Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: With WHAT WE KNOW NOW, do you support military action against Iran?
Yes
26.32%
No
63.16%
Uncommitted
10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Here we go again! US Planning Iran Bombing Campaign [merged w/ poll]

Old 04-08-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here we go again! US Planning Iran Bombing Campaign

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060408...uclearmilitary

US considers use of nuclear weapons against Iran

Sat Apr 8, 2:24 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The administration of
President George W. Bush is planning a massive bombing campaign against
Iran, including use of bunker-buster nuclear bombs to destroy a key Iranian suspected nuclear weapons facility, The New Yorker magazine has reported in its April 17 issue.

The article by investigative journalist Seymour Hersh said that Bush and others in the White House have come to view Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as a potential Adolf Hitler.

"That's the name they're using," the report quoted a former senior intelligence official as saying.

A senior unnamed Pentagon adviser is quoted in the article as saying that "this White House believes that the only way to solve the problem is to change the power structure in Iran, and that means war."

The former intelligence officials depicts planning as "enormous," "hectic" and "operational," Hersh writes.

One former defense official said the military planning was premised on a belief that "a sustained bombing campaign in Iran will humiliate the religious leadership and lead the public to rise up and overthrow the government," The New Yorker pointed out.

In recent weeks, the president has quietly initiated a series of talks on plans for Iran with a few key senators and members of the House of Representatives, including at least one Democrat, the report said.

One of the options under consideration involves the possible use of a bunker-buster tactical nuclear weapon, such as the B61-11, to insure the destruction of Iran's main centrifuge plant at Natanz, Hersh writes.

But the former senior intelligence official said the attention given to the nuclear option has created serious misgivings inside the military, and some officers have talked about resigning after an attempt to remove the nuclear option from the evolving war plans in Iran failed, according to the report.

"There are very strong sentiments within the military against brandishing nuclear weapons against other countries," the magazine quotes the Pentagon adviser as saying.

The adviser warned that bombing Iran could provoke "a chain reaction" of attacks on American facilities and citizens throughout the world and might also reignite Hezbollah.

"If we go, the southern half of Iraq will light up like a candle," the adviser is quoted as telling The New Yorker.
While I've always thought that Iran was a much larger threat to the US than Iraq ever was or ever could have been, we're hardly in a position to do this effectively. Also, the notion that bombing their country with nuclear weapons will make Iranians mad at their government is insanity.

[edit]Here's a link to the New Yorker article.

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/conten.../060417fa_fact

Last edited by Jason; 04-08-06 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-08-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Better than trying to make their beards fall off!

I donīt see any military action in Iran in the next 6 months.
Old 04-08-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I find it interesting we're not helping topple the Iranian government by assisting the resistance within Iran, but instead, we're going to bomb areas Bush suspects are containing nukes. It sure as hell won't solve anything. Accept for pissing another country off.

Somehow I don't think Bush and his buds will get the point until terrorists blow up the white house, kill millions in NY and/or LA and say, "Leave us the fuck alone. Get out of the Middle East. Go worship your own God. You wanna go another round? Ok. We can do that."

In addition, it will almost certainly put another nail in the coffins of the Republican Party for quite sometime.
Old 04-08-06, 09:25 AM

Old 04-08-06, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I find it interesting we're not helping topple the Iranian government by assisting the resistance within Iran, but instead, we're going to bomb areas Bush suspects are containing nukes. It sure as hell won't solve anything. Accept for pissing another country off.

Somehow I don't think Bush and his buds will get the point until terrorists blow up the white house, kill millions in NY and/or LA and say, "Leave us the fuck alone. Get out of the Middle East. Go worship your own God. You wanna go another round? Ok. We can do that."

Aside from the fact that we are supplying some assistance already, how do you propose we do what you are suggesting?
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh
Itīs not April 1st any more.
DVD Talk Godfather

Apparently, Pharoh thinks boming countries is a way to fight terrorism and millions of dead Americans is a joking matter.
Old 04-08-06, 09:34 AM

Apparently, Pharoh thinks boming countries is a way to fight terrorism and millions of dead Americans is a joking matter.

You are now a mind reader? Did I say that? Please don't attribute things to me that never stated.

