Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Girl, 5, Forced To Apologize For Hugging Classmate - Parents Looking For New School

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Girl, 5, Forced To Apologize For Hugging Classmate - Parents Looking For New School

Old 04-07-06, 02:29 PM
Political Exile

I hope the parents will stick to their plan to find a new school for their daughter.

This is pretty short, so I'm not bolding anything.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/cons...75/detail.html

Girl, 5, Forced To Apologize For Hugging Classmate

Parents Looking For New School For Girl

April 5, 2006

MAYNARD, Mass. -- A family in Maynard is outraged after their 5-year-old daughter was forced to write a letter denouncing hugging after a classmate embraced her.

NewsCenter 5's Amalia Barreda reported that Brenda Brier and Michael Marino pulled their daughter, Savannah, out of school early Wednesday. The couple was angry after a meeting with officials at the Greenmeadow Elementary School in Maynard, where Savannah is in kindergarten.

At issue is a hug Savannah said she got on the playground from a friend named Sophie. Savannah hugged Sophie back. The hugs resulted in Savannah having to write a letter, complete with teacher corrections, that read, "I touch Sophie because she touch me and I didn't like it because she was hugging me. I didn't like when she hugged me."

"She said, 'I'm really sad that I got in trouble for hugging,'" Brier said.

"I can understand if boys are playing rough or kids are pulling each other around -- that's one thing. But when kids are being affectionate, I mean hugging, hey, they shouldn't be disciplined over it and they shouldn't be lying in letters making the kid say the opposite that they don't like to hug," Marino said.

School Superintendent Mark Masterson told NewsCenter 5 there was a "dispute of the facts between a hug and a lifting of a child off the floor." The superintendent said the school reported "one girl bear hugged another girl and lifted her off the ground. The aide who was monitoring told the teacher. The teacher asked several students to write a note to their parents and describe what happened."

Savannah said she did not lift her classmate off the ground.

"They're trying to accuse her now, basically," Brier said.

Savannah's parents said it should have never gone this far, and want an apology from the school. The family said they are so upset they'll start looking for a new school for their daughter to attend.
Old 04-07-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shouldn't this be in Other?
Old 04-07-06, 03:44 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Crazy.
Old 04-07-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Man, this is one of those stories where you think there has to be a hell of a lot more to it than we are reading.
Old 04-07-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Man, this is one of those stories where you think there has to be a hell of a lot more to it than we are reading.
To me, it seems like a case of parents defending their little darling and making a mountain out of a molehill. I doubt any teacher would ask a kid to apologize for a normal hug... and besides, what the hell is the big deal about having the kid write an apology? Clearly the other kid didn't want to be hugged. At the very least, as a parent I would ask my child to explain their intentions, and apologize if they made the other person angry or upset.

But instead, the parents run off to the media and blow this out of proportion without even thinking about the consequences for their daughter. Nice. Welcome to parenting in the 21st century.

Old 04-07-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

She was asking for it. Did you see how she was dressed. She was just begging to be hugged.
Old 04-07-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I agree with Mojo that the parents have WAY over reacted to this. However, I also think that the teacher should have just said "please get away from her, she doesn't want to hug you right now" or something simple.

I guess she didn't want a couple of 5 year old lesbians in her classroom.
Old 04-07-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-07-06, 07:40 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Sorry.
Old 04-07-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bando get away from me now!!!

I don't want to catch teh gey

I guess the other kid didn't want to get hugged because the little moron knew the teach would "hit it" later
Old 04-07-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe the idiot dumbass retard parents shoul've read this sentence in the report:

School Superintendent Mark Masterson told NewsCenter 5 there was a "dispute of the facts between a hug and a lifting of a child off the floor."
Old 04-07-06, 08:38 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Maybe the idiot dumbass retard parents shoul've read this sentence in the report:

School Superintendent Mark Masterson told NewsCenter 5 there was a "dispute of the facts between a hug and a lifting of a child off the floor."

