Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

A little de Villepin humor...

Old 04-04-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A little de Villepin humor...

Now, I hope I'm not accused of "France-bashing" here, as I feel humor can cut across partisan lines---I got many a good chuckle out of the Cheney quail-hunting jokes, and the Hillary Clinton barbs. Anyways, I just thought this bit on de Villepin was pure comedy gold

"Dominique de Villepin is not able to live only the reality. He needs more."

Poetry has always mixed with politics in this unusual life. His political writings are peppered with poetic references and, while a cabinet minister, he published a dense volume of verse, The Shark And The Seagull.

It was taken as a hymn of praise to the French social model. The seagull symbolises the subtle, praiseworthy values of France. And the shark stands for - what else? - the hungry, ruthless United States:

"The seagull is intoxicated by the sky. She turns, carried by the winds, with undulating wing, uttering from time to time her agonising peal of laughter... The straight line is rarely her course. She listens to the world."

I'm not sure I'd rank that up there with Jefferson, Lincoln or Churchill's inspiring descriptions of their nation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4875200.stm
Old 04-05-06, 05:13 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Aren't seagulls the birds which kept saying "Mine" in Finding Nemo?