For the record, I was laughing at the silliness of the original report. Though I do agree with how crazy and evil Ahmadinejad is.
Old 04-08-06, 09:37 AM
Retired

Great, just what we need. Make another middle eastern country full of islamic fundamentalists hate us even more than they already do.

And you'd have thought with the all time low approval rankings do largely to Iraq that the administration would have at least somewhat learned their lesson.

I do agree that Iran is a larger threat than Iraq ever was, but now is not the time to attack them. Actually use the UN this time to sanction them, and save war for a absolute last resort (meaning change doesn't happen and they are clearly on the verge of attacking another country).
Old 04-08-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the record, I was laughing at the silliness of the original report. Though I do agree with how crazy and evil Ahmadinejad is.
Is he crazy and evil? What specific things has he done (not just said) that lead you to believe he is crazy and evil? Pursuing nuclear capabilities?
Old 04-08-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Aside from the fact that we are supplying some assistance already, how do you propose we do what you are suggesting?
Oh, so now we're helping the resistance already--like we did in Iraq?

Please.

We've been helping out Iranian resistance groups for over 20 years and it's achieved NOTHING. Repeat. NOTHING. It's because we haven't dedicated resources to doing it.

Knowing how "superior" and "intelligent" our military is, they'll bomb the wrong location. That'll be dandy. Then we'll have more requests from Bush to increase military spending even higher because the US Military will need a "makeover" to prevent "mistakes".

In addition, there is no guarantee whatsoever this will hinder their nuclear goals. None. It is apparent the Bush Administration is throwing hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars at voodoo remedies which they feel will solve the problem.

Instead of asking me what I propose, why do you think bombing nuclear targets is going to solve anything? My opinion is...it won't. All it will do, is give rogue countries more reason to expedite their plans for the US invasion. We already have illegal Mexicans becoming a problem and sucking social programs, and just think when you add the suicide bomber factor. Wow, life will be just grand in the US.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-08-06 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-08-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You are now a mind reader? Did I say that? Please don't attribute things to me that never stated.

When you put a after a statement like mine, yeah, it becomes pretty obvious. You mean you waited until the exact time as I did, then posted. Or did you read my post and then use the . Seems a little suspicious to me, but ok, I'll take your word I was wrong.

But anyway, Iran is BEGGING the US to bomb them. This is what they want. I'm just amazed the Bush Administration is so stupid to play into their hands.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-08-06 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-08-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

since when did bunker-busters become nuclear weapons...?

My opinion: Bomb Iran, and get the oil.
Old 04-08-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Better than trying to make their beards fall off!
Actually, this will make that happen too. At least for the ones in the fallout area.
Old 04-08-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Parcher
since when did bunker-busters become nuclear weapons...?

My opinion: Bomb Iran, and get the oil.
Well, we might get the oil but you sure as hell won't see a price break here at home. If anything, oil will skyrocket in price. And once again, Bush and his buddies will benefit.
Old 04-08-06, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by sracer
Is he crazy and evil? What specific things has he done (not just said) that lead you to believe he is crazy and evil? Pursuing nuclear capabilities?

Besides being involved in a strategic planning meeting with Mughniyeh and other boy scouts, overseeing a signigicant increase in the numbers and use of the Basij, including major increases in internal kidnappings, amputations, and executions, and being responsible for a serious uptick in funding to fundamentalist terrorists since his ascension perhaps not much. Oh, and that whole striving for nuclear capabilities along with new missile and weapon technology, but you already touched on that.

Regardless, I still don't understand why you so easily dismiss what he says, what his intentions are. Of course, I also look at who else he is speaking for, whose biddings he is attempting to undertake.
Old 04-08-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Besides being involved in a strategic planning meeting with Mughniyeh and other boy scouts, overseeing a signigicant increase in the numbers and use of the Basij, including major increases in internal kidnappings, amputations, and executions, and being responsible for a serious uptick in funding to fundamentalist terrorists since his ascension perhaps not much. Oh, and that whole striving for nuclear capabilities along with new missile and weapon technology, but you already touched on that.
If that is what you are using to measure "crazy and evil" then all of the world's dictators are "crazy and evil".