Then why was the child told to write an apology for hugging and not for lifting someone off the floor?
Old 04-07-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, that's why there is more to the story and the facts aren't clear. What is clear, is what the School Super said. I can't see a teacher preventing two kids from hugging. There must have been more physical effort going on, and the teacher thought someone would get hurt.
Old 04-07-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Then why was the child told to write an apology for hugging and not for lifting someone off the floor?
I suspect that the kids were hugging, and one girl (Savannah) was overly enthusiastic and lifted the other off the floor. And, if that's the case, I can understand why the teachers are concerned about that and don't want it to happen again, lest the child being lifted incur some serious head injury.

Assuming that's the case, then in Savannah's mind, all she was doing was "hugging" Sophie. So when she says she is sad she got in trouble for hugging, she means she is sad she got in trouble for lifting Sophie off the ground. I suspect the teachers were not trying to "get her in trouble", but merely emphasize the importance of not repeating the maneuver.
Old 04-08-06, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shoveler
I suspect that the kids were hugging, and one girl (Savannah) was overly enthusiastic and lifted the other off the floor. And, if that's the case, I can understand why the teachers are concerned about that and don't want it to happen again, lest the child being lifted incur some serious head injury.
Give me a break. The girl is five. How high could she lift another child off the ground? If you're that concerned about an injury, you might as well cancel recess, because they could get hurt far easier playing tag, tetherball, etc.
Old 04-08-06, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...133964&format=

Hugs or horseplay: Playground protocol questioned
By Marie Szaniszlo
Friday, April 7, 2006 - Updated: 01:15 PM EST

Maynard school officials yesterday denied they had disciplined one kindergartner for hugging another, alleging that the girl was “roughhousing” on the playground.

“This is not an issue about hugging,” said Superintendent Mark R. Masterson. “This is an issue about safety.”

According to Masterson, 5-year-old Savannah Marino and her class were outside Greenmeadow Elementary School Tuesday afternoon when she and a half-dozen other students began playing “inappropriately.”

Some were running around, flipping children’s hair, he said, when an aide saw Savannah pick up her friend “6 inches off the ground.”

Her friend told a teacher the gesture made her uncomfortable, Masterson said.

So the teacher asked all six students to reflect on their actions, write a letter about what they had done and why it was inappropriate, and bring it home to their parents.

“I do like hugs,” a pigtailed Savannah said as she perched on a chair in the dining room of her home yesterday. “But I don’t like to get in trouble.”

So, even though she never actually picked her friend off the ground and was standing in line with her, not running around with the other students, she said, she wrote, “I tuched (sic) Sophie because she tuched (sic) me. I didn’t like it,” and her teacher corrected her spelling.

Later that day, she went home, looking forlorn, and when her mother, Brenda Brier, asked what was wrong, Savannah showed her the letter and explained what had happened.

“I said to the principal, ‘What is your policy on touching?’ She said, ‘There’s no touching.’ I said, ‘What about hugs?’ ” Brier said. “ ‘She said, Hugs are fine.’ ”

By yesterday, the district was being inundated with calls from the media asking whether one kindergartner had actually been punished for hugging another.

“This isn’t about safety; this is about saving face,” Brier said. “They’d look foolish if they admitted they’d punished a child for hugging someone. So they’re lumping Savannah and her friend in with the students who were misbehaving.”
Asked whether it was acceptable for one student to hug another, Masterson hesitated before answering, “Hugs are OK.”

“If there’s been a misunderstanding,” he said, “that needs to be sorted out between the student and teacher.”
Savannah, 5, and her mother Brenda talk about the hug she’d given to a friend at school that got her in trouble.(Staff Photo by David Goldman)

I don't think that we will know what ever really happened, so I'm going to run off now and flip some girl's hair.
Old 04-08-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Future bumper sticker by Brenda:

GOD HUG'S AMERICA! WHY CAN'T SAVANNAH?
Old 04-08-06, 10:10 PM

Police have released this photo of a man seen near the school:

Old 04-08-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's what kills me: that kid wasn't disciplined. She wrote a letter. It was actually a very nice way of handling things.

My five year old sometimes gets sad or upset because he misunderstands something his teacher said or did. So as his parent, I sit him down and talk to him and try to explain what was going on. And if I'm not sure, I talk to the teacher, and then we go from there.

Instead, apparenly Ms. Brenda Beir decided it would be a much more appropriate thing to just give a call to her local TV station.
Old 04-09-06, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I often wonder if weight is associated with how much a person whines and bitches about the littlest things.