities where the crime these aliens commit is highest, the police cannot use the most obvious tool to apprehend them: their immigration status. In Los Angeles, for example, dozens of members of a ruthless Salvadoran prison gang have sneaked back into town after having been deported for such crimes as murder, assault with a deadly weapon, and drug trafficking. Police officers know who they are and know that their mere presence in the country is a felony. Yet should a cop arrest an illegal gangbanger for felonious reentry, it is he who will be treated as a criminal, for violating the LAPD’s rule against enforcing immigration law.

The LAPD’s ban on immigration enforcement mirrors bans in immigrant-saturated cities around the country, from New York and Chicago to San Diego, Austin, and Houston. These “sanctuary policies” generally prohibit city employees, including the cops, from reporting immigration violations to federal authorities.

Such laws testify to the sheer political power of immigrant lobbies, a power so irresistible that police officials shrink from even mentioning the illegal-alien crime wave. “We can’t even talk about it,” says a frustrated LAPD captain. “People are afraid of a backlash from Hispanics.” Another LAPD commander in a predominantly Hispanic, gang-infested district sighs: “I would get a firestorm of criticism if I talked about [enforcing the immigration law against illegals].” Neither captain would speak for attribution.
I didn't quote the whole article here, but it is a fascinating read, though like with any article, to be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 04-10-06, 07:35 PM

I think the prospect of trying to detain and deport a mob of 100000 protesters is probably what is stopping it.
Old 04-10-06, 07:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by kvrdave

I think the best place to start is:

1) secure the borders, get illegal immigration from being done so openly and blatently. Anyone caught coming into the country should be deported*.

2) STOP employers from hiring them, levee stiff fines for employers that violate this rule, strongly enforce this.

3) Deport* ANYONE who is illegal who is arrested or commits any crime that is a misdermeanor and higher.

* Deport them via cargo ship to the Mexican/Guatemalan border.
Old 04-10-06, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
3 should apply to any crime period
Old 04-10-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not sure if you were joking or not... but say they were disbarred and then came back in illegally. what then? They get double-disbarred?

Don't know about you folk who were born here, but to me getting disbarred is probably more scary than going to prison. I spent years and thousands of $$$ coming here; so yes it is pretty scary.
Old 04-10-06, 09:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by mikehunt
3 should apply to any crime period
petty misdermeanor might be too burdensome on the system and be too expensive. You have to start with misdermeanor.
Old 04-10-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Apparently, today, the Metro was packed with Latinos. I thought it might be a great time for INS checkpoints at Metro stations.
Old 04-10-06, 09:57 PM
Retired

Don't know about you folk who were born here, but to me getting disbarred is probably more scary than going to prison. I spent years and thousands of $$$ coming here; so yes it is pretty scary.
You missed the point.

Disbarring means nothing to most of the illegals. They snuck in once, and they'll sneak in again. Being disbarred doesn't making sneaking in any harder.
Old 04-10-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wouldn't it be fun to wear an INS hat and shirt?
Old 04-10-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Holy Jackson
I think the prospect of trying to detain and deport a mob of 100000 protesters is probably what is stopping it.
I agree, but that sends a terrible message, imo. Plus, I think that if you had 100000 hippy protestors lighting up, they would come out in force....first with a few granades to kill the hippy stench, but then I bet they would start locking people up.

The fact that ILLEGAL immigrants can march in such huge numbers should call into question our effectiveness on dealing with them. They have basically said they don't need to obey the laws, and so far we have shown them that they are correct.
Old 04-10-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk God

I will tell you exactly why. I live in AZ, one of the top two or 3 states for illegal immigration. The reason why police or any law enforcement agency won't enforce immigration laws is because it is a federal issue, not a local, county or state issue. I've been told on numerous occasions not to bother assisting in the arrest of an illegal unless I am being supported by ICE. Because they lack the man power, they only deport the ones that get arrested. Even then, it probably less than 25% that actually do get deported. It's an issue between local, county and state law enforcement agencies because until they start seeing federal money to help support in that fight, they won't waste their time.
Old 04-11-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe illegal immigration should be a state issue then. Drugs are also a federal issue but it sure as hell gets a lot of local attention--especially in the news.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.