Regardless, I still don't understand why you so easily dismiss what he says, what his intentions are. Of course, I also look at who else he is speaking for, whose biddings he is attempting to undertake.
Because words are just that... words. Talk is cheap. Until he actually ACTS on what he is saying, then he is just posturing. Depicting Ahmadinejad as "crazy and evil" is the type of hyperbole that the Bush administration used in the prelude to the invasion of Iraq. "Hussein is a Hitler" or some similar comparison.
Old 04-08-06, 10:33 AM

When you put a after a statement like mine, yeah, it becomes pretty obvious. You mean you waited until the exact time as I did, then posted. Or did you read my post and then use the . Seems a little suspicious to me, but ok, I'll take your word I was wrong.

But anyway, Iran is BEGGING the US to bomb them. This is what they want. I'm just amazed the Bush Administration is so stupid to play into their hands.

You were in this case.

We aren't going to bomb them. However, I wonder if those who believe that there can be no such thing as a War on Terrorism, as it is akin to the mythical wars on crime or poverty, if a bombing campaing to eliminate the mass destruction capabilities of such a seemingly dangerous state as Iran would be favourable option? That is of course if the bombing could be effective.

(I realise what your take on the matter is already.)
Old 04-08-06, 10:40 AM

If that is what you are using to measure "crazy and evil" then all of the world's dictators are "crazy and evil".
No, not all believe that bringing about the near end of the world is something to strive for. As I have said before, when even Khomeini thought his group was crazy and too extreme, there might be something to it. Maybe it's just me though.

Because words are just that... words. Talk is cheap. Until he actually ACTS on what he is saying, then he is just posturing. Depicting Ahmadinejad as "crazy and evil" is the type of hyperbole that the Bush administration used in the prelude to the invasion of Iraq. "Hussein is a Hitler" or some similar comparison.

I wish I good feel as secure as you, feel as if the world has to luxury to simply wait. I don't.
Old 04-08-06, 10:41 AM

Oh, so now we're helping the resistance already--like we did in Iraq?

Please.

We've been helping out Iranian resistance groups for over 20 years and it's achieved NOTHING. Repeat. NOTHING. It's because we haven't dedicated resources to doing it.

Knowing how "superior" and "intelligent" our military is, they'll bomb the wrong location. That'll be dandy. Then we'll have more requests from Bush to increase military spending even higher because the US Military will need a "makeover" to prevent "mistakes".

In addition, there is no guarantee whatsoever this will hinder their nuclear goals. None. It is apparent the Bush Administration is throwing hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars at voodoo remedies which they feel will solve the problem.

Instead of asking me what I propose, why do you think bombing nuclear targets is going to solve anything? My opinion is...it won't. All it will do, is give rogue countries more reason to expedite their plans for the US invasion. We already have illegal Mexicans becoming a problem and sucking social programs, and just think when you add the suicide bomber factor. Wow, life will be just grand in the US.

Again, I never said that bombing at this time would work.
Old 04-08-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
hasn't this same story come out every few months?
Old 04-08-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, not all believe that bringing about the near end of the world is something to strive for. As I have said before, when even Khomeini thought his group was crazy and too extreme, there might be something to it. Maybe it's just me though.
It's not just you. The belief that Ahmadinejad is "crazy and evil" is very popular. But that belief goes counter to history. Ahmadinejad has shown that he is patient and methodical....working his way up over 25+ years from a participant in the Iranian hostage crisis to leading the country. So unless he suddenly "snapped", his rhetoric is just for effect.

I wish I good feel as secure as you, feel as if the world has to luxury to simply wait. I don't.
What do we lose by waiting for him to do something? If he doesn't, then we've saved billions of dollars, 1000's of lives, and show that we're not some flakey paranoid nation. IF he does something (like launch a nuke at Israel) then we'll be justified in doing what we have to do.
Old 04-08-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mikehunt
hasn't this same story come out every few months?
Well, our China, Venezuela and Iran invasion plans seem to rotate. The press likes to tell all three sides of the story. You know... to balance things out.
Old 04-08-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bush: "You can't have nukes or we'll nuke you"

That hypocritical bastard must go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just amazed the Bush Administration is so stupid to play into their hands.
I'm not, I'm more amazed that Dubya can find Iran on a map
please impeach this war loving ass!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Bacon; 04-08-06 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-08-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Bush: "You can't have nukes or we'll nuke you"

That hypocritical bastard must go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright Đ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.